Analogue Solutions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Analogue Solutions

Post by Doooooooom » Sat May 01, 2010 11:47 am

This website doesn't seem to have any information about a British synth company called Analogue Solutions, but on checking out their website they seem to be making some serious stuff. I didn't even know about these guys, although I read about the Red Square in a magazine once. Are there any users of Analogue Solutions equipment out there on this site? If so how would you compare their synths to other current analogue equipment such as Moogs and DSI? Are they stable or do they go out of tune? Are their basic components: Oscillators / Filters high quality or inferior compared to more well-known companys? (too many questions?)

theglyph

Re: Analogue Solutions

Post by theglyph » Sat May 01, 2010 2:47 pm

They have many great products including a nice selection of modular gear. There are many analog manufacturers out there right now. Here are a few:

http://www.cwejman.net/ (check out the SK1)

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/

http://www.doepfer.de/home.htm

http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com/

and there are many more!
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

I recently purchased the Europa sequencer. I was hoping for more polyphonic tracks and more than 24 note numbers for the drum track, but somewhat satisfied with the product. I'm not real pleased with the "customer service" of their website as I am interested in mods for my drum machines and it seems like I have to pull teeth to gat any information from them.

Here's a video I made of my Europa controlling a Tama TechStar pre-MIDI drum synth using the Europa's trigger outs:

I have no experience with their synths or any other gear for that matter. The Red Square has popped up for sale locally a couple of times and I have been interested in trying one, but haven't been fast enough to repond to the sellers' ads.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Sat May 01, 2010 7:54 pm

The Europa is awesome, if not a bit expensive. But most of A.Sol's stuff is. That Tama has a killer clap!
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:46 am

Agreed, the Europa looks awesome.

They've just released a new version of the Vostok, called Tereshkova:

Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Analogue Solutions gear is "odd". Examples: on the Red Square, VCO2 is not coupled to the MIDI interface and if you want to use it as a tuned oscillator rather than a modulator you have to fine tune the pitch tracking by hand. Lots of use of ASR envelopes rather than ADSR.

It appears the self contained units use some of the same circuits developed for the Concussor modular.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Mon May 03, 2010 10:18 pm

They're a bit odd to deal with too. About 10 years back i got some Kenton kit from them that they didn;t actually seem to be familiar with the specification of.

Going back a year or so i tried to buy an oberkorn sequencer from them, but when i rang up the guy said they were out of stock and waiting for parts, and that i was better off emailing in a week or two. Then when i did email i got no reply, so then i tried ringing a few times and just kept getting an answerphone. Then someone offered me a used Alalogue Systems sequencer on here so i took that instead :lol:

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 pm

the aSol SY02 dual filter's not quite the MS-20 it's trying to emulate, but it's still a sweet module.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue May 04, 2010 1:06 am

I had their dual osc module when i first started building my modular, and i took it down to George Mattson's place with me when we built my modular case. I had him scope it to see if it was properly tuned, and we found out that all of the wave forms on both VCOs had DC offset on them. WTF!
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8