New Mono Synth from Vermona

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: New Mono Synth from Vermona

Post by th0mas » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:25 am

StepLogik wrote:bump to see if anyone has bought a Mono Lancet yet. I'm really thinking about getting one, but would like to read some reviews. I'm also concerned about tuning stability - will it hold it tuning through a live show?
It was reviewed in a recent Sound on Sound magazine. I think either October or September.

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:49 pm

I demoed one of these the other day. It's a nice little box.

The sound, well, I'm in that particularly cliched school of people who compare everything with a 24 dB filter to a Model D so I may not be the best to judge but apart from the filter doing everything it should, tonally it sounded a little hard. I was mostly aiming for leads but when I did venture south there were some bold bass tones to be had.

In terms of interface I was very impressed. The knobs are smooth, grabbable, accurate and the switches are a delight to use. I had a Dark Energy for a while and while the interface on that was nice if a little minature, the Lancet is just easy and fun to use. Definitely would recommend it for live use. I don't think you'd have to worry about tuning instability but then again, as with any fully analogue synths, you must make sure your master tune is in tune with the rest of the band.

In comparison I tried to have a play around with a Nanozwerg which I couldn't get working properly (it was set up with a Doepfer expression ribbon, no keyboard & going through some strange monitoring) and that could still be my favourite out the bunch for a mini synth.

If you like the tone you're hearing of the Mono Lancet I'd recommend going for one. Very well made and a nice interface.

All hail mini-synths! There's no excuse not to have a little choir of them!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:25 pm

I'll tell you when mine comes in next week. I needed something to take on tour to Seattle with me next month so I splurged, based on the comments of folks on other forums I know who have them. All the demos on Youtube are sequenced and meant more for a different use than what I'd get out of it (I don't sequence hardware) so I will attempt my first Youtube demo of leads, basses and sound FX once I get it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:53 am

Looks nice. Gives the Mopho Keyboard a run for it's money.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:17 am

Alex E wrote:Looks nice. Gives the Mopho Keyboard a run for it's money.
Not really. You are comparing a single oscillator synth expander module to a fully-featured 2-osc monosynth with a keyboard.

What would be really cool is if the euro part could be stand alone somehow (though I guess that would make it too similar to the dark energy)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:20 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Not really. You are comparing a single oscillator synth expander module to a fully-featured 2-osc monosynth with a keyboard.

What would be really cool is if the euro part could be stand alone somehow (though I guess that would make it too similar to the dark energy)
True, true.
soundcloud.com/vectron

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:26 am

Alex E wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
True, true.
The mono has 2 VCO's , but yes apples and some fruit no one has ever heard of .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:24 am

loungedumore wrote:The mono has 2 VCO's , but yes apples and some fruit no one has ever heard of .
:lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:33 am

Sir Ruff wrote: :lol:
I like to throw an Arrested development quote out there once in a while ;)
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:30 pm

This is a very quick and dirty demo of the Lancet in song context. All Lancet with judicious effects. Not like an Automatic Gainsay or Keyboard Wizard demo, but I'm not either one of those guys! So there.

PROS:
1. The Lancet is definitely a pro synthesizer. Rockers are solid, pots are bolted down, knobs are tactile, the layout is perfect and it is heavy, made from rolled steel. I love DSI but none of the products I've owned from them felt this solid. And don't get me started on MFB... (though i love both companies' products).
2. It's got the sound too. It is definitely Moog-ish. The envelope is clicky with plenty of attack, the oscillators are warm and sizzle up top like the old school synths. The filter resonance is touchy though. It self-oscillates at 50% of the pot. The filter tracks the keyboard perfect for almost two octaves, so not as strong in that suit as Moog but definitely better than DSI and MFB.
3. It's new and you know it's gonna work when you turn it on. It doesn't drift after a 5-minute warm-up.
4. It's got a small footprint. Not as small as DSI but not as big as an MFB Synth either.
5. Noise AND triangle waves. Plus S/H on the LFO and a VCA bypass so I can have it drone. Don't get those as much on smaller lower budget synths.

CONS
1. No oscillator sync. No filter input unless you buy the breakout modular box. Mod wheel only controls pulse width (wished it controlled LFO to filter and/or pitch) but I can turn knobs to get vibrato.
2. Some commands are buried and require MIDI CC's to edit, such as velocity, legato and such. I'm not really a MIDI do, I'm more of a MIDI don't. I use it exclusively for playing keyless modules. So I've had to dig out manuals to have my controllers send the proper messages. And I still haven't figured out legato yet.

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with it. For the price I paid for it you really can't beat it. It's in the same price range now as SH-09's or CS-5's or MG-1's. If you are in the market for that kind of synth you certainly owe it to consider the Lancet.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for the demo @redchapterjubilee.

I like the way it sounds... does anyone know if the oscillators and filters are similar to VERMONA's earlier synths like the MARS and the PERFOURMER?

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:13 pm

memory cords wrote:Thanks for the demo @redchapterjubilee.
+1
...and for the pros & cons.
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks for the great review!

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:01 pm

memory cords wrote:Thanks for the demo @redchapterjubilee.

I like the way it sounds... does anyone know if the oscillators and filters are similar to VERMONA's earlier synths like the MARS and the PERFOURMER?
I used to have a Perfourmer. Judging from Redchapter's demo, the Lancet sounds pretty much exactly the same as the oscillators and filter on the Perfourmer. I wouldn't be surprised if Vermona simply reboxed the same components into the petite body of the Lancet, actually.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:49 pm

The Kick Lancet looks pretty nifty as well. Time to pop some antacid for the sudden GAS flare-up.