Getting TB303 sound out of DSI Evolver Desktop

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Getting TB303 sound out of DSI Evolver Desktop

Post by blavatsky » Thu May 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Ok I know this topic might irritate some purists, and I know they are very different setups DCO vs VCO etc etc.

I'd like a nice acid-y patch setup recommendation for the DSI mono evolver. Square vs Saw, filter setting, envelopes, etc. I've programmed some ok stuff on the DSI but since it's my only real analog I'm looking to it now for some nasty squelchy TB303 nonsense ... something in the vein of mid 90s Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, etc.

The evolver is cool but 70% of the patches on it (user or other) tend to be dissonant digital madness, which is great but sometimes I just want something more normal (wrong synth right? ;) ) I know i'll probably not be using the wavetable oscs. My attempts are ok but end up being too digital, too bland, not aggressive enough on filter resonance, etc.
My VAs (xstation, blofeld, RS7000*) are not cutting it for me.
Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

*yes I know technically its an old rompler but has basic saw/square/pulse voices you can filter/LFO, etc....not as bad as you think.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Getting TB303 sound out of DSI Evolver Desktop

Post by Solderman » Thu May 20, 2010 10:08 pm

The 303 square waveform is right out, for starters, because it is the sawtooth waveform run through a comparator and pull-up circuit, ie. it's a hybrid of both. The other fundamental problem you'll have is that the 303 filter never self-oscillates. I recall the 2 pole filter in the Evolver being pretty weak, and the 4 pole will not sound as bright, although you can get some decent squelch from it before it reaches self-oscillation. That's not even getting into the effects of accent on the resonance and VCA, the tremendous difficulty it would take to use portamento or Midi pitch-bends to simulate how a 303 slides, and all the little nuances about the 303's that make them unique, even among each other.
I would suggest saving up and get an x0xb0x from an ebay seller, if the 303 acid sound is the sound you're after.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri May 21, 2010 12:11 am

without having ever played an evolver (But built and played a x0xb0x before selling it out of boredom of the one sound wonder), I'd say a basic recipe is:
- 1 oscillator saw wave
- no LFO
- one ADSR envelope, no attack, no release, low sustain to taste, tweak delay.
- ADSR modulate cutoff and amplitude, usually pretty high cutoff modulation for the classic 303 sound.
- glide to taste, if you can put the synth into "legato" glide mode you could fake some of the glides the TB-303 is known for.

tadaaa

Dano

Post by Dano » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 pm

I've never had a 303 so take this with a huge grain of salt but there are some pretty squelchy/acidy sounding patches (to my ear but maybe not to a person's that has a TB303) on the A-Station/K-Station so don't give up on your X-Station (The A-Station manual even mentions using the resonance normalize function and the filter distortion function to mimic many different filter responses [including the TB303's] with minimal controls.) As always though, "Your mileage may vary."

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX

Post by blavatsky » Fri May 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks guys - I will punch in a patch on the evolver as suggested and try out the filt. distortion/res on the x-station again. I'm not enough of a purist/acid-head to need a xoxobox/tb-clone but I do like the tone on certain tracks.

The x-station is sort of weird, at first I though it was very thin, digital and cold but as mentioned the filter distortion/onboard effects/unison/eq can make it sound more full. Some user patches I've tried are definitely going for the 303 flavor, may just need some extra tweaking.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sat May 22, 2010 12:42 am

Maybe revisit the RS7000 too? I find I can get some decent squelch out of it, though nothing particularly authentic of course. Also the grid groove function is nice for emulating 303 sequencing, Put in some notes in grid record mode (you can even do note values in grid groove if you wish), give your sound fingered portamento without about 30 portamento time. Then in grid groove select all steps with slides and increase gate offset until the step slides. Select the accented steps and increase velocity.

An attempt with the RS :oops:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/76368084b0c779d4/
Please excuse very random tweaking and mistakes...

I've yet to find a suitable square wave sound though :|

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 22, 2010 1:36 am

It's pretty easy to get acidy sounds out of the Evolver, I had no problems after I sold my first x0xb0x. I don't have the patch in front of me, but it was something along the lines of a single sawtooth, pan set to mono, resonance about 50-60, filter envelope 100, filter and amp setting both around A:10, D:70, S:0, R:60.

From there play around to get it closer to what you want, you might like the sound of having a shorter attack and longer decay and release on the amp envelope so you can hear what the filter envelope is doing better. You might want to use a mod slot to modulate the resonance with the filter envelope a little bit, say 10 or so, see how you like the sound.

Oh, and the filter should be on 4 pole, 2 pole on an Evolver won't do what you want at all.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Tue May 25, 2010 9:45 pm

More good suggestions, appreciated...I've been in a musical void recently but I can't wait to try a couple of these. I agree on the RS7000 grid groove thing, and it has a surprisingly good LPF for digital. I'll try to post an example of evolver/x-station/RS7000 versions once I get them dialed in.