Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Re: Teenage Engineering OP-1 Synthesizer

Post by Mush » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:42 pm

@Soundwave: You act like a twat! The clever thing about it is the interface and that makes the hype. To write something you haven't even tried of as a gimmick is (I hate to say it) kind of usually behavior on this forum nowdays. And as I have played around with it I can assure you that it is more feeling like an instrument than a toy. Moreso than the elektron-boxes actually, which is never claimed to be a gimmick. The innovative aspects of the interface is brilliant. The visualization of the string-synthesis beats anything I've worked with before in the realm of Karplus-Strong.

The target-group for this machine is not the same as the clients of Moog Music or Yamaha. It is focussed more on the guys and gals who try to use technology in new ways, to create new stuff. So you won't see it in a dime a dozen cover band or with Dream Theater. A new innovative and creative interface for innovative and creative musicians. I doubt we'll wait long before we can see it in the hands of Autechre and most of the Warp-possé.

Regards

R

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 pm

what matters is that is a different concept and an adventure into innovative products on the synth market. It seems easy to use, and incorpores features that are ignored by a lot of companies. Only time will tell about hardware problems or bugs, but it's good to know they sold them out. Congratulations!

What has batteries, a mini speaker, and radio, is white and small?

Oh yes.... a toy radio! a toy mini keyboard!

Some people will answer that on their minds.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Mush

Post by Mush » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:11 pm

What does also have FM reciever... The latest buchla module...

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:41 pm

the monomachine is the most innovative synth/sequencer design of the past decade

please explain or show me an example of why this op-1 is soooo.good because to me it looks more like an overhyped concept gimmic especially at that price from where i'm standing and i've heard from those who've seen in action say it sounds as cheap as it looks but if you can prove this wrong please be my guest.......

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Soundwave wrote:the monomachine is the most innovative synth/sequencer design of the past decade
please add to that closed sentence "that's my point of view"

I have read "sounds cheap" so much times that I don't know what the f**k means any longer

After a description like that, consider this:

Maybe the guy behind the synth, has a cheap brain.

Maybe the listeners, have cheap ears.

but, no, no is the synth, is the synth....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:40 pm

i stand corrected, the G2 is easily on par with the MnM specially when you get a touch screen involved

anyhowz what does the OP-1's sequencer bring to the table to rival these beasties?

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:50 pm

balma wrote:Does somebody knows what means with a 3 axis motion sensor G Force? Something like a horizontal-vertical D beam controller?
From what I've seen it let's you shake the op1 backwards and forwards and I think side to side and it will affect some synth parameters like the filter. In the videos I've seen it's works quite well.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Ok I've been through a lot of youtube vids about this thing and although I'll give the solid none aliasing sound more credit that it deserves the tape sequencer (or loop sampler) isn't anything you cant do on a Kaoss Pad 3 and the machine as a whole doesn't come close to a realtime workflow of a monomachine especially at that price

it's basically a hardware version of an iPad app impo but if someone can wow me with what this this is capable of in a performance environment then please........

the shaking doesn't do it for me either

for now I'll stick with my trusty DS10 for music on the move

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:35 pm

So.................does the keyboard have aftertouch ? :geek:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:37 am

Soundwave wrote:Ok I've been through a lot of youtube vids about this thing and although I'll give the solid none aliasing sound more credit that it deserves the tape sequencer (or loop sampler) isn't anything you cant do on a Kaoss Pad 3 and the machine as a whole doesn't come close to a realtime workflow of a monomachine especially at that price
I don't get why you've got all this negativity to the OP-1 and are praising the Monomachine. As far as I can see this is teh only thing that's come out since the monomachine which is similar in design ethos, I'd have thought that monomachine lovers would love this. I know you like to complain about stuff on the internet but I'm a bit surprised that you're choosing to complain about this particular thing.

Re the looping thing, if you can manipulate the speed of the loops in the KP3 in realtime and move the loop points around like this I'd love you to tell me how to do it. That said, even if the KP3 can do this it isn't battery powered, portable and has a couple of different kinds of synth under the hood. You can't really compare the two.

colmon

Post by colmon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:48 am

i'm glad someone who's watched a bunch of youtube videos and not actually used the thing is here to school us on how the op-1 is just an overhyped gimmick

colmon

Post by colmon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:51 am

"it sounds as cheap as it looks but if you can prove this wrong please be my guest......."

why don't you "prove" to us that it sounds as cheap as it looks first? (pro tip: watching youtube videos and hearing from people who have seen it in action is not "proof")

rokuez
Gear: E-mu EIII, EII, SP-12 Turbo, Prophet 5 rev2, OBXa, Juno 60, minimoog, TR-808, Yamaha KX-88, atari running notator

Post by rokuez » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:10 pm

wish i hadn't taken my money outta paypal when they were available

now i gotta wait ugh
E-mu Emulator Forum

http://www.eiiiforum.com

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Soundwave wrote:Ok I've been through a lot of youtube vids about this thing and although I'll give the solid none aliasing sound more credit that it deserves the tape sequencer (or loop sampler) isn't anything you cant do on a Kaoss Pad 3 and the machine as a whole doesn't come close to a realtime workflow of a monomachine especially at that price
I don't get why you've got all this negativity to the OP-1 and are praising the Monomachine. As far as I can see this is teh only thing that's come out since the monomachine which is similar in design ethos, I'd have thought that monomachine lovers would love this. I know you like to complain about stuff on the internet but I'm a bit surprised that you're choosing to complain about this particular thing.

Re the looping thing, if you can manipulate the speed of the loops in the KP3 in realtime and move the loop points around like this I'd love you to tell me how to do it. That said, even if the KP3 can do this it isn't battery powered, portable and has a couple of different kinds of synth under the hood. You can't really compare the two.
the KP3 can do a lot of realtime sample manipulation slow/reverse/crossfade/scratch and it can chop a sample in segments and have the playback of the slices you select all clocked to MIDI, I suggest you read the manual for more info and $800 for portability could get you an iPad with change or even a 2nd hand mac

why can't I find any vids with complete tracks done with this yet or even a complete demo track?

all I can find is it can do this and it can do that with a pretty display but it's how it all comes together in a performance and I'm just not seeing it which is worrying in an pricey all in one machine such as this

for £250ish this would be great but $800 is taking this piss hence the apple style hype marketing rather than explaining in detail what really separates this from the crowd which for me says it's nothing radically new repackaged for the iPad generation, heck there's even a pic of how nicely it looks next to a mac ffs!

a monomachine has six outputs, two inputs, MIDI in/out/thru, an awesome six track sequencer, 8 push endless encoder, multicolour LED grid editing, sure the Spectralis has a more generous UI but the workflow of the Elektron is what makes it well worth the money

personally I think they've f**ked up on the production costs with the OP-1 as I've read the fancy colour display boosted the price considerably yet its not even touch screen in fact you could pretty much recreate the entire OP-1 UI on a touch screen just like on a....erm.....iPad perhaps?

someone please show me something decent this thing can do, explain an innovative feature or maybe even an instruction manual please???

Mush

Post by Mush » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:33 pm

What can the Monomachine do that a iPad can't?!?

I have a monomachine, and I have had one for ages, but I still don't see it as something brilliant. The OP1 had me for 20 minutes and I fell for it more than I ever done with the monomachine. Just the thing that you can sequence stuff non-quantizised and loop stuff with independent lenght of other stuff is love. I am pretty tired of being stuck in a grid and the elektron machines I have get you stuck there. However, my friends who have bought Octatrack tells me it is a lot more flexible. So the OP1 and the Octatrack is showing the way for the future - getting away from stale 4/4 grids and loop stuff independently at different timesignatures and manipulate speed and stuff more elegantly.

I also have a Korg KP3 and it is nowhere close to the OP1 in flexibility. I know Stab have one too, so maybe you should not suggest him to read a manual. We both have used it extensively and while innovative - you can't say that it is flexible whan it comes to control. One choice per time...

But as they say; haters got to hate... And idiots make up their minds about stuff through youtube...

The price of 800USD is really nothing for 2 years of development with a handfull of guys and lots of consultants to get expertice in areas not covered by the main team.

And yeah, I had a Spectralis for some time. That interface is the worst ever. The idea to give all options may sound nice, but it is just cluttering the experience of it as an instrument. It sounded great, but that complex modularity don't fit in a groovebox.