My (and Your) Favorite Minimoog Solos

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Esus

Re: My (and Your) Favorite Minimoog Solos

Post by Esus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Great album!! =D> JM's work with Bob Easton's 360 System Guitar Synth was pretty rad, too!

There was a band in the early '70s call Blind Melon Chitlin'. Don't remember the guitar player's name, but the lineup was Stu Goldberg on keys, Nyle Steiner on trumpet, EVI, and his early synth stuff, Ralph Forbes (who would go on to back up Tom Jones and others in Vegas for years) on drums, and pretty much all the Fowler Brothers on everything else. I was lucky enough to catch a couple of their gigs, and they were way ahead of their time. It's not surprising that they individually went on to gain as much notoriety as they did.

Wish I had a tape of one of their shows...

intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Post by intercorni » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:07 pm

The End of the Tangerine Dream "Pergamon" 2nd Part is my favorites Minimoog-Solo.
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Esus wrote:Great album!! =D> JM's work with Bob Easton's 360 System Guitar Synth was pretty rad, too!
Yeah, on the title track "Inner Worlds" McLaughlin is playing a modified Gibson with a hex pickup going through a 360 Systems converter and six Minimoogs (one for each string!). Stu only played ep and organ on that track.
There was a band in the early '70s call Blind Melon Chitlin'. Don't remember the guitar player's name, but the lineup was Stu Goldberg on keys, Nyle Steiner on trumpet, EVI, and his early synth stuff, Ralph Forbes (who would go on to back up Tom Jones and others in Vegas for years) on drums, and pretty much all the Fowler Brothers on everything else. I was lucky enough to catch a couple of their gigs, and they were way ahead of their time. It's not surprising that they individually went on to gain as much notoriety as they did.
Wish I had a tape of one of their shows...
Cool, those were the days.....
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:32 pm

tim gueguen wrote:It's a song that in retrospect he and the others didn't like much, but I've always liked Geddy Lee's solos on Rush's "Countdown."
+1

Prolly my least favorite track on Signals but the solo and bridge of Countdown is great.

The bridge-solos in Subdivisions are simple yet tasty as well.

(solos at 2:11 and 3:52)

Also, a great example of the E1010 delay.

organsymphony
Gear: an assortment of various friction idiophones
Band: Parrot Fashion

Post by organsymphony » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:05 pm

i like Greg Phillinganes' solo on "The Long Division" from Costello's album "Painted from Memory".

In the context of the song, actually the whole album, it just grabs me every time.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 pm

If you like Chick Corea the solos on the Mad Hatter album are pretty much mandatory. A great atmosphere is set in the first track - "The Woods". IMO, the only track to skip is "The Trial" - the rest is gold.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Ssuming that it *is* a mini, the stuff Patrick Moraz plays on The Story of i is ridiculously deft. As much as I admire his work on Relayer by Yes (including the pitch wheel work notes upthread) his playing on this album just blows it away.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Some of the leads/solos on "The Story Of I" were obviously played on the Minimoog or/and the double-minimoog
but at the same time he was also using a Micromoog, Pro Soloist, 2600, Axxe, Synthi A plus several polyphonic
keyboards like the prototype Polymoog etc. Afaik, this album was the first to feature the Polymoog (about one year
prior to its release to the market) and it's also one of the first recordings where a Micromoog was used.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Rick wakeman, "White Rock":

Fantastic!

Kevin.

Anaon
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender Classic Player 50, Yamaha LL16, Behringer Model D, Behringer VC340, Gforce Mtron...
Band: Spleen Arcana

Post by Anaon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Great thread!!

I'm in a Minimoog mood (in a Minimood :mrgreen: ), any other favourite Minimoog moments?
My homemade prog rock : http://www.spleenarcana.com/

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm not sure if it's the Mini or the Pro-one, but Mark Kelly's solo on Marillion's "Just For the Record" (at about 1:52) is amazing:
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:27 pm

aXL wrote:I'm not sure if it's the Mini or the Pro-one, but Mark Kelly's solo on Marillion's "Just For the Record" (at about 1:52) is amazing:
Mark Kelly is my favorite moog and pro-one solo player! He is!

That solo is played on the Pro-One, with the same settings as the solo in "Incommunicado!

taskoni
Gear: Fun cost money - how hard you want to laugh

Post by taskoni » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm

Yoozer wrote:If you like Chick Corea the solos on the Mad Hatter album are pretty much mandatory. A great atmosphere is set in the first track - "The Woods". IMO, the only track to skip is "The Trial" - the rest is gold.
Yes!
That's what exactly what I was about to write before I saw this post :)

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:32 pm

I always like the tasty simple solos that Linda McCartney played with Wings*.

*Mini-malist Moog!
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 am