Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 am

You make a good point about the price difference. I don't think that's really the case, that seems like much too big of a difference, but considering it'll be sold exclusively through them at first, they might get people to just take it and pay that much anyway. Either that or they'll have a friend from the states receive it.
Seems like billing would be hard to know the difference because how would they tell? When you enter your credit card it can tell by a billing address, but you could just get a Click and Pay or PayPal account and pay with whatever currency you'd like.
Taking this into consideration, it may very well end up being 799€ and $1086USD, or 594€ and $799USD. It just seems too disunited with such a huge pricing difference. It seems like poor business practice to actively seek more money on the basis of where you live, though I don't think that's the case here and it'll eventually be righted.
bonne chance

haj

Post by haj » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 am

EU price includes VAT. The casing is made of aluminum (if my memory serves) and look at the display, it's not the parts of a casiotone. Its just by the looking makes some people think it's an expensive casiotone. I suppose knobs and swtiches would feel great by using expensive components. Lastly it's developed in a country where labor costs are high, and by a small company. I think the price is well reasonable. Having said that, the price is still high for me to justify but I want one so much.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:08 am

haj wrote:EU price includes VAT. The casing is made of aluminum (if my memory serves) and look at the display, it's not the parts of a casiotone. Its just by the looking makes some people think it's an expensive casiotone. I suppose knobs and swtiches would feel great by using expensive components. Lastly it's developed in a country where labor costs are high, and by a small company.
VAT is worth another 200 euros though? It does look beautiful and sound great, and I wasn't insinuating it was like a VL 1. I just said that because he said like a calculator and that's basically what a VL 1 is. ;) Besides, the VL 1 should be taken seriously itself, it's a cool little board.
bonne chance

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:04 am

VAT is around 18% of the retail price IIRC, so nearly 200 out of that. The good thing is that if you buy stuff online from Europe it's like you get an 18% discount on everything. :D

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Swedish company, so VAT is 25%

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 pm

I think it looks really cool, it has some very interesting features and will probably be a whole lot of fun...I definitely want one, and will probably eventually get one if they become widely available, but NOT for $800. I will simply wait to find one used.

If I had $800 right now to throw at a board, I'd probably get a v-synth or a prophet 600, something a bit more useful than an OP-1; and yes, I know, they're about portability and those two boards I listed are not very portable, but regardless - portable, to me, means cheaper as well.

if it came in around $400 to 500, I would go for it brand new most likely.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm

So is there anybody here that happily will spend 800$/800€ on a brand new OP1 ???

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 pm

mao wrote:So is there anybody here that happily will spend 800$/800€ on a brand new OP1 ???
If I were in the position to, I definitely would. It looks like an awesome thing to take everywhere, and like I said, I do that with my VL 1. Regardless of features, they do appear to be roughly the same size. Okay, would you rather me compare to an LPK 25? ;)
Mush wrote:Swedish company, so VAT is 25%
Oh wow! Then I understand more so why the pricing is that way.
Last edited by sequentialsoftshock on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonne chance

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:57 pm

mao wrote:So is there anybody here that happily will spend 800$/800€ on a brand new OP1 ???
That what my original post sort of answered from my perspective, as much as it came out as a bitching about new unreleased product. My opinion is if I personally had $800+tax to spend on gear the OP-1 would not be at the top of that list for a long, long time.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:59 pm

My bandmate is pretty keen.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 pm

If I get more sound examples I like I intend to...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:52 pm

did you hear the oscilloscope stuff? =D>

The synth's price is out of my range indeed.

They sacrificed MIDI in the name of portability. Is a shame but MIDI is a must to me due to the way I work. For other persons is OK, but I would never pay for it due to that issue.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:04 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
If i were in the position to, I definitely would. It looks like an awesome thing to take everywhere, and like I said, I do that with my VL 1. Regardless of features, they do appear to be roughly the same size. Okay, would you rather me compare to an LPK 25? ;)
Mush wrote:Swedish company, so VAT is 25%
Oh wow! Then I understand more so why the pricing is that way.

This thing is completely different than a VL1. The casio sucks, this doesn't.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:41 pm

THEODICY wrote:This thing is completely different than a VL1. The casio sucks, this doesn't.
:facepalm: How much clearer could I possibly be that I'm not comparing them functionality wise?
bonne chance

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Then why do you keep bringing it up in context to the f**k op-1???