Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soundwave

Re: Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Post by Soundwave » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 pm

/\ so I'm guessing you've just shelled out $800 on something you've tried for 20mins without even reading through it's manual?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Soundwave wrote:why can't I find any vids with complete tracks done with this yet or even a complete demo track?
Because it hasn't shipped yet so nobody has one? :? Either that or it's a big conspiracy and this isn't a musical instrument at all, it's some kind of fancy paperweight that people are getting sucked into buying and you're the only one who can see the truth. Yeah, that's it.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:17 pm

you'd think any full song demo would be done on a pre production model for the trade shows surely???

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:52 pm

That didn't really happen with the octatrack at messe, so why? This ain't for the workstation crowd, wanna watch those demos, check the Kronos.

And no, i ain't getting an op1 yet. I have too much stuff as is, so it will wait some time before i buy anything.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Soundwave wrote:/\ so I'm guessing you've just shelled out $800 on something you've tried for 20mins without even reading through it's manual?

Why would you even care what somebody else is spending their money on? Is it something they require in the troll handbook these days?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:41 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
Soundwave wrote:/\ so I'm guessing you've just shelled out $800 on something you've tried for 20mins without even reading through it's manual?

Why would you even care what somebody else is spending their money on? Is it something they require in the troll handbook these days?
well it would explain why he likes the OP-1 after 20mins more than the Monomachine which he owns?

and I just want someone to point out why this is so good to be worth $800?! :?

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Soundwave wrote:I just want someone to point out why this is so good to be worth $800?! :?
Do you want someone to convince you that it's worth $800 of his dollars, or $800 of your dollars?
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:10 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
Soundwave wrote:I just want someone to point out why this is so good to be worth $800?! :?
Do you want someone to convince you that it's worth $800 of his dollars, or $800 of your dollars?
I want someone to explain the features that make worth $800 relative to anything else that costs less or more.

:banghead:

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Soundwave wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:
I want someone to explain the features that make worth $800 relative to anything else that costs less or more.
At which point you'll do what exactly, concede defeat and buy one?

The thing you're asking people to would require that there were some kind of established objective list of synth features and their values. Obviously this will never exist. Either you're interested in the features that the OP-1 offers, or you're not (you, clearly, are not; as it happens I'm not particularly interested in it either, I just have a morbid attraction to bizarre threads full of quasi-logic). Either you think the price is reasonable, based on features offered, or you don't (you, evidently, do not).

Asking people who are interested and do think the price is fair to try and win you over makes about as much sense as me storming into a restaurant and demanding to know why people are paying $50 for lobster dinners when I don't like seafood.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:36 pm

so no one who's praises this machine can give me a technical reason why?

please show me some lobsters......

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:19 pm

I have given you a couple, but you are just an ignorant dimwit.

I said 1 interface 2 brilliant string synthesis 3 out of grid sequencing.

You've just been acting more and more stupid with every post!

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 pm

Soundwave wrote:so no one who's praises this machine can give me a technical reason why?
I guess none of the members of the "no-real-talent iPad crowd" give a s**t about giving you anything.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:00 pm

prinsen wrote:
Soundwave wrote:so no one who's praises this machine can give me a technical reason why?
I guess none of the members of the "no-real-talent iPad crowd" give a s**t about giving you anything.
or maybe they are really none the more wiser about this thing than I am yet seem to get excited just because it's the exclusive gadget of the week?

my argument is it's simply not worth $800 next to other stuff you can get in the same price bracket and it appears no one can give any unique technical virtues or descriptive work flow details to justify the inflated price.

none grid sequencing and string synthesis have been about for a while now

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm

I was not interested at all, but then I saw that video where they sample the FM tuner and twist it the f**k up, and I was f**k sold.

That is definitely on my purchase list for this year...

which includes:

3rd machinedrum (fickle)
octatrack
Shruthi-1
Nord G2

and more euro modules...

I will have NO money this year

edit: scratched the kawai and SY...
Last edited by Joey on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Mush wrote:I have given you a couple, but you are just an ignorant dimwit.

I said 1 interface 2 brilliant string synthesis 3 out of grid sequencing.

You've just been acting more and more stupid with every post!
Mr Rasmus could you invest a couple of hours of your precious time on this matter please?, you know.... get online, search specs of all the synths listed on the range of $700-900, estimating how reliable the OP-1 results in comparison with other similar gear, then, elaborate a careful explanation (sound references and probing videos are a must) and please provide them to Mr Soundwave, in order to convince him that the OP-1's specs and creative concepts worth $800.

We must convince him, for the sake of good music!
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma