Spandau Ballet: Guess the synth!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Re: Spandau Ballet: Guess the synth!

Post by calyx93 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Promars
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Thu May 13, 2010 8:03 pm

oo

Hi. I'll go on the record with ROLAND ProMars "Compuphonic" as well . . .

btw: the video you posted lead me back to "Instinction" - which I have not seen since I was, like, 15. There is a fleeting glimpse of an OBERHEIM OB-Xa in that video. "Instinction" remains one of the strangest pop songs I have heard, with very unique synth worh throughout - high thin strings, shrill brass, and especially the weird, mid-range, octave-stacked melody of the chorus, which has a very haunting quality. Perhaps you can toss in a little synth lore about that song in a future post?

:)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Okay guys, it's time to reveal the answer now

The correct answer is Yamaha CS-10! surprise, surprise!

'braincandy' is the only one who guessed right, congratulations :thumbsup:

I suspected most of you guys would guess on the Promars since it seems to be the synth most
often associated with early Spandau Ballet. I'm not sure why though, maybe it's because they
"used" one on TOTP back in the day? I dunno.

Richard Burgess: "I didn't use any of my keyboards such as the system 100M or the JP8 etc. (the Promars was John Walter's
and the CS80 Chris Heaton's). I didn't do any computer stuff either such as the MC8/MC4 microcomposer or the Fairlight CMI.
Spandau owned a little Yamaha keyboard (and I'm leaning towards it being the CS-10), it was very cheap but I thought that it
would be good to use that because it would be very distinctively theirs and I didn't really want to stamp them with my synth
sounds as much as I wanted to create a new band sound that would be identifiable as theirs. Most of the albums I did with them
were pretty organic - guitar, bass, drums and percussion with only a touch of synth here and there and of course we used a horn
section on Chant #1 for the next album. I remember thinking it was really primitive compared to anything else I worked with but
it had a really stark and uniquely distinctive sound and that really is the sound of the main riff on 'To Cut A Long Story Short'
combined with the guitar if I remember correctly. I'm almost positive that we didn't use any major synth stuff on Journeys to Glory.
I've always been a bit bemused by the fact that Spandau got referred to as a synth band when in fact most of it was guitar, bass,
drums and vocals. I've always been into orchestration so I would mix guitar with synth or piano and synth which can create the effect
of polyphony and I probably double tracked the main riff on To Cut a Long Story Short."

He doesn't seem to be 100% certain which Yamaha model it was but in the picture below you can see their guitar/keyboard player,
Gary Kemp, with a CS-10. Further, I have seen another picture from the early eighties where he uses a CS-10 on stage so I'm pretty
sure it's the same synth as used on the album.

Gary Kemp/Spandau Ballet live on stage, circa 1980.

Comments are welcomed!

cheers,
Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

gd

Post by gd » Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 am

Wow, even after reading this I still don't hear the CS10 flavour, but then again it has been so many years since I played one. To me it still has more of a Roland sound to it but as I said in my reply I have been wrong many a time before. :lol:
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

I12

Post by I12 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:05 pm

there appears to my ears to be a polyphonic part :?:

am i wrong? somebody?

if im not what was playing that?
Dont bother its not worth it!

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri May 14, 2010 12:16 pm

I12 wrote:there appears to my ears to be a polyphonic part :?:

am i wrong? somebody?

if im not what was playing that?
It can be multitracked CS-10 ;)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri May 14, 2010 2:05 pm

From what I understand, anything that sounds polyphonic on the record was multi-tracked.

There's a lot of poly stuff going on in the final song of the album, "Toys".
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Composition86

Post by Composition86 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:11 pm

This is the official video of "To cut a long story short":
LINK
It can be seen a Promars: why would they show a Promars instead of a CS10?

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri May 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Composition86 wrote:This is the official video of "To cut a long story short":
LINK
It can be seen a Promars: why would they show a Promars instead of a CS10?
Because it was just a video and it really didn't matter what synth they used. And what a godawful video it was.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects