80's era Howard Jones equipment?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Re: 80's era Howard Jones equipment?

Post by iProg » Wed May 05, 2010 9:52 am

elsongs wrote:
Micke wrote:
According to some sources on the internet HoJo's supposed to have used an Emulator II on Dream Into Action, but I can't tell whether that's true or not. I know that he had one by late '85/early '86 so maybe he just forgot to include it in the gearlist he sent me!?
Yes, he used the Emulator II for the slap bass sound on most of the Dream Into Action tunes, like "Things Will Only Get Better," "Is There A Difference?" and the title track.
The slap bass sound comes from the EII. Nik Kershaw also used in on songs like "Radio Musicola" and Don "Quixote"

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed May 05, 2010 1:42 pm

Okay guys, then we can add the the EII to the instruments used on Dream Into Action. Hojo must
have forgotten about it when he sent me that gearlist. According to some sources out there he would also
have used a Fairlight on that record but I kind of doubt it.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Micke wrote:Okay guys, then we can add the the EII to the instruments used on Dream Into Action. Hojo must
have forgotten about it when he sent me that gearlist. According to some sources out there he would also
have used a Fairlight on that record but I kind of doubt it.
I have the LP. Don't think I've heard any fairlight sounds on it so far... ;)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed May 05, 2010 3:31 pm

The Hojo songs Things Can Only Get Better and Dreams Into Action are both mentioned
in this list of "Most poular Fairlight songs":
http://www.ghservices.com/gregh/fairligh/topsong/

Hmmm....
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Heh, sincere apologies for resurrecting a 6 yr old thread, but none more relevant to my question ...

"What is Love?" just shuffled up, and was trying to determine the drums. According to this thread, it's a Drumulator.
Can anyone verify? The limited time I spent w/ one, didn't immediately identify it, though that snare IS pitched fairly low, and there's a whole lotta reverb as well ... thx for any corroboration.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:18 pm

walkathon wrote:Heh, sincere apologies for resurrecting a 6 yr old thread, but none more relevant to my question ...

"What is Love?" just shuffled up, and was trying to determine the drums. According to this thread, it's a Drumulator.
Can anyone verify? The limited time I spent w/ one, didn't immediately identify it, though that snare IS pitched fairly low, and there's a whole lotta reverb as well ... thx for any corroboration.
My money is on the Drumulator. Definately sounds like it to me. I also read that Rupert Hine would replace drum sounds and such using the sampling capabilities of the Eventide Harmonizer.

The Drumulator has individual outs, so it would be easy to process its sounds individually with reverb, compression, pitch shift, etc.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:38 pm

I just took these photos of the 25th Anniversary booklet that I bought when HoJo played at House of Blues a few years ago (also had him sign one of the metal ends from my Jupiter 8). Samples were replaced using an AMS Digital Delay unit.

Although omitted on the Human's Lib list, it's obvious a Simmons SDSV was used on "Equality" and "Hunt the Self" which was also used in the "Like To Get To Know You Well" video of the High Wycombe concert. I also read somewhere that the SCI T8 was used for horn sounds on "Pearl in the Shell".

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Z wrote:
walkathon wrote:Heh, sincere apologies for resurrecting a 6 yr old thread, but none more relevant to my question ...

My money is on the Drumulator. Definately sounds like it to me. I also read that Rupert Hine would replace drum sounds and such using the sampling capabilities of the Eventide Harmonizer.

The Drumulator has individual outs, so it would be easy to process its sounds individually with reverb, compression, pitch shift, etc.
According to an old email I have from HoJo, various drum sounds on that album were replaced with samples using an AMS. The main drum machine
was the Drumulator though.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Z wrote:Samples were replaced using an AMS Digital Delay unit.
How did that work? Did the AMS have some kind of storage capability?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:33 pm

cornutt wrote:
Z wrote:Samples were replaced using an AMS Digital Delay unit.
How did that work? Did the AMS have some kind of storage capability?
I had never heard of the AMS Delay unit until reading about it in the HoJo book.

I would image it works similar to the Boss Sampling Delay pedal and Micro Series 1/2 rack from the 80s. One of my buddies had the pedal and we'd sample the 808 kick from the beginning of LL Cool J's "Jack The Ripper" and trigger it with the trigger out on another buddy's TR-626 (we had to pool equipment back then since the sampling delay pedal was $200 and the TR-626 was $400 and we only made $5/hr at our part-time jobs). The sample would stay in memory as long as there was power to the unit.

The Eventide Harmonizer had a similar feature. That's what Laurie Anderson used for the repeating "ha" sample on "O Superman".

I also read that Mutt Lange did a similar thing with Rick Allen's drum sounds on Pyromania using a Fairlight CMI. I had always though Allen used a hybrid kit with an SDSV for the "skinned" drums. Which would have made since for Allen to easily transition to the nearly full-electronic kit after losing his arm.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:57 pm

So you had to re-sample it for each gig? I wonder if that's what Howard (or a roadie) had to do with the AMS for each gig. I presume the had the samples all compiled on a tape.

More difficult things certainly have been done... imagine being the Pink Floyd roadie who had to re-program the "On The Run" sequence into the Synthi-AKS for each gig.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:21 am

It was more likely a case that the drum sounds used live weren't identical to the ones used on the album. That was common at the time. Trevor Morais, a long running collaborator of Rupert Hines', played electronic drums live with Jones in the mid '80s. That's him in the video for "Things Can Only Get Better."
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:03 am

cornutt wrote:So you had to re-sample it for each gig? I wonder if that's what Howard (or a roadie) had to do with the AMS for each gig. I presume the had the samples all compiled on a tape.
I don't think the replaced sounds were used live, only in the studio.

As I recommended earlier in this thread, it's definitely worth checking out the High Wycombe concert video "Like To Get To Know You Well" to see the technological prowess that HoJo had performing solo with pre-MIDI gear. In that video, drums are from Emu Drumulator and Simmons SDSV triggered by SDS6.

[youtube][/youtube]

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:00 am

Micke wrote:The Hojo songs Things Can Only Get Better and Dreams Into Action are both mentioned
in this list of "Most poular Fairlight songs":
http://www.ghservices.com/gregh/fairligh/topsong/

Hmmm....
Howard Jones didn't use the Fairlight until his next album in 1986, "One to One." the first single, "You Know I Love You...Don't You?" had Fairlight orchestral hits all over the place.