Alpha Juno 1 Sounds

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
guywithsynthwv

Alpha Juno 1 Sounds

Post by guywithsynthwv » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:31 am

First post, so if this is too technical a question I'll repost in the help file. So here goes:

I' just got an Alpha Juno 1. In the past I've worked mainly with digital synths/romplers and lots of knobs. Maybe it's just the interface that's causing me problems or maybe what I'm trying to get isn't possible.
I'm wondering if it's possible to get aggressive/hard trance-type leads out of this thing. Obviously there isn't a supersaw waveform and I can't stack saws with the DCO here. Are there any tricks using the filters or other parameters that can get me closer to where I'm trying to go?

Thanks a ton for any help!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Alpha Juno 1 Sounds

Post by Alex E » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:04 am

Find the "What the" patch
Adjust pitch and AMP envelopes to taste
????
PROFIT!
soundcloud.com/vectron

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:32 pm

The hoover kinda blows for trance style dance music IMO. But it is possible to create some really heavy leads out of the alpha. I usually play around with the chorus and pwm in order to come up with some of the sounds. The alpha juno is not an "all effects all on all the time" kind of board. So use the chorus and pwm sparingly. I also suggest getting a software editor for it. It makes programming a lot easier than scrolling through the parameters.
If anything, check out some more youtube videos for inspiration.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:22 pm

These clips by Sealed should give you a better idea of the Alpha Juno's potential outside the Hoover and the stupid presets.

I always thought of it as harsh and squelchy acid-type sounds, along with some decent bass and nice strings and organs. Hard trance (whatever that means) doesn't sound likely, as it's one oscillator per voice. You can only get just so much detuning effects with the chorus and pulsewidth-modulation. You can multi-track it though, changing the master tuning just slightly for each take, then layer all takes in unison.

That said, I know Astral Projection used the Alphas quite a bit in their mid 90's psytrance.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

guywithsynthwv

Post by guywithsynthwv » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. I bought it more for the bass sounds/pads. I've never been a big fan of the hoover, as it's just so overdone. Any ideas on cheaper decent multi-oscillator synths? I realize that the JP-8000 is THE answer, but I'm really not wanting to drop $500 when I can get fairly decent tones out of some soft-synths.

guywithsynthwv

Post by guywithsynthwv » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Mr Knesh wrote:The hoover kinda blows for trance style dance music IMO. But it is possible to create some really heavy leads out of the alpha. I usually play around with the chorus and pwm in order to come up with some of the sounds. The alpha juno is not an "all effects all on all the time" kind of board. So use the chorus and pwm sparingly. I also suggest getting a software editor for it. It makes programming a lot easier than scrolling through the parameters.
If anything, check out some more youtube videos for inspiration.

Any editor you'd recommend over another?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:41 pm

I use EZ Alpha. Only drawback is you can't play the notes from Midi while editing, so make sure the keys are within reach, and don't edit while sequencing. If you want to tweak in realtime during a sequence, I'd recommend a PG-300 or some kind of control surface that can send sysex, like the Behringer BCF2000. Sysex can overload the Alpha's Midi buffer and cause zipper noise for things like filter cutoff, though.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:56 am

I use PG300emu I got from the alpha/mks yahoo group and I prefer it to my PG-300. Someone was nice enough to rar it with other goodies for easier download. A description of the contents can be found here. It's just an editor but it does let you play over midi while programming. I used it to come up with a (very 80's)EP patch that ensured the MKS is gonna be with me for a long time. I just have more fun with it than the actual PG or the other editors.

guywithsynthwv

Post by guywithsynthwv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Big help. Thanks to all.

Infected Again

Post by Infected Again » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Software PG300 editor is the way to go for programing

As said the Alpha Juno will never create those big detuned supersaw sounds but imo still very capable for trance styles if you're looking for something a little different.
Sawtooth PWM is one unique feature. For big leads i'd suggest some kind of PWM sound with or without the chorus and then add a load of reverb or delay. In many ways its better if you want to sound a little different to the hundreds of trance guys using vsts or JP8000 :D