Ethan Kath (crystal castles) sound chip

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Ethan Kath (crystal castles) sound chip

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm

I find it's the people that make zero money with their musical instruments that try to label others that do make money with their musical instruments.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:56 am

If that's aimed at me, I'm not labelling people who make money from playing instruments.. I'm labelling people who only set out to make music for the sake of money and popularity.

I'm also not saying its an invalid or *wrong* pursuit.. I'm saying its 'selling out'.. because that's literally what they are doing. You guys seem to be the ones who have decided selling out is 'bad' or 'wrong'.. I'm just trying to define a difference between creative artists (who sometimes get paid) and music industry workers (do it for money)/players(do it for lifestyle).

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:20 am

I have a feeling he actually thinks he's clever. Is it selling out now?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:57 am

i'm trying to make a living off of music, which means i need to make money off of it.

if coca cola comes to me tomorrow and is like "joey, we want to use your song in our commercial and pay you millions of dollars", you bet i would do it

would i tailor music to meet someones expectations or purposely to become famous or fit their commercial? no. but i wouldnt turn down the money that was given to me for what I do

so would that fall under selling out?

and who cares?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:37 am

cartesia wrote: (and rather than a professional musician who tries to make money doing something they enjoy, instead of taking up playing an instrument for the sake of making money)
Odd, I thought it was the professional musicians that play instruments for the sake of making money. As far as I know being a musician and getting paid for it is also a job for some. Or have I misunderstood something?