korg monotron vs MS-20

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: korg monotron vs MS-20

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:16 pm

pflosi wrote:if there's a cv mod it would be interesting to know what characteristics it usesf. hz/v like the original? v/oct?

would be of great importance for those that want to use it as additional vco to their synths...
That really would be absolutely fantastic. Just so incredible.. you could just pick up an extra VCO for $60. That would be a revolution.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:00 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
RD9 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: I hope they never make one with MIDI so you bastards have to learn to play the damned thing with your hands. : )
MIDI for a keyboard not a sequencer.

And not only that, but keyboard > MAQ16/3 > Monotron, so you can play transposable arpeggios.
With the bounty of digital realtime recording equipment these days, there's really no need for a sequencer, unless you just can't bear not to be quantized. :wink:

:::looks at hands::: These things play transposable arpeggios, as well, though.
I know, I know. Why the h**l would anyone take all that time actually learning to play arpeggios when you can just press a button?
Jesus Christ, you're like the Mussolini of VSE. ;)

I think you're imposing your way of thinking on others too much, as if there was no need for experimentation any more, or alternative ways to think and compose. Just work the way you work and let other people do their thing. And just take my word on the arpeggio thing. If you don't see the need for it in your work, obviously don't worry about it. Just because you can't think of a reason to do something one way doesn't mean someone else won't find it useful or interesting. Or even -- God forbid -- inspirational.

Would you mind if I called you Il Duce? :D

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:23 am

The dude's user name is Automatic Gainsay. He didn't come here for abuse. He obviously just came in for an argument, room 12a just along the corridor.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:26 am

RD9 wrote:Jesus Christ, you're like the Mussolini of VSE. ;)

I think you're imposing your way of thinking on others too much, as if there was no need for experimentation any more, or alternative ways to think and compose.
Even though you are a fairly new member you have described AG perfectly. =D>
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 am

RD9 wrote:I think you're imposing your way of thinking on others too much, as if there was no need for experimentation any more, or alternative ways to think and compose. Just work the way you work and let other people do their thing. And just take my word on the arpeggio thing. If you don't see the need for it in your work, obviously don't worry about it. Just because you can't think of a reason to do something one way doesn't mean someone else won't find it useful or interesting. Or even -- God forbid -- inspirational.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Maybe you should imagine the ways a person could engage in experimentation, alternative means of composition, and inspiration which didn't include sequencing... it goes both ways.
I sequenced most everything I did for a decade and a half. Instead of reading this as some sort of put down, try reading it as jocular encouragement. :)

Okay, everyone... let's get back to loving the Monotron! I'm sorry to have transgressed the unwritten law by suggesting something so HORRIFYINGLY CONTROVERSIAL as playing your music without MIDI. I'll keep my offensive viewpoint on this issue to myself. At least in this thread. :wink:

Solderman: You want to complain, look at these shoes.

RH: You're like that little weasely kid who suddenly pops up over the shoulder of the bold kid and says "yeah!"
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:10 am

Use MIDI and play with your hands. After all, thesis + antithesis = synthesis.:thumbright:
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:12 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Use MIDI and play with your hands. After all, thesis + antithesis = synthesis.:thumbright:
:)

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:22 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:RH: You're like that little weasely kid who suddenly pops up over the shoulder of the bold kid and says "yeah!"
:roll: His observation made me laugh thus deserving of a high five. Whatever AG I remember when you used to be fun. Get your collection of RUSH albums out of the clubhouse and be gone ye you crotchety old fool! :biggrin:

Anywho are these on sale? I see pre-order or something.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:13 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Get your collection of RUSH albums out of the clubhouse and be gone ye you crotchety old fool! :biggrin:
God, if I were to begone, you wouldn't learn anything.
Let's continue to propagate this Rush myth, though. It's fun.

synthbusker
Gear: jx-3p juno-60 juno-106 ms-20 rs-09 solina f225 polysix EPS16 nord lead rack univox sr-95 rhodes mkII cz-230s SK-1 tx-81z tr-727

Post by synthbusker » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:55 am

ok, if the flame war is over I'd like to get my 2 cents in. :roll:

1. the MS-20 that was used in this test was the 'screwless' version, described by many to have a different timbre, just thought I'd throw that out there because no one has brought it up.

2. CV should be an EASY possibility as the Gakken synth is already accepting CV signals and the monotron uses almost the same ribbon type keyboard. actually I think there is a vid floating around on youtube of the monotron using CV already.

3. I have the ms-20 with the screw and will be doing my own a/b when I receive my monotron.

4. the ms-20 sounded better :P

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm

space6oy wrote:they're just 60 bucks, anyone who wouldn't drop twice that for one w/ midi is an idiot.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/monotron
+1. $60 for a battery powered analog synth that sounds anything like an MS anything under any conditions is a steal. This thread is full of stupid.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Or, maybe you could save that $60 and not indulge in any other impulse buys either for a while. Then you will notice that you have a bigger pile of money and you can actually get a real synthesizer.

Just a thought.

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:15 pm

nvbrkr wrote:Or, maybe you could save that $60 and not indulge in any other impulse buys either for a while. Then you will notice that you have a bigger pile of money and you can actually get a real synthesizer.

Just a thought.
Unless you really need to create Star Trek original series style theremin sound effects, then the Monotron is a *must buy*. :lol:

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:20 pm

I like this little toy and i might just get one..My point here is to say that the difference between the OTA and earlier Korg 35 filters sound are negligible.

I do have both versions here.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:11 pm

I'm all for vigorous debate, but the whole here's why you're foolish for wanting (or not wanting) the Monotron thing doesn't really qualify. People need to learn how to express contrary opinions without condescending and proselytizing (at least, I think so ;) .)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop