Ensoniq FIZMO: 3 improvisations

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Ensoniq FIZMO: 3 improvisations

Post by balma » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Just a different approach to the FIZMO....

These are improvisations of user patches, just trying to demostrated its sound range on a short time. I have already some long tracks with its sound, not improvisations but sequenced, I'll posted on this very thread.

I'm working hard to get the best of this great synth, it goes from glassy-belly pads to rough and distorted sounds. I love it everyday more and more, and I'm starting to figure out a good implementation inside my setup
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Ensoniq FIZMO: 3 improvisations

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:05 pm

i've been curious as to what exactly you do with that balma. can we expect to see jungle and p**n samples included? ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Of course. p**n material is among my favorite sampling sources ever. I browse the web everyday, have more than 200 GB of p**n of all kinds with no background music.

Is a hard work and somebody must do it.

woman vocalizations when mating, are very interesting, when real and no fake, they have a crescendos, pauses change of tonalities and then, the peak of orgasm.

However they are not related with the Fizmo stuff posted here. There are no fizmo demos with those kind of sounds, Fizmo is not limitated to only bubbly LFO patches that most of the musicians have heard.

It can make very huge, magnificent patches, and it is a great leads source. Also, when come to basses, is again a great synth, I even love it more than my MICRO Q in the bass area.

But I still a newbie on it. Any good synth, you must invest years of honest work, sweat and tears to really master it. I just have 5 months using the FIZMO.

These are demostrative patches of its sound, with no musical or artistical significance obviously.

Implementations of the Fizmo inside modern dance music will come very very soon....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 am

excelent! if i ever get the chance i want to own a fizmo. love the demos. i've had my radias since 2006 and i'm still discovering new ways to use it and new features and what not. it takes time but really knowing your synth is infinitly rewarding
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Nice stuff

I recently bought a Fizmo but haven't had the time to dig in yet so it's nice to hear someone elses approach

Post some long tracks too if you can, please.

makeb4break
Gear: microwave XTk * fizmo * matrix-1000 * SH-09 * S-550 * S-330 * CR-5000 * R-8 * MC-505 * 1897 pump organ - no plugs!
Band: Band Ltd

Post by makeb4break » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:02 pm

fizmo is the bomb. i'm ditching my XTk and i'm not thinking about buying anymore synths .. honestly :mrgreen:

well, maybe a fizmo backup and a fizmo rack :lol:

cool stuff balma. i can spend hours just bubbling away on this gem ..

here's a fizmo track i made. no other synths 'cept some CR-5000 drums

still missing the p**n samples though :geek:

http://makeb4break.com/

(it's called 'fizmosis" ..)
Last edited by makeb4break on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers,

ole frost berry

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Very very nice. :)
It's nice to hear someone dive into the depth of this great synth instead of the standard arpeggiated demos that are frequently used.
Great demo balma, thanks.

edit:
makeb, we must have posted at the same time because I didn't see your comment until after I hit submit.
Quite unusual use of the Fizmo but still quite nice, thank you.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 pm

seamonkey wrote:Very very nice. :)
It's nice to hear someone dive into the depth of this great synth instead of the standard arpeggiated demos that are frequently used.
Great demo balma, thanks.

edit:
makeb, we must have posted at the same time because I didn't see your comment until after I hit submit.
Quite unusual use of the Fizmo but still quite nice, thank you.

Thanks guys !
I don't even know why I posted this on General forum, it was for the Listening Lounge my apologies....

Posting something sequenced with an external controller, obviously will sound better and will get more accurate timing and 100 times better, but the intention was to show some different sounds than the bubbly ones that come as presets. These are improvisations. Turned on the synth, chose a user patch, and played it.

I HATE FIZMO FACTORY PRESETS.

I could create a sequence of a long patch, then sampling it, and then, trigger it while layering another Fizmo patch and then, adding more instruments in order to obtain a song structure, but that was not my goal on the post.

Please notice that these are not artistical oriented, just demostrative. My goal is to show an unknown aspect of the FIZMO. Fizmo has a wide range of sound. I have read so much negative comments about its sound, like: "too digital", thin, only bubbles, nothing harmonic, hard to fit into a mix, useless, etc... etc...

IMO this is a great synth for filmscoring, ambient, and other applications pending to discover.

I already hooked the FIZMO to a MIDI chain with the command station as the master synth, transmiting notes and knob tweaks to the Fizmo, transmiting notes to the Waldorf MICRO Q, and transmiting tempo to the Electribe ESX1.

This chain will allow me to compose music in a very comfortable way and with a wide range of sounds, from a transwave, a virtual analog, a sampler and a rompler, working all together as a single unit.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:26 am

Balma, did you use any external effects ?
Great demo, thank you.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:04 pm

No sir, those are just one preset from the Fizmo.
However I use the Line In of my synths a lot.
I'm barely starting to experiment with Fizmo's line in and I'm quite satisfied with some results. It's effect section really kicks a*s, specially the distortion effects..

philip

Post by philip » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 pm

would be fantastic if it was a little low-fi sounding, it's too crystal and digi to my taste

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Great demos, Balma. Most of the demos of the Fizmo I've heard in the past were just those sort of "bubbly LFO" you mention, and I was underwhelmed, it seemed like nothing more than things you could do by messing around in Maelstrom in Reason.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:10 pm

philip wrote:would be fantastic if it was a little low-fi sounding, it's too crystal and digi to my taste
I wonder if the Microwave series is better for that kind of thing? I've never heard anything smooth like this in demos of the Microwaves. (I've never used either, so this is an open-ended question for Microwave and Fizmo owners).

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:34 am

I find the Fizmo great. It's so unique and has lot of character. If you wanted to un-digi it, you can always run it through some preamp or compressor (hardware) or some lofi stompbox if that's what you want. I think it is unique in that it is the one synth I have that I heard this bubbly plastic balloon stuff come out of. I don't know how to describe it better than saying it's like juicy blueberries and raspberries wrapped in saran wrap trying to come out. So I use mine in this context and it's delicious for bubbly plasticy stuff, but it can definitely do good spacey sci fi stuff to the T.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

If you refer to a rusty or noisy or low bitrate patches, it is very capable. It has a lot of distortions, I mean you could fill the 64 memory locations with distortions only. But also yes, the transwaves it has, are very glassy some of them: square or sines, or oboes. However, they are very shapable and can adopt multiple forms when combined.