Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Post by nuketifromorbit » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Cumulus wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
cartesia wrote:in other words useless with other equipment unless you're lugging a computer around with it
Or you actually play it. :D
+1. I was going to post the same thing, right down to the smiley at the end....

It is certainly very possible to use a piece of gear that does not have MIDI. I do it all the time and it's very satisfying.
Look at the keys on this thing though. It would be like playing a calculator.

*edit
I'm not trying to b***h about another unreleased synth here, I just don't think playing it live in a tradition manner would be feasible.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:18 pm

I hope them success. Too bad it's so expensive, it's a neat thing. I don't want to say toy because it's definitely not priced as a toy.

I feel like maybe they missed their chance with this thing. Today at $800 you could have an ipad and all the groovebox apps under the sun, or an ipod touch with apps AND a laptop. Maybe a few years ago it'd have been revolutionary but now the market for portable powerful music creation is pretty full. I guess it'll appeal to the same market as the tenori-on?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote: Look at the keys on this thing though. It would be like playing a calculator.
You mean like a VL 1? :D
th0mas wrote:I guess it'll appeal to the same market as the tenori-on?
Little Boots? Image

Seriously though, this is more portable than an iPad or Laptop/Netbook. I could see it's use, but the price is too high for that niche imo. Maybe if it were $400.
bonne chance

Fresh Pine scent

Post by Fresh Pine scent » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 pm

You know how much cool used gear you could buy for 800 dollars? Oh well, I hope they make them solid and sturdy, I'd hate for someone to pay that much for something that seems impossible to repair. I'll stick with my Kaossilator for making little bleepy noises, it was less than 100 bucks.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:39 pm

I am not a fan of the keys either but it looks like a really neat little piece of kit.

Like anything else it will have its uses.

LIke most synths, I will wait until I find a used one for $150.00.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:42 pm

Cumulus wrote:I am not a fan of the keys either but it looks like a really neat little piece of kit.

Good luck finding a new one even. These guys have been slow to put this out, and even still they seem really unsure.
bonne chance

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:46 pm

Cumulus wrote:LIke most synths, I will wait until I find a used one for $150.00.
How are you getting on with that Synton Fenix?

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:56 am

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Cumulus wrote:I am not a fan of the keys either but it looks like a really neat little piece of kit.

Good luck finding a new one even. These guys have been slow to put this out, and even still they seem really unsure.
I was thinking the same thing actually. This thing has been on its way for quite a while now.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 am

Pricing this toy to 800$->800€ (thanks on milking EU) is out of the world.

I said toy because they designed it like a toy. Show this thing to people and ask them what is it. They'll answer "A musical toy" then ask how much does it costs, they'll answer "80/100$ ?".

If they want to sell ONE of this at 800$ they need to package it in a PRO looking way, a desktop, rack, whatever doesn't look like a CASIOTONE.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Wow, the designers should have asked you guys for advice before they designed and built the thing. :roll:

It's funny, to me it looks like a minature Monomachine but with less limitations, at least some kind of keyboard so you can program it standalone, and designed to be truly portable. :idea: When you look at it that way it's a bargain.

I'm also surprised that there are people suggesting it has toy-like build quality. If you'd seen any of the designers' other things you'd realise this isn't the case at all. In fact one of the reasons it's taking so long to come to market (apart from the fact that the team working on it is very small) is that they're making sure the build quality is up to apple-like standards.

Anyway, once you get your hands on one then feel free to tell us exactly what you think of it, until then the prudent thing to do would be not to make assumptions. Honestly, you're all acting so conservatively that I'm surprised you're OK with electric guitars, let alone synths.

I thought synths were supposed to be about the sound of the future? Why is everyone so fearful of a different form-factor to what you're used to?

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: It's funny, to me it looks like a minature Monomachine but with less limitations, at least some kind of keyboard so you can program it standalone
Hmmm. That's how the 16 buttons on my monomachine works. I actually always realtime-record my playing of the buttons on the mnm. Never have the patience to steptime-record...

I do however feel that 800 is a decent price for the OP1. And the quality of the prototype I've played with was marvellous. But I don't feel like I need one as much as I would if I was on tour...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
I thought synths were supposed to be about the sound of the future? Why is everyone so fearful of a different form-factor to what you're used to?
Nobody here wants anything new. h**l, 80% of our threads are about how to sound like (insert washed up 80s has beens here) or how to make (insert entirely over used and uninteresting sound here) and how (insert overhyped old a*s synth here) is the best synth in existence. Never mind why synths and electronic music actually came about.

I think people would rather b***h about something than actually make music with the gear they have.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:31 pm

I think its fresh for sure... is anyone else reading what this thing can do?

Cool synth arch, dynamic realtime sampler, (the radio idea is cool... pure random sounds/samples coming in from the air!) ...etc...

I've done 'start from nothing' machine only synth jam performaces (with other synth/machine guys) and for that, this thing looks like a jem. Looks like these guys have put a lot of effort into a machine built for exactly that kind of fun...

I'm not about to put down my current setup in favor of this machine, but the op1 definatly looks like a contender in the performace groovebox world. (As long as you don't want it to sequence an external synth...)

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Wow, the designers should have asked you guys for advice before they designed and built the thing. :roll:

I'm also surprised that there are people suggesting it has toy-like build quality. If you'd seen any of the designers' other things you'd realise this isn't the case at all. In fact one of the reasons it's taking so long to come to market (apart from the fact that the team working on it is very small) is that they're making sure the build quality is up to apple-like standards.

Anyway, once you get your hands on one then feel free to tell us exactly what you think of it, until then the prudent thing to do would be not to make assumptions. Honestly, you're all acting so conservatively that I'm surprised you're OK with electric guitars, let alone synths.
IMHO:
First of all, designers works better if they have some marketing research and stategies guide. If they have one I would like to know the man who think that a lot of ppl will spend 800 $ on this. This is aTenory-On alike story. Awesome build quality for an expensive musical toy (yes I played one).
Second I said that it really seems a toy not that the quality is toy alike.
Third... perhaps I live in a awful place but I NEVER seen anybody under a tree playing with a minikeyboard. All these things about having something to use at the toilet or when you are out of the studio are only excuses for yourself to buy another gadget. If you want something to carry with you buy something that fit in your pocket like an Iphone, or a nintendo DS with a korg ds10 cartridge...

I really hope I'm wrong. These guys are awesome designers (take a look at the other project). Let's see what happens.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:23 pm

I've been really intrigued with all the youtube videos I've seen of the OP-1 and, honestly, surprised it came in under $1000. Looks fun.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS