Expert Sleepers Audio->CV Interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Expert Sleepers Audio->CV Interface

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Use this new module to connect to an audio interface and let your computer control your modular by CV rather than MIDI-CV. Very cool and not expensive...120UKP.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es1.html
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

schmidtc

Re: Expert Sleepers Audio->CV Interface

Post by schmidtc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:54 pm

This looks interesting, thanks for posting. I've never used Silent Way, but I thought it auto-tunes the voltage scaling with a mic and tells your audio interface to spit out CV and Gate. Why is an additional interface needed?

Do you mean audio line level voltages control it and it spits out CV? Is there a pitch to voltage converter circuit in it?

Edit: The circuitry looks like a bunch of op-amps. I'm guessing this just buffers the CV so the notes don't droop when connected to a low impedance load.

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:57 am

Very few audio interfaces are DC coupled (which you need for CV), Silent Way has an option to 'encode' DC signals onto audio (otherwise known as amplitude mod). This interface is essentially a bunch of envelope followers that track the amplitude of the incoming audio and use this to generate DC CVs, also boosting them to modular levels.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Excuse the possibly stupid question. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work for non-modulars that still use CV/Gate?

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:42 pm

So it takes a line level, say ~.1V/octave, signal coming out of an audio interface and amplifies it to 1 V/oct? Are audio interfaces not referenced to ground (floating)? Is there use for this module outside the context of Silent Way? Sorry, I still don't get it.

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Arddhu wrote:Excuse the possibly stupid question. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work for non-modulars that still use CV/Gate?
None whatsoever, except you need a power supply for it.
schmidtc wrote:So it takes a line level, say ~.1V/octave, signal coming out of an audio interface and amplifies it to 1 V/oct? Are audio interfaces not referenced to ground (floating)? Is there use for this module outside the context of Silent Way? Sorry, I still don't get it.
No, as I said it tracks the amplitude of the audio signal and turns it into a DC voltage, then amplifies that DC voltage.
As for using it outside Silent Way, not for turning note data into CV, but you could use your softsynths (using AM) to generate complex CVs for anything.
Suffice to say if you don't get it by now, it's probably not for you ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 pm

schmidtc wrote:Are audio interfaces not referenced to ground (floating)?
I'd suggest you read up on MOTU Volta and Silent Way. Volta does require special cabling to deal with grounds.

Both Volta and Silent Way are ways to get your computer to control CVs directly without having to use MIDI and a MIDI/CV conversion. There's lots of advantages to this approach, set aside as many audio tracks in your DAW as you want to control CVs and no need to deal with the limited resolution and serialized transfer of MIDI. Your only limitation is how many channels of audio your interface supports.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.