DSI MEK/Mopho = Pro One, PEK/P08 = Prophet 5, Prophet VS?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: DSI MEK/Mopho = Pro One, PEK/P08 = Prophet 5, Prophet VS

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:21 am

kuroichi wrote:
Joey wrote:
kuroichi wrote:I'm all for a new vector synth. But please, lets not ask for an 'evolver II'. The world has enough sequels already. I'd much rather see a new synth, separate from previous models.
so if he named it something completely different, but kept stab's same feature requests, would that make you happy?

what a f**k ridiculous comment
Who said anything about the name, I'm saying I'd rather see something new, rather than an updated evolver, you f**k reprobate...
Cool it with the personal attacks kuroichi.

So are you saying a synth with no analogue oscs, sweepable wavetables, user samples and the filters, mod section and delay from the Evolver wouldn't be a new synth? Cause it's a lot more of a different synth than the Mopho is from the Evolver. Or what would you like to see DSI do?

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:00 am

That's the thing, I don't think that's much different from the evolver. Well the digital side at least. As what you've described is basically the digital side with some minor changes. It would make some things easier but wouldn't be that different from the Evolver really. I think the similarities in DSI synths are present in the architecture and interface. With the mopho keyboard being the biggest change due to it's LP style setup.

I think more options in sound sources would make things more interesting such as external audio/sampling capabilities with the ability to modulate within a vector environment. The ability to track the vector planes/effects etc across the keyboard. I'd really be interested to see how DSI would approach a completely different filter setup, or the possibility of a different set of effects. I know some radical experimenting with the design ideas might be too drastic. But I would like to see something that differenciates a new synth a little more.

The mopho, tetra and prophet 08 are basically the same synth architecture. Which is pretty much the analog side of the evolver with some changes. I think what you've suggested is too similar to the evolver digital side.
Last edited by kuroichi on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:05 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Vector synthesis isn't really a synthesis type anyway, it mainly involves modulating the mixing of oscillators which is still an unusual feature even though it can be seen at least as far back as the Ensoniq ESQ-1 nearly a quarter century ago.

Um, how would I go about doing this with my ESQ-1?
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG

Post by noisecomm » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:39 pm

noisecomm wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:
Vector synthesis isn't really a synthesis type anyway, it mainly involves modulating the mixing of oscillators which is still an unusual feature even though it can be seen at least as far back as the Ensoniq ESQ-1 nearly a quarter century ago.

Um, how would I go about doing this with my ESQ-1?
bumped

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding, just set up 2 oscillators with different waveforms, and assign the same LFO to each oscillator's VCA stage, but invert the LFO influence so that when OSC1 is at max volume, OSC2 is silent. Or do the same thing with the mod wheel control.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 am

kuroichi wrote:I think more options in sound sources would make things more interesting such as external audio/sampling capabilities with the ability to modulate within a vector environment. The ability to track the vector planes/effects etc across the keyboard. I'd really be interested to see how DSI would approach a completely different filter setup, or the possibility of a different set of effects. I know some radical experimenting with the design ideas might be too drastic. But I would like to see something that differenciates a new synth a little more.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, apart from the vector thing. Would the addition of the vectors just be adding a joystick with X and Y as outputs in the mod section and working as a recordable envelope type control, or would it be more involved than that?

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:30 am

So if Pro One = MEK, Prophet 5 = Prophet 08, etc., does that mean DSI might double up their 08? Prophet 10=Prophet 16? :mrgreen:
You can't synthesize love

noisecomm

Post by noisecomm » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:49 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:Unless I'm misunderstanding, just set up 2 oscillators with different waveforms, and assign the same LFO to each oscillator's VCA stage, but invert the LFO influence so that when OSC1 is at max volume, OSC2 is silent. Or do the same thing with the mod wheel control.

I have a couple of parches that morph in that situation.

Pym

Post by Pym » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:02 am

Don't expect to see an updated Evolver or any new direct derivatives of the Prophet voice now (eg. no Tetra keyboard). Time to do something new! Of course the analog side will be using the Curtis chip for a while since Dave knows it inside and out and can crank out voice boards quick with it. We're looking at adding a high pass filter and checking out other analog effects, and checking out other new stuff for the next voice. No promises since it'll all depend on how good it sounds vs. how much it costs, but from what I've heard so far out of the early revs it's gonna be pretty sick!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:48 am

I would seriously love it if you guys did some more interesting digital stuff, I think that's a big strength of the instrument and with sampling and wavetables added to the analogue filter you'd have an instrument unlike anything else on the market at the moment.

de raaf

Post by de raaf » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 am

playing my mek with only the digital oscs, gives it more character, defiantly the strongest point of the evolver for me

although a better analog filter configuration or combination with digital
serial, parallel lowpass, highpass, multi, ...
possibilities of fm on the analog osc etc

sticking to the limits and possibilities of the curtis ship ,could stay in the way of interesting new synths, aka too much repetition ...