Would you buy a PPG Wave if you had the opportunity for it?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Diametro

Re: Would you buy a PPG Wave if you had the opportunity for

Post by Diametro » Mon May 24, 2010 10:42 pm

I had a chance to play around with Waldorf Wave and PPG ... Both left me cold and very un-Gassy ... Perhaps over time their charms become more apparent ...
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Tue May 25, 2010 2:21 am

i would rather have a waldorf microwave 1 because of the stability and cost in comparison to the old ppg wave 2 - however the main reason i want a waldorf microwave 1 is to make sounds LIKE the ppg wave 2

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 pm

I remember when the VSTi came out and it was touted as being 100% similar to the hardware units. I even upgraded my PC so that I could run it - only to find myself seriously underwhelmed by the experience. So this legendary synth I had been reading about for ages could only pull off these weird "bleep" and "zwonk" -type of sounds? However, I realize now what the plug-in was lacking - alongside the trademark aliasing - were the filters. Judged by some of the more recent clips the PPG sounds like what you'd expect it to sound based on its design: a crude digital sound source pushed through the equivalent of the filter sections of analog polysynths of that time.

Yet, if you were to get one it could entirely change the sound of your own music. Back then when I was using the plug-in I really couldn't use it in the stuff that I was making back then. Now I could imagine some use for it. When used for chords / pads, the PPG really seems to dominate the entire mix. I've been also thinking about doing the filter-in mod for my EX-800 and playing the newer freeware version through it for some sort of "paraphonic PPG lite", let's just see.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Thu May 27, 2010 3:11 pm

I like the PPG sounds I heard in a lot of Tangerine Dream tracks, but I'm really happy with my Microwave 1 Rev.A. Imho it just cover that sounds far better than the "previous" Microwave2 I had for two years. The Microwave 1 is more limited but it has a great warm growling "digital" analog sound... very strange, wonderful synth. I simply add a bit of delay or reverb in Ableton and well... great synth.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Thu May 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Mine is a Rev A also. Just a bit of luck because at the time I bought it I didn't know there were 2 versions of the MW 1

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Fri May 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Having been a warranty tech for the PPG importer in this country through the 80's, and getting to use them a lot, and also using and servicing the Wave, (and I still have a Microwave 1 which I love), I would take a 2.3 and a Waveterm in preference to a Wave. The 2.3 is a very glassy sounding machine with lots of squeaky digital artifacts, but once you spend time playing one for real I would bet that most people would want one, they are very unique sounding.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 28, 2010 2:22 pm

I do quite like the sound of wavetable oscs through analogue filters, but the Evolver and some things in my modular cover it fine without the need to spend a fortune on a PPG that I'd be worried about the reliability of.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:07 pm

i have and i did. :) so, the answer is: yes. and a waldorf wave. and a microwave xt. and a fizmo. if i couldnt find or afford those, id get a wavetable softsynth until i had an opportunity to get the real deal.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Post by drsynth » Mon May 31, 2010 11:03 pm

If this...

is your goal then the PPG wave is the only synth to choose.

There is something 'caustic' and analog about the early digital wavetable scanning synths. Different from wavetable playbacks like the FIZMO, etc.. Probably the filters more than anything and that is where the Microwave I is the best bet. No wonder they demand a big price compared to later versions.

Personally, I'd love to have a PPG wave 2.3. I never have the money at the right time. Worth every penny.
-I was a teenage synthaholic-