Possible synth find...Wish me luck.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JJQ

Re: Possible synth find...Wish me luck.

Post by JJQ » Fri May 21, 2010 2:46 pm

StepLogik wrote:
JJQ wrote:Perhaps the church is runned by money wich they ripp of good-hearted people.

There are some of those. Then you do a good deed if you ripp them of. Like Robin Hood, and give the Memorymoog to me...
(this thread is derailing quick...)

i don't disagree with you but i think your post is a bit of an oversimplification. a church, as an individual entity, generally does a lot of good for the local community. by "stealing", you are taking away from those good deeds.

however, religious organizations as a whole are generally corrosive to a civilized and enlightened society. so, i would not deceive an individual church by taking the synths below market value, but i would definitely rip off, say, the administrative offices of the catholic church. i don't think there is any debate that the catholic church is an evil, corrupt organization at the macro level.

there are obviously some major execptions. some (many?) of the "mega-churches" in the southern united states are pretty wicked in that they take in LOTS of money from the congregation (sheep?) in order to line the pockets of the clergy.
Yes I know. I wasnt totaly seriuos. My big-brothers working as head of marketing at a big evangelican-style church in sweden, so thats why I reacted as I did. I didnt want make a cheap excuse for stealing. :) But it could be.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 21, 2010 2:56 pm

In the end the value of the synth is pretty much nothing to the church.

You guys don't really see the big picture, when an organisation or company buys something they're thinking of the use they can get from it, not the resale value. As soon as it's not being used it has no value, so the resale cost is if no importance.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri May 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, I think "one man's junk is another man's treasure" still holds true here. We only care because they're synths and know they are worth something-but if it was a 100 year old dusty quilt that we cared nothing for, but was worth a fortune elsewhere, would we be saying anything? We have no problem finding bargains on CL or ebay, so why are we any more obligated to offer fair value for something to a church rather than an individual?
Do you even post on vse bro?

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Fri May 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Members of a congregation quite often donate organs and other instruments to a church which often end up sitting in a storage room for years if there is no use for the item. The church has no monetary investment and In many cases is happy to get rid of these unused instruments for a nominal donation.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri May 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, I buy things from sellers at whatever price the seller puts on it. People died in wars for me to have that freedom.

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Fri May 21, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree. I've bought from churches and got what I consider to be a bargain. Even talked 'em down from an already low price, and felt no remorse.

I have however, on occasion, told a seller their asking price was way too low, when I felt the situation called for it. Single mom in dire need, or elderly person scraping by and having no idea, etc. If it feels wrong, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, ya know?
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm

stillearning wrote:I agree. I've bought from churches and got what I consider to be a bargain. Even talked 'em down from an already low price, and felt no remorse.

I have however, on occasion, told a seller their asking price was way too low, when I felt the situation called for it. Single mom in dire need, or elderly person scraping by and having no idea, etc. If it feels wrong, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, ya know?
I like you moral, you're a good person.

btw Im more than halfway thruogh my friday bottle(my wife skipped her half). of wine.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Nismology

Post by Nismology » Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 pm

It would surprise me if they were proper analogue synthesizers. Think about it, what place would a jupiter 8 or a minimoog have in in a church service, they are more likely to be early 90's romplers. Unless the pastor is a closet synthesist or the church is of the particularly hip pentecostal variety

[bbvideo]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/bbvideo]

No disrespect intended

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Fri May 21, 2010 6:57 pm

When are we going to find out? The suspense is killing me... :shock: :D
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri May 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri May 21, 2010 7:37 pm

I thought I might find out today but I have to wait until Monday. This is one of those Southern Style Mega Churches and I have absolutely no qualms about "ripping them off" if that simply means they offer something for free or cheap and I accept.

I would never break into their storage closet and steal the synths but if the pastor doesn't realize the value of something he has and squanders it on me then I have no problem with it.

Iam one of those guys who has given sellers more than they were asking on occasion. I treat individuals and organizations the way I believe they deserve to be treated based on their actions and demeanor. I will usually try to give the the benefit of the doubt but there is no doubt here.

Having said that, they probably are crappy ROMplers but you never know. I have seen real analog synths played in churchs, especially the "cool" ones with youth programs.

Churches do some good but their net impact on the world and society is negative in my opinion. For instance, why doesn't the Catholic Church sell some of their antiquities and priceless artifacts and give that money to the poor? Not all of their stuff needs to be sold but they could certainly part with a few things and cure hunger for a few third-world nations (or at least compensate all those abused kids and pay for some therapy....).

I can give several examples of churches in our area that have screwed people, paid them slave wages, used them up and spat them out.

A guy I know worked for a church for several years for around $17K a year. No benefits. No paid time off, nothing. When his wife went into the hospital they almost went bankrupt. He could have, and should have, gotten a better job but he thought he was "doing God's work" so he stuck around.

Another guy was a youth minister at a methodist church and he later went on to tour with a top Chirtsian group. They were on the Billboard Christian charts and everything. The pay was lousy and the working conditions were excruciating for him (as excruciating as being in a band can be anyway...) Right before he went on tour with the band the church fired him and brought in someone without a degree for mush lower pay.

Another guy I know spent weeks composing, sequencing, playing, recording, mising, and mastering a CD of the church's worship band. Not only is his name not on the CD, He got no money and he wasn't even invited to the CD release party even though more than half the sounds on the disc are his. This guy is literally a musical genuis with perfect pitch and he can play anything after hearing it one time. He can listen to any composition and tell you which chords are being played and he can analize a synth sound, telling you what kind of waves are being used, the filter and envelope settings etc. His talents were totally underappreciated by his employer.

Another dude i jam with played for a mega church and they relegated him to a satelie location because he was in his 40's. Apparenlty God only wants skinny, good-looking people at the main campus so the donations will flow in.

I played the Franklin Graham Revival many years ago and when the check came it was mysteriously less than the amount that was promised. I was not hallucinating either because the other bans members remembered the same promised figure. I should have gotten the deal in writing but it was for the above-mentioned Youth Minister who I have played with since 1993. He got screwed, too. All in all it was a fun gig. I played for several thousand screaming people in a colloseum, had roadies, hotel rooms with room service plus snacks and a gift basket in the dressing room. I even got to meet Willie Aames when he was in the Bible Man phase of his nose-diving career but all I really wanted was to have gotten paid the amount that they promised me.

It is almost a moral imperitvie to liberate these synths and give the church as little for them as possible. If I could, I would charge the pastor to haul them off

If that makes me a sinner, a heathern, or just a garden-variety a-hole then I am OK with that.

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Fri May 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Im totaly with you Cumulus.

Go get that Memorymoog, thats what my imagine says that it is.

SleepingInsomniac

Post by SleepingInsomniac » Fri May 21, 2010 7:56 pm

theres quite a few churches around my area, i think im gunna check see if they have unwanted keyboards/synths in there store room. hope so, waste of a walk other wise. haha
i wish you and your friend good luck on monday culumus.
SH 101 MC 505 D 110 MS 2000BR EA 1 ER 1 ORBIT 9090 V2 NORD LEAD 3 S1000 BASS STATION PRODIGY

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm

remember, if god exists then he is watching and probably angry

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Fri May 21, 2010 9:05 pm

StepLogik wrote:remember, if god exists then he is watching and probably angry
If god exists, and he's watching, then I'd wager he's pretty pissed about religion in general. I know I would be.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.