Tangerine Dream Underwater Sunlight Synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Re: Tangerine Dream Underwater Sunlight Synths

Post by rharris07 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:06 pm

tim gueguen wrote:Here's what Peter Baumann is up to today.
http://baumanninstitute.org/index.php

wow that sounds really stupid. they never actually state anything they're for. it just beats around the bush over and over. what a terrible waste. goddamn hippies.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 pm

memory cords wrote:
Z wrote:I prefer the 80's TD over 70's and definately 90's [cough] c**p [/cough]. To me the songs from this era were better structured and more melodic. I'm guessing that was more of Franke's influence.
It was Johannes Schmoelling who first brought the increased sense of melody and structure into Tangerine Dream, this has been stated by both Froese and Franke in several interviews.
I like the Shmoelling-era TD better than any other TD configuration.
But the interesting thing is that Shmoelling's solo work after Tangerine Dream wasn't any good.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:38 am

I think that can be said for almost all solo albums from TD members...Edgar froese being the only one I've heard make worthwhile solo material. Peter baumann's solo work was absolutely awful, the same for Jerome froese's work...dreadful nonsense, and Haslinger's soundtrack work is boring as all h**l.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Anyone feel the demise in quality of TD's output after 1987, could be put down the choice of sequencers? Around this time they started to use software based sequencers the first being Steinberg Pro 24, which i'm sure was used for the Berlin 87 concert. After that they moved to Cubase.

The period before, which many comment on being their best stuff (75-87) was all hardware step/ pattern based sequencing. I esp love the more melodic sequenced years from 1980- 1985 (Tangram, Exit, Logos, White Eagle and Poland)

Anyone else feel there's a connection?

Imagine what Franke would have come up with had he a Cirklon during the golden years !! :shock:

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 pm

john909kid wrote:Anyone feel the demise in quality of TD's output after 1987, could be put down the choice of sequencers? Around this time they started to use software based sequencers the first being Steinberg Pro 24, which i'm sure was used for the Berlin 87 concert. After that they moved to Cubase.

The period before, which many comment on being their best stuff (75-87) was all hardware step/ pattern based sequencing. I esp love the more melodic sequenced years from 1980- 1985 (Tangram, Exit, Logos, White Eagle and Poland)

Anyone else feel there's a connection?

Imagine what Franke would have come up with had he a Cirklon during the golden years !! :shock:

Yeah, it would be nice to see Froese ALONE making a track with some new pattern sequencers, the Memotron (which he has but not use), a Voyager Old School and a P08, I think the result would be not as forgetable as the Tangerine Dream's output from the last two decades.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Underwater Sunlight is like lift music. Awful. I much prefer TD's early stuff; Zeit is my favourite pre-Pheadra album, and I like pretty much all the Virgin releases, though there are moments when they seem to run out of steam a bit later on... Le Parc is fun though, not least for the Streethawk connection.

Richard Gear

Post by Richard Gear » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Underwater Sunlight is like lift music. Awful. I much prefer TD's early stuff; Zeit is my favourite pre-Pheadra album, and I like pretty much all the Virgin releases, though there are moments when they seem to run out of steam a bit later on... Le Parc is fun though, not least for the Streethawk connection.
Let's not forget Force Majeure. Asside Phaedra, Ricochet and Encore are also great.

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:40 pm

(imo of course)......
Everything up to and including Berlin 1987 concert= EXCELLENT (seriously I love every single album!!!)

Post 1987 = MEH !!!!!!!!

dblondin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: nl2, juno60, pro1, jd990, EII, cr-8000, syntorchestra, eurorack

Post by dblondin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:32 pm

portland wrote:
memory cords wrote:
Z wrote:I prefer the 80's TD over 70's and definately 90's [cough] c**p [/cough]. To me the songs from this era were better structured and more melodic. I'm guessing that was more of Franke's influence.
It was Johannes Schmoelling who first brought the increased sense of melody and structure into Tangerine Dream, this has been stated by both Froese and Franke in several interviews.
I like the Shmoelling-era TD better than any other TD configuration.
But the interesting thing is that Shmoelling's solo work after Tangerine Dream wasn't any good.

Johannes Schmoelling's first solo album Wuivend Reit released in 1986 was actually quite good. Very good melodies on that one and it had a strong TD influence. I thought Franke's first solo work Pacific Coast Highway had a couple good sequences but it was really bland overall. Franke seemed strongest at arpeggiation and Schmoelling at the melodies but when they went separate ways the fire went out quick.

splitpoint

Post by splitpoint » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:20 am

intercorni wrote:Underwater Sunlight is recorded with the the WaveFrame System.
Do you have a reference to support that? I thought the Audioframe 1000 wasn't introduced until late 1986, I'd be really interested in knowing for sure.
Waveframe 1000, Wavestation, OBMX, EIII, Red Square, esq1, and others...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Afaik, the Audioframe 1000 (it was called the WaveFrame in the early days) wasn't released to the market
until 1987 or 1988 even. The company had a working prototype out by october 1986 though.

As for TD using a WaveFrame on Underwater Sunlight, well, I kinda doubt it seeing as that album was recorded in the spring of 1986 according to the info I have. They might have used it on "Tyger" though (recorded in 1987) because they give "special thanks
to WaveFrame" in the album liner notes.

Notable WaveFrame users:

Peter Gabriel: "Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ" (1989) and "US" (1992)
Chris Franke: "Pacific Coast Highway" (1991) etc.
Stevie Wonder
Michael Cretu
Fred Myrow & Chris Stone: "Phantasm II" ost (1988)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Post by intercorni » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Yes, the waveframe system was used by chris franke.
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

splitpoint

Post by splitpoint » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:08 am

Micke wrote:Afaik, the Audioframe 1000 (it was called the WaveFrame in the early days) wasn't released to the market
until 1987 or 1988 even. The company had a working prototype out by october 1986 though.
Thanks for the clarification Micke. My Waveframe is supposed to be a pretty early one and was built in 1989.
Waveframe 1000, Wavestation, OBMX, EIII, Red Square, esq1, and others...

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:57 am

john909kid wrote:Anyone feel the demise in quality of TD's output after 1987, could be put down the choice of sequencers?
More like Edgar Froese's bad choice of new band members and getting tired of heavy, expensive equipment that couldn't be cheaply maintained on tour, or that would overpower his shitty guitar playing in a mix. Schmoelling also encouraged the use of sampling, which shortly disappeared from TD's music when he did.

Once their gear bills became so high, they had to play commercial-sounding bullcrap and yawn-inducing soundtrack music to pay all the loans, then in the process, forgot how to experiment with sound as a form of surrealist art, or just didn't care anymore. What a waste.

When I listen to the Sorcerer soundtrack followed by Melrose, I hear such a tragic loss in creativity that I have to wonder if Froese didn't have the contents of his skull emptied and filled with bees. Is it a wonder shortly after this that the general public associate synthesizer music with Yanni or Mannheim Steamroller?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:47 pm

nice rant, Stimpy :mrgreen:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies