pain in the a*s synths (frustration)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smoothcriminal

Re: pain in the a*s synths (frustration)

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:
The first button to wear out on a Roland is always the shift button :banghead:
Yup, the MC-303 i had, i got tired of holding down the function and shift buttons to do *anything*
*Memories of putting all my bodyweight into my MC-303's shift button to get it to respond to being pressed* ah I'm so glad to have finally sold that thing after like 9 years of it collecting dust.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Going to have to agree with AG :shock: and Shaft - the Prophecy is a pain the a*s. I love it to death, and it's only a pain because it is so deep and flexible. I suppose I could take the time to memorize the CC parameters or make a cheat sheet though. Plus no jog wheel for easily getting around patches; I hate scrolling with a button press.

Additionally, the Roland DJ70. Amazing filter, nice time stretching that can be assigned to the wheel, but damned byzantine architecture.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 pm

I bought the XBase 999 and Spectralis in a single transaction. I've never regretted an internet purchase more. I sold the Spectralis at a steep loss and will hold on to the 999 out of sheer spite if I can't get my asking price. I guess I'm spoiled by the Elektrons and monosynths, which basically get out of your way when using them.
Yours,
Niall.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:10 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:I personally never ended up learning how the envelope works on my DX7. Its the first synth I used and ever tried to program, but still 11 years later I still cant get the envelope to do what I want it to. So frustrating!... I mean I understand the concept behind the diagram, but I just cant get it to do anything useful. :?
It took me a while to figure it out, since it is such a pain in the a*s! You're basically setting the rate and level of each stage of the ADSR.

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:02 am

The DX7 wasn't the easiest synth to learn but now after a couple of years of everyday use I really dig the logic behind the UI. I think Yamaha did very well with the front panel layout. Once I understood how to make the sounds I want, it is no longer a PITA, quite the opposite in fact.

I think, in a speed challenge to achieve a given sound I would beat many computer editor/FM8 users because the DX7 front panel works so well for me.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:52 am

tallowwaters wrote:...the Roland DJ70. Amazing filter, nice time stretching that can be assigned to the wheel, but damned byzantine architecture.
This. ^^

I had a Roland DJ-70mkII. Awesome sampler in terms of what could be done, but that said, it was like building a ship through a letterslot.

Roland's architecture allows for so much power in terms of sound design - something I really appreciate on my Roland S-760 - but that same byzantine architecture as accessed through the DJ-70 UI - well, it is enough to lead one to freak out.

In relative terms, it makes the Yamaha SY99 look like a breeze, but lemme tell ya', that's no walk in the park either.

Heck, I prefer using my Yamaha FS1r to the experience that was the Roland DJ-70mkII. It has that amazing JD/S-7xx-series filter, and sounds a treat, but in the end, it was just self-abuse, and not the kind that you want to repeat, if you catch my drift. ;)

cheers,
Ian

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:05 am

I still have my Ensoniq SQ-1+ as a MIDI controller. Obviously the operation system is very messy, but at least the layout of the controls is logical. The envelopes in particular are very confusing, since the unit just displays rows and rows of different values. I guess in the 90s we were just more inclined to work with menus and small LCD screens, but after the PC-based home recording craze started I hardly ever touched those functions. The SQ1 also has the tendency to reset its memory to factory settings every now and then, erasing everything you've done. I don't know was it due to a bug or due to some serious issues with the hardware. Step sequencing on that thing was ridiculous.

I've been trying to figure out its alleged "transwave" functions more recently, but not much has come out of it. The manual states basically nothing of it and my results have been rudimentary. What I've gotten out of it isn't worth the hassle. I don't think that part of it has much to do with those Ensoniq synths that are more desired today.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:15 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
TrondC wrote:should not be hard to make a MC808 engine run by an Electribe interface...
C'mon it's a Roland, they don't know how to make anything that doesn't use a single control for at least three functions. Then there's the if you please to make good sound manual for your reading :ugeek:

The first button to wear out on a Roland is always the shift button :banghead:
just because Roland won't do it does not mean it should not be easy for a company to do so.. but I seriously doubt roland will ever do such a thing... just waiting for a 128-poly "groovebox" made not by roland, not by korg, but by elektron.. gawd that would rock

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:47 am

The architecture of the Roland S-750 took me a while to get my head wrapped around, because the various parameters exist at so many different layers (sample, partial, patch, performance, volume). I got that sorted out eventually, but one thing I never got used to is the fact that some pages behave differently depending on how you got to that page. I see why they did that -- it's supposed to be a convenience feature -- but it tends to trap you into the workflow that the software designers envisioned, which as it turns out is not the workflow that I prefer. I finally set up some jump buttons that I always use to access certain pages, so that the path to the page is always the same and I'm not surprised by something not working the way I expected it to.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:41 pm

the VZ-10M has irritated me far more than the prophecy ever could! bloody casio.......

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:46 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Going to have to agree with AG :shock:
:shock:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

miket156

Post by miket156 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 am

For me, the Yamaha Motif ES8, what a pain to learn how to use. It will be 6 years old come August so I can say that I can do what i need to do on this synth and it sounds great. But the user interface was all it own. Forget subtractive synth knowledge, it won't help much on an ES8. I was one of the ES series owners that bitched like h**l about how convoluted the user interface was on that synth on Musicplayer.com

Yamaha has made some improvements in their user interfaces on the Motif line. The XS series has a larger color screen and it is so much nicer than the ES series. Yamaha also came out with the S90XS series and that looks like a big improvement for live work than a menu diving synth like the Motif. The screen is small but with all the front panel controls on that KB, it really doesn't need a big screen. Maybe there is hope for Yamaha after all.

Mike T.
Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis ION, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, Moog Source, Arp Odyssey Model III, 1979 Rhodes Suitcase Mark 1. Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Lots of PA gear, amps, speakers, mixers, EQ's, FX, you name it.

polyklinik
Gear: VCO, VCF, THC, LSD

Post by polyklinik » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 am

The Yamaha TX81z.... my favourite FM synth, but i hate to make a new patch...