Tears For Fears "The Hurting": name those synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Tears For Fears "The Hurting": name those synths?

Post by Christopher Winkels » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:55 am

I don't think this one has come up before (certainly a search didn't yield any hits).

Anyone care to do a rundown on the first TFF album and what was used on it? I was just listening to a copy of their Peel Sessions recordings from '82, when The Hurting was the only thing they had in the can to draw from, and it got me thinking about what a gem that album is.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Re: Tears For Fears "The Hurting": name those synths?

Post by hfinn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 am

The two I remember being used on The Hurting was Jupiter 8 and a Prophet 5. Live in 83 they were also using a PPG wave and a Yamaha I can't figure out.
Last edited by hfinn on Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:24 am

If they had those 2 synths for their first album, they certainly weren't "hurting".

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:31 am

I saw a video of a live performance of "Mad World" and remember spotting a Polysix. Don't know if that was used on the record, though.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:04 pm

To the best of my knowledge that album was recorded with a Prophet 5, Jupiter-8 and Movement drum computer (I think?).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:34 pm

there is Peter Gabriel's Fairlight, Prophet 5 Rev2 and Linn LM-1 all over that album. they were neighbours in Bath, and he borrowed them synths. i even remember an interview where this was mentioned.

just listen to PG III (the meltface), and then drop in "The Hurting" in your CD after..

i was a lot into PG, and still am, and in TFF when they came out, but was in my early teens then so i didn't pay much attention to these things. however, just recently, i played Hurting after maybe 15yrs or more, now with different ears it was a revelation - was suprised how many sounds i recognized from Gabriel's records, and how many production quirks/tricks are similar. even some harmonic solutions too.

never the less The Hurting is still one of my fav records of that early Brit synth pop era.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm

I didn't know they used Peter Gabriel's Fairlight and Linn LM-1 on that album, you learn something new every day :)

As for the Prophet, I believe it was a Rev 3 because to my knowledge Peter didn't own a Rev 2. He did
carry a rev 1 (#0047) on the 1980 tour (PG III), but that synth wasn't his.

Here's a pic of Gabriel's Rev 3 alongside Larry Fast's Rev 1 (from the PG 4 "security" sessions back in '81):
http://synergy-emusic.com/petergabrielp ... pg4pix.htm

Btw, Larry Fast's Rev 1 P5 is serial number #0106 and he still has it.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:42 pm

I second the PPG Wave inclusion - you can definitely hear it doing the chimey chords on "The Way You Are" - unmistakable.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:18 pm

"The Way You Are" was added to the remastered version of "The Hurting" in 1999 but the song wasn't recorded
for that album, it was recorded after the tour in the fall of '83. I believe Ian Stanley aquired the PPG Wave 2.2
sometime after The Hurting had been completed because I don't hink there's any PPG on the original album tracks.

As you can see, he did use one for the chimey chords when they performed this song at the Rockpalast in May '83:

erics2s

Post by erics2s » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Question - In the song "Change" at the 2:40 minute mark there is a synth bridge where they play what seems to be bass octaves back and forth rapidly.

Anyone ID this fat bass-oriented synth sound? Sounds Oberheim-esque but lots of synths can make this sound.

Thanks!

mini700
Gear: Minikorg700, Polysix, Korg CX-3, Hohner Pianet T, JD-800, Bassstation, 808, 707 ..

Post by mini700 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:38 pm

I remember thinking that the organ on "Suffer the children" sounded a lot like a preset on my Polysix.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Micke wrote:Btw, Larry Fast's Rev 1 P5 is serial number #0106 and he still has it.
I've got P5 Rev 1 #116.

It would be cool to find out where the other 184 of them are.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.