Aww.. Roland D-50!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Aww.. Roland D-50!!!

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:36 pm

There is no doubting in my mind, one of the most charismatic factory patch sets of all time has to be that of the Roland D-50. I've just heard Roxette's blast from the past, "Silver Blue", on the radio which is just dripping in Eric Persing's haunting creations. To so some this sound set may have dated horribly but there is little doubting it was the work of a genius and just so unique in nature. I love the way the D-50's sounds are so full interesting harmonics and musically related aliasing which somehow just add to that glassy nature.

All factory patch sets have their strengths and weaknesses, and some have aged worse than others, but there is little doubting the D-50 was a wonderful synth and had an unusual amount of decent factory sounds.

Unless I'm very much mistaken I also hear the SY77's "Ice Piano" in this track, another lovely synth in action - albeit with a lower quantity of decent factory sounds to be enjoyed.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Re: Aww.. Roland D-50!!!

Post by portland » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:47 pm

HideawayStudio wrote: I also hear the SY77's "Ice Piano" in this track, another lovely synth in action - albeit with a lower quantity of decent factory sounds to be enjoyed.
With the SY77, there are a few factory presets that are still fresh, even more so than the D50. But the majority of them are much worse.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 pm

portland wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote: I also hear the SY77's "Ice Piano" in this track, another lovely synth in action - albeit with a lower quantity of decent factory sounds to be enjoyed.
With the SY77, there are a few factory presets that are still fresh, even more so than the D50. But the majority of them are much worse.
Agreed. It's a terrible shame actually because the SY77 is an -extremely- capable and underrated synth. With the right sounds loaded it's very capable, flexible and responsive. It's one of the finest digital synths Yahama ever made.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:
portland wrote:
Agreed. It's a terrible shame actually because the SY77 is an -extremely- capable and underrated synth. With the right sounds loaded it's very capable, flexible and responsive. It's one of the finest digital synths Yahama ever made.
Exactly. Better to use an external FX for reverb though, the internal one is dated in a bad way.