Summer NAMM next week...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Re: Summer NAMM next week...

Post by Mush » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:14 pm

aredj wrote:
Santa - please bring me a sampler/sequencer something with the realtime acrobatic prowess of the Electribe, but with the midi/sequencing power of the mpc/commandstation.

Am I crazy? Im sure its not coming up this year, but can't be too far over that there horizon....?
Elektron Octatrack????!!!

http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack

RD9

Post by RD9 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:08 pm

pflosi wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:
RD9 wrote:If Roland has a booth, I'm pitching the 100% analog signal path Jupiter 1/8.
One oscillator, one filter, one LFO, one octave. Unlimited polychain.

Absolute Genius. :clap:
:lol:
No envelopes? inspired by monotron? :lol:
Very perceptive, pflosi. Alas "to be beautiful is to be flawed." --Alan Smithee

AG-- I was going to put a ribbon instead of the keys, but that would have been too easy. :) I want people to be able to shhreeeedd on this badboy.

ninja-- Haha actually there will be a digital camera kit to be sold on the circuit-bending black market. I've strategically allocated space right above the memory bank keys where you can install it.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Mush wrote:
aredj wrote:
Santa - please bring me a sampler/sequencer something with the realtime acrobatic prowess of the Electribe, but with the midi/sequencing power of the mpc/commandstation.

Am I crazy? Im sure its not coming up this year, but can't be too far over that there horizon....?
Elektron Octatrack????!!!

http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack
yeah... but sequencing my other gear? ... to replace the commandstation... ?
I dont think she do this...

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:28 pm

RD9 wrote:
pflosi wrote:
RD9 wrote:If Roland has a booth, I'm pitching the 100% analog signal path Jupiter 1/8.
One oscillator, one filter, one LFO, one octave. Unlimited polychain.

No envelopes? inspired by monotron? :lol:
Very perceptive, pflosi. Alas "to be beautiful is to be flawed." --Alan Smithee

AG-- I was going to put a ribbon instead of the keys, but that would have been too easy. :) I want people to be able to shhreeeedd on this badboy.

ninja-- Haha actually there will be a digital camera kit to be sold on the circuit-bending black market. I've strategically allocated space right above the memory bank keys where you can install it.
:)

to be even more perceptive - I wonder how Crossmodulation from VCO2 to VCO1 is done without a 2nd VCO...?

implant

Post by implant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:37 pm

screw all the new gear just gimme my circuit bent Andromeda already! will go great next to my circuit bent ARP 2600 :D not to mention the crazy mad glitched out acid lines from my circuit bent tb-303 and sweet bent all to h**l 909 churnin' out the CB beat awesomeness 8-) I can't lose!

RD9

Post by RD9 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:27 pm

pflosi wrote: :)

to be even more perceptive - I wonder how Crossmodulation from VCO2 to VCO1 is done without a 2nd VCO...?
Haha good eye! Cross-modulation is a actually a new wireless feature that detects the closest other Jupiter 1/8 and uses that other unit's VCO to remotely modulate yours. That needs to be relabeled "VCO2 - I'm Feeling Lucky."

VCOrhubarb

Post by VCOrhubarb » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Jupiter 1/8
This picture reflects current trends in low/mid-tier synths quite accurately. Analogue something to attract attention, with knobs and a rudimentary keyboard just in case somebody hasn't completely forgotten how to play. Not very functional but who cares when you have the unlimited polychain option :lol: These products don't make much sense to me.

In 1980's the low/mid-range synths were much more exciting and FUNCTIONAL.

I wish there were more modern affordable non-workstation sample based synths (aka romplers). I really enjoy creating new sounds from ROM samples but don't want to pay for the workstation part in the current machines.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:10 pm

VCOrhubarb wrote:I wish there were more modern affordable non-workstation sample based synths (aka romplers). I really enjoy creating new sounds from ROM samples but don't want to pay for the workstation part in the current machines.
What if Korg put the HD1 sample-based engine from the Oasys into a 2U rack and sold it for $2K? Would there be a market for that?

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:12 pm

aredj wrote:Im not going to complain, but keep quietly hoping for the one thing thats rooted in reality me thinks.
(uh oh... im breaking the joke chain here with a real letter to santa...)

Im still looking/waiting for someone to make the thing that was supposed to be the linndrum2 - I dont even care if it is the linndrum.

I hear you, and would kick my great aunt in the nuts for such a thing. Octatrack could turn out to be this thing, maybe? It's going to cost as much as a car, though.

nSCOURGE
Gear: JV1080, EMU 1820, Midisport 8x8, Virus PoCo, V-station.

Post by nSCOURGE » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:41 pm

I would seriously like to see a virtual JV/XV(or even a JD) from Roland that includes the entire SR-JV-80 ROM set, with an updated effects section(as well as a 'vintage' algorithm option).

They could sell that for $299 and it would still go like hot-cakes.

The allure of this is that these all have a very unique architecture as far a ROMplers go, with an esteemed legacy of trademark sounds from the popular recordings of the day.

And since these are *digital* instruments(where the migration process between platforms is trivial), Roland would be able to market them with greater authenticity than in the case of vintage analog(which would likely be inferior to freebies such as TAL-UNO-62, and thus poorly received).

Korg did it with the Wave Station and M1.

So, how much longer is Roland going to sleep on this opportunity to take a huge bite out of the resale market for vintage ROMplers?

I would also *love* to see Novation continue development of the V-station, or release a Supernova VST(they already released the effects section/Filter as a VST).

Does this belong in the software forum?

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:42 pm

No... I think you do though... :p

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 am

aredj wrote:

How about korg please correct the knob jitters on the current emx/esx models.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

aredj
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:03 am

that would help a couple things....
That s**t f**k with me during a live set.... :evil:

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:44 am

Mush wrote:Elektron Octatrack????!!!
I'm 50/50 on this. Could be interesting.

Would really prefer 16 midi channels to be the core of my live rig, use 8 internal, 8 external for hardware synths.

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:30 am

I'm still waiting for the Yamaha AN2x!!

A keyboard version of the AN200 and DX200 perhaps? But really, do we need anything new?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059