Rant: No more microkeyboards!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ZeeOne
Gear: Just guitars for now

Rant: No more microkeyboards!!

Post by ZeeOne » Sat May 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Why does it seem like every new polysynth in the sub-$1000 price range these days has either only 37 keys or less or a tiny interface? Whatever happened to big control panels full of knobs and sliders? Granted, I have a relatively large space for my instruments and I know not everyone has this luxury. But the Alesis Ion and Korg MS2000 were less than $1000 and they had more than 37 keys and a large interface...I know there's the Roland SH-201, but supposedly it's not very well built.

Who's with me here?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Rant: No more microkeyboards!!

Post by Alex E » Sat May 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Agreed. I'm also tired of Korg cashing in on the "Micro" franchise. It's cool to see portable instruments but I'm getting tired of all these mini keys on these new products.
soundcloud.com/vectron

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun May 16, 2010 12:06 am

I don't mind 37 (full size) keys , but there again I'm not expected to play the damn things with anything approaching competence :) My current gear is 61 keys and 32 keys.

I guess you won't be getting kaossilator pro's !
Stephen(2)

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun May 16, 2010 12:47 am

I am getting tired of people getting tired.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sun May 16, 2010 1:50 am

So is your rant about the size of keys, keyboard length, or UI?

No matter how much we gripe about stuff like that, Korg (and others) will keep doing whatever it is they're doing as long as they're selling synths. You can't dispute the success of the microKorg.

If you don't like it, buy used stuff that has what you want (that's what I do).
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 am

ZeeOne wrote:Why does it seem like every new polysynth in the sub-$1000 price range these days has either only 37 keys or less or a tiny interface? Whatever happened to big control panels full of knobs and sliders? Granted, I have a relatively large space for my instruments and I know not everyone has this luxury. But the Alesis Ion and Korg MS2000 were less than $1000 and they had more than 37 keys and a large interface...I know there's the Roland SH-201, but supposedly it's not very well built.

Who's with me here?
Reason: the personal computer killed the keyboard

Basically, not enough people will buy big keyboards anymore, so it's not cost effective to produce them. All the people who normally would have bought keyboards are now using software instead. Even Dave Smith and Access realize this (not just Korg), which is why they all have mini hardware in their lineup (Mopho, Snow). And if you use a computer, you will most likely be working on a table, which means there is not that much room for additional hardware, hence the tiny devices.

If people stop using software synths and compose on hardware instead, we will see a resurgence in hardware. But until then, things will be as they are. Which sucks.
Last edited by RD9 on Sun May 16, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun May 16, 2010 3:02 am

Alex E wrote:Agreed. I'm also tired of Korg cashing in on the "Micro" franchise. It's cool to see portable instruments but I'm getting tired of all these mini keys on these new products.
Which current products have mini keys?

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Sun May 16, 2010 3:48 am

minikeys (the microkorg/sampler/station lineup) are without a doubt terrible...
I am a real fan of the smaller 3-4 octave keyboards though. The virus indigos/polars and the new mopho keyboard are some of my favourite designs - just enough keys to get the synthing job done and knobs all over the top - no wasted space.
I'm not, keep in mind, a "keyboard" player though - I'd probably use 40 or so of the keys on a full 88 as an armrest.

ZeeOne
Gear: Just guitars for now

Post by ZeeOne » Sun May 16, 2010 4:19 am

@ cartesia: The microKorg and microKorg XL, the microSampler, and now Korg's actually releasing a workstation with mini keys-the microStation.

@ braincandy: I guess I'm complaining about all three of those. Really, the whole thing was set off by the looming prospect that I may have to sell my JP-8000 and my favorite guitar to prevent my family from getting kicked out of this place and/or have money to move to another, and realizing I couldn't easily replace either one--plus I'm becoming a bit weird about playing instruments that are out of production (odd that I'd be on a vintage synth forum, but here I am)...

At the same time, though, I've realized that I've missed playing keys onstage (I'm more of a guitarist, as one can tell from my gear list) and it can be kinda cumbersome to lug around an instrument I'm only gonna use on 2 or 3 songs...

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun May 16, 2010 5:06 am

I just want a MIDI keyboard that has decent keys and is extra slim at the back so that I can actually reach the stuff that I'd want to place behind it.

Thank you.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun May 16, 2010 5:06 am

ZeeOne wrote:Whatever happened to big control panels full of knobs and sliders?
Yes, I miss it too. It's a rare thing nowadays. But at least Radikal Technologies is trying to accelerate the empty spot. Not really a synth with big time interface, but other than the Kurzweil PC3, even these type of goodness is a rare thing now. The other I notice is Roland GAIA.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Sun May 16, 2010 6:15 am

I dont mind mini boards and in fact I think the microkorg orginal has one of the coolest feeling keys I have played on any keyboard.Speaking play action and response wise.I like using it as a mini controler too for things that hardly fit in the space I have for them.I also have small hands so playing is not a problem.Other then the microkorg I didnt care for the micron or the akai .The r3 was so/so but not as good a feeling as the microkorg was to me.I always wanted to try a micro Q board never had the pleasure though.Has anyone have one of these ? I never ever see them.The mini Q? I own another mini a yamaha dx 100 and dont care for it that much either cuz the keys feel weak.Ok Fm sounds that my tx81z will blow away.anyway I guess alot of it has to do with space for alot of people and why they make everything in small sizes in these times.look at DSI lots of small stuff as well as big.Small size equals more sales then large size in some price ranges for alot of people.I dont mind the size of my Virus B not quite mini a desktop but nice and compact.It gives me more room for the other old big boards I cant let go and will probbily add to :lol:
Living the Electro Life

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun May 16, 2010 8:56 am

Who needs all those keys on each synth anyway. I've one 88-key master keyboard which controls everything. How many keyboards does one need?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun May 16, 2010 9:23 am

Three.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun May 16, 2010 9:32 am

since gear has become so affordable, even students can afford them, but have no space for them. I've worked hard to narrow down so I can have the most synthesis power in a small room. right now, even a Micron would take up too much space, and no, I can'tchange that. so, until my education is done, I'll avoid any normal-size keyboards. And I'm already standing out from the crowd by using hardware in the first place. so, the market for bigger keyboards just isn't as big as the market for smaller. get a $50 88 key midi controller if space is no issue and you really really need normal keys...