Ethan Kath (crystal castles) sound chip

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cgren72

Ethan Kath (crystal castles) sound chip

Post by cgren72 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:44 pm

People tell me that Ethan Kath put an atari sound chip in his synth. They must be referring to his korg ms2000 and a pokey chip. Can anyone tell me if this would even be possible? Ive done some research on the pokey chip and if Ethan did put the chip in it thats amasing. I really like crystal castles tunes, but im thinking that i would defanately not have to go to such great lengths to get the same sounds. My moog mg-1 and korg poly 800 aren't really producing those sounds though. (Im about to go on a synth buying spree and would like to get some new sounds) Tell me anything you can. Im thinking that it might just be marketing, because it just sounds like he has some nice squares that are not exclusive to pokey sounds. If it could be done, there would have to be several chips for programming because the pokey has inputs for a few sound pots and is defanately not formatted for a keyboard-type synth. Am i missing something obvious that would allow him to do that?

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Re: Ethan Kath (crystal castles) sound chip

Post by gordwiebe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I think he's been called out for talking c**p more than a few times by the "chiptune" crowd about that statement (this being the crowd that they illegally sampled/stole/bit a bunch of the material on their first album from).
When I saw them live a few years ago, as far as I could tell, most of their sound was coming from a laptop, a microkorg was on stage sitting barely used and an old yamaha psr/pss was being used to make it look like they were actually doing something (which they weren't).

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:18 pm

If you're interested in Atari sounds, you should check out the Synthcart. There are several people that sell them on Ebay, with accompanying 2600s (modified for 1/4" audio out) and the necessary controllers for reasonable prices ($140 or less).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:43 am

The truth is that he ripped off some complete tracks made by other people in the chiptune scene, and then got his flatmate to do interviews for them while they were on tour, and the flatmate made up a whole bunch of s**t, including the one about the atari chip in the microkorg.

Even if you wanted to do it it's not possible.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:04 am

hah! you all sound like you hate cc. if they did steal work, that is really weak. Also, thanks for the info about the pokey synth. i looked for that for like 5 days and couldnt find it.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 am

only the stupid make impossible claims

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:44 pm

For the record, you can't just pull a 'chip' out of a synth and put it in another one. It doesn't work that way. As far as chip tune sounds, any modern VA with an arpeggiator (and some minimal amount of skill) can make those sounds.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:05 pm

tallowwaters wrote:For the record, you can't just pull a 'chip' out of a synth and put it in another one. It doesn't work that way. As far as chip tune sounds, any modern VA with an arpeggiator (and some minimal amount of skill) can make those sounds.

this is very true, and TW is right as usual. I've achieved some similar sounds using the arpeggiator on my Prophet 08, fairly simply really. I'm sure you just add effects where needed for taste.

As far as CC goes - I've read a lot about how much they suck in person - not musically, but personally. It seems they ripped off a LOT of other people's music, plus tried to take on the persona that Atari Teenage Riot had years and years ago of being "cyber punks." I'm not sure thats a good mix really. I do like their music though...thats why I try to not read about them at all any more...or any musician/band for that matter. It seems their public characters or politics or rants can tend to get in the way of their music if you let it, which is so sad.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 am

I know, I like their music as well, as they seem to be one of the few bands that pulls off shitty attitude/punk rock/damaged/electronic sound, but every time I research them, all I see is s**t talk, which is disheartening. I do especially enjoy Alice's heavily processed vocals.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:52 am

i haven't been catching gossip because i don't often bother keeping up unless something's passed on to me, but i saw crystal castles open for boys noize & chromeo in chicago last halloween. had barely listened to them beforehand, but thought it wasn't bad, though their mix kind of sucked. they brought a live drummer w/ an acoustic kit, but all you could hear of him was the kick, which most likely was a triggered sound & not the drum itself. anyway, made them a bit more interesting to me than chromeo, though i simply don't really care for chromeo's pop.

i was there for boys noize. he f**k rocked the place.

edit: sorry for that being kind of a tangent. :thumbright:

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 am

I think the 1-bit synth is the other option for 2600 sounds? Although it's quite crippled by it's one-pot interface. A MIDI one-bit synth would be pretty intense and rocking.. I've often considered building such a beast since it's just an atmega32 and a couple hundred lines of code.

Funny story: It was the first synth I built and I gave it to Busy P at Coachella 2007. He liked it but it prolly broke within days because it's build quality was s**t. I've learnt a lot since then :). I just hope I didn't damage any of the ed banger crew's eardrums.. one of the pots was capable of bringing the output into WAY TOO LOUD territory.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:42 am

th0mas wrote:I just hope I didn't damage any of the ed banger crew's eardrums..
I think you did, judging by the amount of compression they put on eveything.

'WHAT?!! TURN IT UP LOUDER, I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING SINCE I PLAYED WITH THE SYNTH THAT GUY GAVE ME'

chiasticon

Post by chiasticon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 pm

it's bullshit. i opened for them a couple years back and it's just stock ms2000b and microkorg. quite obvious during sound-check. the chiptune sounds are all just played back via ADAT backing track and, from my understanding, are just sampled (legally or otherwise).

anyway, yea... get synthcart, midines and an nes, a gameboy and a midi interface, the new atari pokey euro module coming out or even the plogue chip sounds vst. that'll getcha there.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
th0mas wrote:I just hope I didn't damage any of the ed banger crew's eardrums..
I think you did, judging by the amount of compression they put on eveything.

'WHAT?!! TURN IT UP LOUDER, I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING SINCE I PLAYED WITH THE SYNTH THAT GUY GAVE ME'
:lol: Sorry everyone, 2007 was my fault I guess.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:37 pm

The only thing I remember about the whole chiptune sampling stink that it was an unreleased track on their myspace and lo-bat, the person they sampled, was publicly okay with it. The chiptuners themselves were mad and just gave CC a lot of publicity. They seemed to initially like them but then the collective body of teenagers and man children of that scene raged over the sampling and atari chip thing and nothing of value was lost.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: