ALL synths will eventually become vintage for somebody

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: ALL synths will eventually become vintage for somebody

Post by Solderman » Tue May 04, 2010 7:17 am

I'd like to think this is true because we will get old, and things we liked when we were mere whippersnappers were unobtainable at that point in our lives. Such covetous behavior is appalling and depraved from an objective point of view, but part of what makes us tick anyway.

For the later generations falling back on the older technology for whatever reason, "vintage" holds more value because they are scrambling for a limited supply versus higher demand, fueled by competing interests with the old f**k* who just want to live out their dreams.

The real shame is the rules of the marketplace have no sense of justice or fairness, only whose pocketbook is fatter. Screw vintage. Get what you like, and if you only like vintage, best of luck to you.

*This is not a derogatory term. See George Carlin's last HBO special.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue May 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Vintage, for many, does indicate value as well as age... otherwise everything everywhere would be vintage at some point, in which case the term loses any distinction from "old." The same goes for "antique." Something called "antique" is usually something with some value to someone, otherwise, again: old.

As for synths... there won't be a craze for every wave of new type of synthesis, nor will there be a craze for every model of synth. For a synth to become valuable, it has to have some connection with the buyer. Thus far, these connections have had to do with sound, nostalgia, celebrity usage, and association with a specific genre.

While all synths will eventually be "vintage," (if everyone is going to opt for vintage=old), most synths won't inspire a craze. Especially as things head towards software, as emulations of software will be a bit easier. :wink:

Damn. That M1 came out in 88 or so. WHEN WILL THE M1 CRAZE BEGIN? I'm getting anxious.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 pm

I seem to remember someone on here making the statement that the M1 is prized in Tejano music circles for certain patches (accordion, horns, etc.) and that those boards regularly go for hundreds of dollars more in South Texas than they do anywhere else in the country.

So yeah, the process has already begun. Not really any more ridiculous than someone buying a $5000 vintage Mellotron because they like the Moody Blues super much.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Wed May 05, 2010 9:16 am

I think that the Roland D50 and the Yamaha SY77/TG77/SY99 might be future classics. No one has yet fully exploited the possibilities of the SY range.

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Sun May 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Solderman wrote:The real shame is the rules of the marketplace have no sense of justice or fairness, only whose pocketbook is fatter. Screw vintage. Get what you like, and if you only like vintage, best of luck to you.
I agree with this.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sun May 23, 2010 8:05 pm

depulse wrote:I think that the Roland D50 and the Yamaha SY77/TG77/SY99 might be future classics. No one has yet fully exploited the possibilities of the SY range.
Agreed. And the JD-800 / 990 as already mentioned in this thread. And the venerable FS1r. I think the big digital powerhouse workstation synths of the late 80s / early 90s will start becoming very valuable once again. They have a unique sound.

ensoniqphreak
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives

Post by ensoniqphreak » Mon May 24, 2010 7:41 am

Except the ESQ-1 which apparently will *never* ever go up in value 8-) . Seriously though--f**k plasticy bullshit. My micron will sell for almost its full sticker price on ebay TOMORROW.... more moneys toward the new toy fund for me! Still on a DCO kick--looking for a Jx-8p or a Poly-61
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.