how to achieve this detroit techno sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
schmidtc

Re: how to achieve this detroit techno sound

Post by schmidtc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:05 pm

No idea, but it's good to know other people dig robert hood and thomas leer. My 106 does the lots of hood sounds spot on, but definitely not that one.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 am

Ahh well I just looked it up.. damn I was excited. There is not a JJ OS for MPC 500.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 am

More classic Hood minimal:

With Jeff Mills:
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Infected Again

Post by Infected Again » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Wow some amazing music here!

My thoughts on these filtery sounds are chords (not sure which were common but they dont sound like standard major or minor)
Either sampled and filtered in the sampler or filtered on the original synth, then sample a few bars and further filter in the sampler.
Much like how modern drum and bass producers resample their basslines adding more movement every time

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:40 am

do i hear an arp in internal empire, or are my ears decieving me?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Bringing this one back....

So I just discovered Robert Hood in the past couple of days. I picked up 'Internal Empire' this morning. I've never been one for four on the floor dance music, but this stuff is actually rather intriguing. In fact, I'm trying to pinpoint what it is I find so fascinating (as always). I think its the sound design, the simplicity, oh, and the not-slammed-in-your-face-overcompressed-sidechained-kick-drum. Actually, I think the whole record is super mellow. I also love this line, taken from allmusic's overview - 'Robert 'Noise' Hood makes minimal Detroit techno with an emphasis on soul and experimentation over flash and popularity.'

Definitely would like to learn more about the nuts and bolts of his sound. What was his setup for this record? Some great sounds happening. Any big fans here on the VSE?