Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 pm

mao wrote:I really hope I'm wrong. These guys are awesome designers (take a look at the other project). Let's see what happens.
Really? You hope you're wrong and you think the best way to help them out is to complain about it online and call it a toy and complain about the price? That's a weird state of affairs.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm

I think part of the appeal of the design is its 'toy like' styling (its design has the presence of a gadget, and people love wasting money on gadgets), plus the build is hardly toy like, from what Ive seen/read it involves processed and finely machined materials rather than ABS like most other related synth products. I thought it would cost a lot more to be honest.

I think one thing people never seem to mention is the sound, I received an email from Teenage Engineering stating that the beta process is going to begin, and that if selected, you have the option of buying a machine to beta test.

Now, while I would consider getting one, I don't think they're are enough examples of the synth and sequencer aspects for me to buy one blindly. The samples Ive heard up to now have been below par to be honest, and havent been to the same standard of the design. Hopefully that will change, as I think it could be a good product for experimenting with.

But at the moment a lot of the sounds Ive heard have been lacking, so hopefully we'll get some newer demos, and a better idea of what to expect.
tallowwaters wrote:I think people would rather b***h about something than actually make music with the gear they have.
That's all that ever seems to happen nowadays...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
mao wrote:I really hope I'm wrong. These guys are awesome designers (take a look at the other project). Let's see what happens.
Really? You hope you're wrong and you think the best way to help them out is to complain about it online and call it a toy and complain about the price? That's a weird state of affairs.
I'm not here to throw sh@t over any project ! I always thought OP-1 is a good project. Perhaps my English is far from BBC but "is a toy" and "looks like a toy" seems different to me. I followed the project from the real beginning because I like design in general and they're really good on designing things.

I can't understand why you jumped on me on this... every time a new product comes up it's normal to speak about all the aspects, from technical to pricing. Everybody says what they think... this is a forum. Do you think it's better If all the forumer starts speaking how much beautiful the OP1 is to pump the hype on this ?

And I said that I hope I'm wrong because they put a lot of work on it and believe me or not I really HOPE there will be thousand of people liking to spend what they ask for the OP1.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:42 pm

mao wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
I can't understand why you jumped on me on this... every time a new product comes up it's normal to speak about all the aspects, from technical to pricing. Everybody says what they think... this is a forum. Do you think it's better If all the forumer starts speaking how much beautiful the OP1 is to pump the hype on this ?
Don't mind ol' Stabby. He's just one of the local curmudgeons around here ;)

What I don't understand though is why they would design it with a simple mini-jack I/O. Lack of MIDI, I can understand; but if there's anything about the OP-1 that is remotely toy-like, it is most definitely that.

Maybe someone around here will be brave enough to take the plunge and beta-test it, and let us know how it sounds...
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:05 pm

I'm not trying to b***h about anything I haven't yet tried either, in fact I was even interested myself. I was surprised the price wasn't more, but it's still more than I can personally justify spending for it. I like taking the VL 1 around, I honestly see this kind of like a modern version. Some may consider the VL 1 a toy, but I don't. Hopefully the casing is a good quality plastic or aluminum though. It looks nice.
bonne chance

Stalfosia
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: :)

Post by Stalfosia » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:12 pm

I think the OP-1 looks & sounds great. Sure it's toy like, in design... but to me, that's the charm. It seems like a world of endless possibilities - sound wise.

Been listening to the samples of their "experiments" album:
http://itunes.apple.com/en/album/op-1-e ... d338873185

The price does seem a little much, but I have a feeling it's gonna be quality build.
I really want one.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:38 pm

I for one can't wait to buy one. I've been following this project for months now. I think it's a great concept with some really interesting features. Future classic for sure. Built in FM radio... love it.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:26 pm

This thing is weird weird weird. For my purposes, is not useful since it does not have MIDI, and I need synchronization between sequencers in order to play in the way I learned to play, but that does not mean is a useless instrument. It can be a great instrument for other kind of musicians.

the design is sober, I don't even see bolts on it, and it looks fun to play.

I wonder what leaded them to take the decision to exclude Midi for the OP. Despite its lack of MIDI, a lot of curious producers will get it.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Says on their website: "Using the USB-port the OP-1 will act as the sleekest midi controller available." Only time will tell what the real deal is though.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:44 pm

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm actually quite surprised that between the first announcement of the OP 1 and now they didn't change their name to "Adult Engineering". :lol:
bonne chance

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Actually they got my a*s with those sounds.

sounds INCREDIBLE!
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:27 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:I'm actually quite surprised that between the first announcement of the OP 1 and now they didn't change their name to "Adult Engineering". :lol:
indeed.

anyway who wants to buy gear engineered by a teenager?

not me. not by any teenagers i know anyway. :mrgreen:
Analogue Systems RS8500 | Andromeda A6 | Moog Voyager Old School | Korg Radias KB | MEK | DSI Tetr4 | Tom Oberheim SEM | Waldorf Blofeld module | Virus C | A Sol Leipzig-S | XV-5080 | V-Synth XT | Mopho KB

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:08 am

mao wrote:I can't understand why you jumped on me on this.
My original comments weren't directed at you in particular, they were at everyone who'd posted in the thread so far, most of whom were much worse than you. You were just unfortunately the last person who posted before me. :)

It's fine for people to discuss things, this is a forum after all, but when you've been here for years and every time something new comes out all we hear are complaints about it, it becomes a bit tiresome. Especially when the initial complaints are the only discussion we ever see about an instrument, like was the case with the Microkorg XL and others.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:18 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: It's fine for people to discuss things, this is a forum after all, but when you've been here for years and every time something new comes out all we hear are complaints about it, it becomes a bit tiresome. Especially when the initial complaints are the only discussion we ever see about an instrument, like was the case with the Microkorg XL and others.
I understand. It's true. It's easy to complain about something. When a new product is announced all of us have hopes in something. Who wants midi, who want usb, who likes minikeys other hates minikeys and so on. But sometimes there are product that makes you jump on the chair. Just think about the korg monotron... all the complain are destroyed by the fact it cost nothing and sound amazing so your only complain is: why the h**l korg doesn't make a new small analog like the monotron with 2 vco, adsr, lfo, midi/usb staying under 300€? korg monotron price claim it's possible to do that. In the OP1 case a lot of people is following the project. Design is really good (well I don't like the "calculator-alike" keyboard) the software seems really powerful... but I admit I never thought this thing will cost more than 300€. Some friends of mine think the same. One of them is an "early adopter" full of weird boxes and he said " Iwant it !!!"... well after seeing the price he said "ehm... let's wait a bit". Another thing which makes me think is the € vs $ affair. 800$ is 594 euro... so why euro people must spend 200€ (270$) more to buy the same thing ??? This thing will drive EU people to buy the OP1 in $ somewhere in the US and trying to avoid VAT. The same thing happened with NI software before they started to adjust the €/$ ratio after a lot of complains from EU people.