digital H/W MIDI sequencer to record LIVE

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xh9o

digital H/W MIDI sequencer to record LIVE

Post by xh9o » Sun May 23, 2010 5:18 am

Hi

sounds too simple, the edge is that the sequencers I know always force a stop of recording before you could play what you recorded. Some even count down before they record... every time the loop starts. It would be perfect to just toggle on/off the record mode while the pattern just runs in a loop.

And no, I don´t want an tr or electribe. Pure midi please.

Thanks for your help.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: digital H/W MIDI sequencer to record LIVE

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun May 23, 2010 5:44 am

Sounds like you want an MPC.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun May 23, 2010 3:50 pm

MPC2000XL will do exactly what you want, and it can drive several MIDI devices.

The version without the sampler - the ASQ-10 - will cost you just as much, and it's harder to find.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun May 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Not sure what "pure MIDI" means, but E-mu Command Stations will let you switch in and out of record mode while a sequence is still playing, and they're cheap.

Also, there's a Buyer's Guide section of the forum for stuff like this.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Mon May 24, 2010 8:14 am

Shouldn't a Yamaha RS7000 allow you to dub this as well?

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon May 24, 2010 9:26 am

Yeah, the RS7000 will with OS updated to 2.11 or whatever the latest one was, earlier versions didn't have that ability, however, admittedly I think the MPC line would probably be better at doing that sort of thing along with non-stop type sample looping which the RS has to be stopped first before for recording samples in to it. I still love the RS tho more than any other machine.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

RD9

Post by RD9 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:38 am

Sequentix P3 (or wait for the Cirklon, which is what I'm doing). Although the EMX-1 does queue-less loop + overdub very well. It loops automatically and you can hear and overwrite what you just did immediately (the record button acts like a toggle in play mode). The interface is the easiest to use I think. Nice big, clear play/pause, record, and step buttons that have visual feedback integrated. The overall design is not as cool as the RS7000, since it has too many colors and whatnot, but it works very well.

It's kind of a shame that Korg doesn't release a small, dedicated sequencer without a synth or sampler since the sequencer of the EMX is so well-engineered. They probably think that they can sell more of them if they include as much c**p on it as possible. Too bad.

The EMX however, also has to be stopped to adjust the pattern length. But it has a much better interface for real-time recording than the MPC I think because of the traditional 16-step interface. The EMX also has 8 pattern indicators directly above (16 x 8) the 16 steps, so you know exactly where you are in the loop just by a quick glance. Super intuitive.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon May 24, 2010 11:54 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Not sure what "pure MIDI" means, but E-mu Command Stations will let you switch in and out of record mode while a sequence is still playing, and they're cheap.
Yes, E-MU PX-7 / XL-7 / MP-7 can do a lot without stopping the sequencer.

There's a PX-7 in the items for sale section of this forum if you are in the UK. ;)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon May 24, 2010 4:01 pm

All the Electribe models can record while playing. You can even go forward or backwards on recording mode and input notes on any of the measures of a pattern while playing.

All the EMU command station models can also record, save, erase, enter/exit any edition menu without stopping the sequencer.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma