Rant: No more microkeyboards!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Rant: No more microkeyboards!!

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon May 24, 2010 4:33 pm

balma wrote:I wonder if you can become virtuous on a microkeyboard, and if you can reach the same level of performance technicism that you could reach on a standard keyboard. No. A microkeyboard limitates your habilities to be expressive.
But if Korg puts that on a second place, and despite that, their synths with microkeyboard become succesful products, who cares if somebody does not likes them???
I am sure it's possible to become virtuousic on minikeys. If minikeys had some benefit or some improvement on full-sized keys, then it would be reasonable. It's just irritating because the change is for reasons unrelated to the making of music. It's part of the weird history of synthesizers... unlike other musical instruments, our musical instruments have an almost entirely marketing/product-based history, which has had companies giving us what we want and making synths easier for everyone's use since the start. Sadly, there are more people who know little about music who want to play synth than those who do, so the market continually tips towards electronic music equipment being designed for the non-musician. More money for synth companies with a larger demographic! Wheeeeee!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Mon May 24, 2010 7:02 pm

balma wrote: World's population has increased on the last 20 years, so we have smaller rooms and we demand smaller synths.
At first I thought, "what a load of bollocks". But then I started thinking that aren't the Microkorg and derivatives distinctively Japanese products? They just have such an obvious technology-gadget aspect to them. There being less living space also applies to Japan quite well, if not everywhere. I don't think the original unit was intended to replace a full-fledged synth setup, but instead be sort of a play-it-for-a-while-then-forget-it-for-the-most-part -type of a deal. I bet the continuing success of that unit has surprised even the manufacturers.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon May 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: Sadly, there are more people who know little about music who want to play synth than those who do, so the market continually tips towards electronic music equipment being designed for the non-musician. More money for synth companies with a larger demographic! Wheeeeee!
who invented karaoke????

Synths designed for the casual non-musician and for the professional musician can mutually coexist without stepping over your feet.

just do not take the Microkorg seriously. I think that the problem is the marketing of the microkorg, they try to present it as serious stuff. So we could put it as a good example on your marketing thread :)

So, following the evolutionary concept of, "today I have a keyboard arranger, tomorrow I will have a big modular" I hope that all the guys that are playing a microkorg today, will be playing something like an Andromeda on 2015.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon May 24, 2010 8:39 pm

balma wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: Sadly, there are more people who know little about music who want to play synth than those who do, so the market continually tips towards electronic music equipment being designed for the non-musician. More money for synth companies with a larger demographic! Wheeeeee!

Synths designed for the casual non-musician and for the professional musician can mutually coexist without stepping over your feet.

just do not take the Microkorg seriously. I think that the problem is the marketing of the microkorg, they try to present it as serious stuff. So we could put it as a good example on your marketing thread :)

So, following the evolutionary concept of, "today I have a keyboard arranger, tomorrow I will have a big modular" I hope that all the guys that are playing a microkorg today, will be playing something like an Andromeda on 2015.
I think everyone needs to start somewhere. If you don't have the money the microKorg may be the only thing you can afford. You may want an Andromeda, Moog, Virus, etc., but the pocket book just doesn't allow it. I can, though, see the irritation with the micro keys because they do seem to be more commonplace (especially when you go to GC). I think the main reason why nobody is making a lot of high end synths right now is because the demand has drastically decreased. Until people have disposable cash to burn on things like synth I think will keep seeing the massive production of these micro keyboards.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 pm

I'm guessing you guys have never seen these guys rip your playing abilities apart on minikeys.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Tue May 25, 2010 2:51 am

nvbrkr wrote:Yeah. Capitalism sucks, man.
YES, WE [VSE] 'DEMAND' A REMADE CS80/JUPITER8/OBX/_____ FOR $1000 $500 $400 $300 $150. AND A BAN ON ALL KEYBOARDS WITH MINIKEYS. AND A BAN ON THE SH-201, MICROKORG, _______.

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Tue May 25, 2010 3:34 am

portland wrote:
nvbrkr wrote:Yeah. Capitalism sucks, man.
YES, WE [VSE] 'DEMAND' A REMADE CS80/JUPITER8/OBX/_____ FOR $1000 $500 $400 $300 $150. AND A BAN ON ALL KEYBOARDS WITH MINIKEYS. AND A BAN ON THE SH-201, MICROKORG, _______.
AND VIRGINS! I DEMAND LOTS AND LOTS OF BEAUTIFUL FEMALE VIRGINS TO BE FED TO THE BEAST THAT IS PRIMAL DRIVE!

I used to have a CZ 101 back in the dawn of time and I never liked the small keys, but then, it wasn't that great of a synth either.

A reasonably good synth, OTOH, shouldn't be limited by having too few keys. That's one reason I'm a little put off by the Mopho Keyboard.
And then she said, "What the f...?"

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Tue May 25, 2010 7:34 am

It's possible to wank some scales up and down on minikeys rather effortlessly. The sound used just has to have a soft attack and you'll have to use the modulation controls a lot - that'll make up for the mistakes with timing. I've used a Microkorg to control my Voyager RME for heavily filtered sounds and after a while it worked just ok. So I'm not surprised that minikeys can be used with success for that type of arabic stuff.

Let's see those guys try to play "Eye of the Hurricane" on minikeys.

(I don't care for virgins)

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 am

nvbrkr wrote:It's possible to wank some scales up and down on minikeys rather effortlessly. The sound used just has to have a soft attack and you'll have to use the modulation controls a lot - that'll make up for the mistakes with timing. I've used a Microkorg to control my Voyager RME for heavily filtered sounds and after a while it worked just ok. So I'm not surprised that minikeys can be used with success for that type of arabic stuff.

Let's see those guys try to play "Eye of the Hurricane" on minikeys.
If you're referring to VSOP then I totally agree. In all the videos I've seen people playing mini keys I don't think anyone's even come close to being as prolific (but that's just my snob-a*s opinion).
(I don't care for virgins)
That's why I just eat them. :twisted:
And then she said, "What the f...?"

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Interesting that I actually perfer the sound of the mini CZ-101 and MicroKorg over the larger CZ series and the original MS2000. I believe Korg made a change to the newer MS2000B? And the battery powered CZ-101, 1000, 230S all use a +/- 9 volt supply to the 4558 opamp giving them a different gritty tone missing on the CZ-1, 3000, 5000.
The mini keys are playable, and you can play some large interval chords not possible with one hand on a normal size keyboard.
Here is a video I made to demonstrate on a CZ-101. Sorry about the low volume, perhaps I can make another using a MicroKorg too. Note the crazy chords at 0:33 and 2:00.

nvbrkr

Post by nvbrkr » Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 pm

You should join a heavy metal band!

RD9

Post by RD9 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Wow. Skills.

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Tue May 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Damn, that's pretty impressive, CZ. I know some people would deride that as just wank or whatever, but I'm sure it's fun as h**l to do - I'm jealous. How long you been playing?

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed May 26, 2010 9:32 am

skweeegor wrote:Damn, that's pretty impressive, CZ. I know some people would deride that as just wank or whatever, but I'm sure it's fun as h**l to do - I'm jealous. How long you been playing?
Thanks! Been playing for a while, got my first Minimoog back in 1974. But in the past 10 years I have been trying to play every day. I think it was listening to "Birds of Fire" by Mahavishnu Orchestra that got me started playing that keyboard note bending style. And I play by ear, perhaps I should take lessons?
A few years back (2001) I got my first mini key CZ-101, and it turned out to be my Holy Grail of synthesizers. Something about that sound when distorted, it screams and was the sound I have been looking for. Usually play it with an AZ-1 Casio remote with full size keys, but thought it was an interesting experement to see what could be done on those mini keys.
But it is fun to just freestyle like that, especially after a rough day. Here is a better sounding live clip with the CZ-101 playing over top of a drone with some Simmons percussion and a bass sequence from a Moog modular. The Moog and Casio sound good together. Long live mini key synths!

I'll have to break out that MicroKorg and see if I can dual between the CZ-101 and Korg.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:16 pm

OT: sorry, AG, but the beer was gone long befre reading the response!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!