ebay synth price collected

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
serv

ebay synth price collected

Post by serv » Sat May 01, 2010 2:33 pm

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... GbHc&hl=en

I've been collecting prices of synths, dj gears and midi controllers since March 2010.
Checking ebay and craigslist is one of my hobby so I just decided to start doing this.
march data's lacking, but starting in April, I've collected almost all synths on bids.
I haven't been collecting ones on buy it know because I find that their prices are inflated by 20 to 30% of the regular price.
Let me know what you guys think about it.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Re: ebay synth price collected

Post by wiss » Sat May 01, 2010 2:53 pm

if you check the buy it now, just this week alone,a PRO-ONE(claimed to be fully functional) sold for $40.00, a novation bass station sold for $250.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 am

It would be really cool if this data could be collected automatically somehow and then averages calculated and displayed in the VSE synth database. Or at least collect the day annually and update VSE with the values. The numbers in the current database are just guesses by whomever wrote the review… when they wrote the review (prices change over time). I'm positive that some people's pricing on CL and eBay comes directly from the VSE values, which is unfortunate when the values are wildly wrong. I've seen people point to VSE as "proof" that their asking price is good.

Oh well, just an idea.

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Post by Ry-Fi » Sun May 02, 2010 8:39 am

Actually, this has been done here: www.prepal.com.

Unfortunately, I get the impression that the site's no longer pulling in information, and that these averages don't really reflect the current market values much anymore...

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sun May 02, 2010 9:44 am

we actually had a good thread about this a while ago. the general consensus was that building the database would be easy but someone would have to proof all of the data since ebay's auctions typically have too much noise.

the classic example is the "L@@K ROLAND JUPITER-8 SAMPLES !!!!!! HAWT SOUNDZ FOR YOUR BEATZ YO" type of auction listing. an ebay auction harvester might classify that as a Jupiter-8 sale and would clearly skew the price trend.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Sun May 02, 2010 10:19 am

I kept a similar log for years on Ebay sales in the UK represting good working models (very minor issues permitted otherwise they were excluded). As there's so many factors to influence final price such as location, seller feedback, pick up only etc. I found it easier to state the actual lowest and highest price each model achieved with an up or down arrow at the side to indicate the trend of prices increasing or decreasing. It does take a lot of work and think you'll get bored of doing it after a while, particularly if you're completing it each month, some kit prices change significantly within a relatively short period; i.e. TR808, Jup 8 etc. Otherwise, if it's your hobby, fill your boots ! :)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun May 02, 2010 6:30 pm

serv wrote:I haven't been collecting ones on buy it know because I find that their prices are inflated by 20 to 30% of the regular price.
But they are still completed sales. Why would you not count those? Whether or not they are inflated, they are still valid sales...To be truly accurate you would need to count ALL sales and find an average. Not all buy it nows are over inflated either... so it seems you are missing a considerable amount of sales which would change the overall average price.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sun May 02, 2010 7:06 pm

wiss wrote:if you check the buy it now, just this week alone,a PRO-ONE(claimed to be fully functional) sold for $40.00, a novation bass station sold for $250.
heh, like new or dug out of a hole in the ground?

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 pm

If the oscillators work the CEM chips are worth more than $40 so...

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon May 03, 2010 4:09 am

space6oy wrote:
wiss wrote:if you check the buy it now, just this week alone,a PRO-ONE(claimed to be fully functional) sold for $40.00, a novation bass station sold for $250.
heh, like new or dug out of a hole in the ground?

Is the general consensus that this was a legit sale? I don't think it was... My best guess is that someone local sold off CL or something and just did the transaction through eBay for feedback purposes or something. Just doesn't seem like in the internet age someone would sell a pro one in even poor condition that cheap. Plus the fact that it clearly is not mint... hmm.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Mon May 03, 2010 6:32 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:Is the general consensus that this was a legit sale? I don't think it was... My best guess is that someone local sold off CL or something and just did the transaction through eBay for feedback purposes or something. Just doesn't seem like in the internet age someone would sell a pro one in even poor condition that cheap. Plus the fact that it clearly is not mint... hmm.
sometimes people straight up don't know what they're selling is worth. & sometimes people are simply idiots. happens...

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 pm

But they are still completed sales.
Hopefully but not necessarily, the 'winner' could be a non paying bidder and the seller might not relist.

Of course some or all of the other bidders could be non-paying bidders too, who just happened not to get called on it that time.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Mon May 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Okay. It's just that you're guessing, picking and choosing what to include. Sort of kills some of the validity.

Purity_Control

Post by Purity_Control » Tue May 04, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm not picking and choosing anything because i'm not keeping score. I just mean that we don;t actually know how much validity any of these things had in the first place.

When it comes down to it, seller, buyer and bidders could all be the same person, for some nefarious reason or just because, and we are not any the wiser :?

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 pm

serv wrote:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... GbHc&hl=en

I've been collecting prices of synths, dj gears and midi controllers since March 2010.
Checking ebay and craigslist is one of my hobby so I just decided to start doing this.
march data's lacking, but starting in April, I've collected almost all synths on bids.
I haven't been collecting ones on buy it know because I find that their prices are inflated by 20 to 30% of the regular price.
Until one year a go I use a spreadsheet like you, but it didn't worked very well so I made a software that do the
job with a minimum work
How does it work:
  • I do the search and/or get them from eBay by mail.
    Give to the software the eBay item number and it question eBay servers and inserts a record in da
    database,
    the last step is to classify the auction by type, brand and model this is also made by the software.
    Periodical, once a day I order an update where it ask the status of the open auction and update the records.

Finally it export CSV to load in any spreadsheet software to be analysed.
In practice I follow up to 150 auctions.
The example shows the Roland Juno-60 entry.