My (and Your) Favorite Minimoog Solos

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JJQ

Re: My (and Your) Favorite Minimoog Solos

Post by JJQ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am

Great music!

I've started the hunt for Venusian summer & The First Seven Days :)
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

Esus

Post by Esus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:23 am

Yet another one...

George Duke's Lemme At It from Reach For It (1977):

Mini solo @ 2:57 . Kinda like the filter tweakage @ 3:36.

George seems to be having a bit of fun as well. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:33 am

This entire song is pretty much a Minimoog solo. It's the era of keyboard/guitar driven prog rock (late 70s), where the keyboard player was almost more important than the guitar player. Most of the keyboardists would use a hammond-type organ/stringer with a minimoog on top to play blistering solos. This was one of the first songs I learned how to play from start to finish on a monosynth.

There's some nice Moog/stringer/hammond interaction around 4:30 and out

Shutoku

Post by Shutoku » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:05 pm

You know another Minimoog player who I think is quite under-rated is Gary Wright.
I actually love most of his solos because they are just so melodic.
My favorite album of his is the rather obscure "Light of Smiles", where almost every track has a great solo (and the moog bass playing is pretty damned exquisit too!!).
They generally aren't difficult or complex to play, but very melodic and perfect for the songs they are in.
You can find most of the songs on youtube.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:38 pm

I fully agree with you Shutoku, but don't forget that the Oberheim 4-voice is responsible for some of the synth solos on "Light of Smiles".
For example, the solos on "Water Sign" is the Obie.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Esus

Post by Esus » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:40 am

Sky Blue. Passport, Ataraxia (1977). Willy Ketzer, keys. Mini solo @ 1:47:

Sounds like he added a little white noise into the patch. IMO, about as expressive as it gets.

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:50 am

themilford wrote:
tim gueguen wrote:It's a song that in retrospect he and the others didn't like much, but I've always liked Geddy Lee's solos on Rush's "Countdown."
+1

Prolly my least favorite track on Signals but the solo and bridge of Countdown is great.

The bridge-solos in Subdivisions are simple yet tasty as well.

(solos at 2:11 and 3:52)

Also, a great example of the E1010 delay.
+2

Those Moog solos are really what made me fall in love with that song. There are some great synth sounds all over that song and the entire Signals album. Its a shame the band seems to have dismissed that entire synth era of their music, I think it was some of their best work.

Moving on. I love the little synth bits at 6:46 and 14:51 on Yes's Close to the Edge. I'd assume those are the Minimoog. After all, Rick himself said that he had 8 at one time :shock:

Any Colour You Like - Pink Floyd. Though I'm not sure if it was done on the Minimoog, or the EMS. I've heard both.

And of course the Minimoog horns on Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:31 am

Here's another great minimoog solo/song by Magnum, more of a 2,5 minute radio format than the last 8,5minute epic I posted. This time in a "octave" VCO setup. He also does some interesting harmony in the solo part (overdubbing tracks). I love this kind of prog/rock music where the synth is nearly in the front of the sound instead of just background "noise". Early Genesis and Marillion (Fish era) did this also.

When they played this song live in 1980 (Marauder), he had both VCO's in the same pitch instead of octave apart, making the live recording sound totally different. There's also some fat bassy filter sweeps near the end.

The solo begins at 00:59

Naive Teen Idol
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Studio Electronics MIDIMini, DSI Evolver, Linn LM-2 Linndrum, Roland TR-77, Roland GR-300, Novation Remote SL 25

Post by Naive Teen Idol » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Moving on. I love the little synth bits at 6:46 and 14:51 on Yes's Close to the Edge. I'd assume those are the Minimoog. After all, Rick himself said that he had 8 at one time
The 14:51 solo is definitely Hammond B3, not Minimoog. Great solo, tho.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Rick's fingers are so strong he could stab through your ribcage and take out your heart with a single move.

I saw a rehearsal video with him once, he pounded the keys so hard you heard more key rattling than actual playing.

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Funny enough, on the LP version of this ...

Mimed on an OB here ... figured I'd post this oddball vid version as there's more gear pr0n to drool over.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Esus wrote:Sky Blue. Passport, Ataraxia (1977). Willy Ketzer, keys. Mini solo @ 1:47:

Sounds like he added a little white noise into the patch. IMO, about as expressive as it gets.
Hendrik Schaper played the Minimoog solo on "Sky Blue" but the other synth work was done by Klaus Doldinger. Willy Ketzer was
their drummer at the time.

Klaus Doldinger & Passport live at Montreux, summer 1980:

Klaus Doldinger: Soprano & Tenor saxophone, Prophet 5 rev 1, Roland RS-09 and Korg VC-10 vocoder.
Hendrik Schaper: ARP Quadra, Rhodes ep and Minimoog.

Check out the tracks Shirokko, Dreamware and Departure for some more Minimoog solos by Schaper.

Excellent musicians!
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Naive Teen Idol wrote:
Moving on. I love the little synth bits at 6:46 and 14:51 on Yes's Close to the Edge. I'd assume those are the Minimoog. After all, Rick himself said that he had 8 at one time
The 14:51 solo is definitely Hammond B3, not Minimoog. Great solo, tho.
The Hammond solo starts at 15:00, at 14:51 there was a little synth riff that was also played at 6:46 and 6:55.

I agree, its great.

Esus

Post by Esus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 am

Micke wrote:
Esus wrote: Hendrik Schaper played the Minimoog solo on "Sky Blue" but the other synth work was done by Klaus Doldinger. Willy Ketzer was
their drummer at the time.
Yep, should have caught that one. :oops:

I wonder, do you know which polysynth is used on Ball the Jack from Earthborn?

I'd swear it's a P5, but could also be an Obie??
Micke wrote:Check out the tracks Shirokko, Dreamware and Departure for some more Minimoog solos by Schaper.
Will do! :thumbsup:

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Esus wrote:
I wonder, do you know which polysynth is used on Ball the Jack from Earthborn?
I guess it's a Prophet 5 like you said. On the other hand, by 1982, Klaus also had an OB-Xa, Jupiter-8 and a Korg PS-3200 (which he still owns
along with an ARP 2500!). I don't think he recorded much with the Korg though, except maybe some parts on the albums "Garden of Eden" (1979) and
"Oceanliner" (1980). The other keyboard player in the band, Hermann Weindorf, also had a Prophet 5 and an Oberheim 4-voice.

Klaus bought his first Minimoog back in 1971 in London and iirc he first used it on Passport's self-titled debut album.