playstation startup screen: what synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: playstation startup screen: what synth?

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 pm

colmon wrote:interestingly, somebody recreated the boot sound with a juno 60 and cz-3000. i think they did a pretty good job -- except it misses the bells and harmonic drone at the end ie. the best the part!

for some reason none of the people who uploaded the original ps1 boot screen and music seem to have any concept of audio clipping in recording. they're all loud as h**l and sound like c**p. there must be an hq rip floating about somewhere
he's a user on here, his username on here is bendragon.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:01 pm

for some reason none of the people who uploaded the original ps1 boot screen and music seem to have any concept of audio clipping in recording. they're all loud as h**l and sound like c**p. there must be an hq rip floating about somewhere
It's a common problem with youtube users.. even ones with $10000 studios, they can't figure out how to record a line signal rather than a shitty camera mic, and they can't figure out how to not clip a signal.. go figure!

bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Post by bendragon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:12 pm

The PS1 does have an internal general-midi wavetable, same with the N64. They are not synths, but your standard everyday romplers as part of the operating software. It does, however, have something like 10 PCM sound channels. Many games did choose to use Audio CD data instead such as Ridge racer (random fact, the entire original Ridge Racer game is only 2MB in size and once loaded runs completely from the PS1's system memory!) however those sounds from the original PS1 BIOS are indeed samples stored in the BIOS ROM image. The big indication that are samples is when you have an old disk that is badly scratched up - when a disk is badly scratched it takes longer to load and you can hear the loop points in the individual samples, especially the poly-pad. They would have been recorded from synthesizers, then stored as an 8-bit PCM waveform in the ROM.

I'm a wee bit of a nerd :B

As for that PS1 boot sound I made, here is a better version:
http://sheezyart.com/art/view/2187228/ (dead account but only copy on the net)
Bells are tweaked and the droning harmonics at the end are more noticeable. :) And it was a 106, not a 60.
:)

EDIT: My mistake, the PS1 has 24 ADPCM channels at 44.1KHz each with 512KB of dedicated audio memory.

colmon

Post by colmon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:17 pm

^^^now that's what i call a post!

fascinating info about the sample loop points. gonna try that with a scratched up disc tonight

RD9

Post by RD9 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:53 pm

Hey colmon, remember kohina.com from years ago? Amazingly the website is still up.

www.kohina.com

Click on 'listen in browser'.

bassclef94

Post by bassclef94 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:11 pm

GUYS!!

It's a Roland D-50. :) At least the beginning filter sweep is... It's a factory preset called Spacious Sweep. Check it out!

About 6:10 is where it kicks in.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 am

Good thing you found out 6 years later :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:59 pm

What's odd is I was thinking of this last week, not knowing this thread existed! D50 sounds about right.

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:04 am

Excellent find! Another example here -- there's a clear similarity in the decay portion but the resonant sweep is slightly less pronounced in the PS1 start-up (perhaps due to low sample resolution).

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:07 am

So this recent revive caused to me to do some further research about the PlayStation startup sound ... it was designed by Takashi Fujisawa, one of the founders of SCE. He also designed the sounds for the generative music game Depth (aka Fluid in PAL territories) so if anybody can recognize the synths used here we might get closer to solving this mystery.

Here's Depth:

Some of the drum samples are clearly Roland derived, which doesn't exactly narrow it down, but I was looking at preset lists for JV-1080/JV-90/JD-800 (all of which are roughly contemporaneous w the PlayStation) and noticed all have a similar resonant sweep preset that resembles the D-50 sound posted above ... if anybody owns these synths and could test the presets "22 Classic Sweeper" (JD-800) and "C-101 5th Sweep" (JV-1080) and report back I would be greatly appreciative.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:41 am

This is "5th Sweep" from the XV-5080 (which includes all the 1080 and 2080 presets, so it should be the same patch).

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks Desmond! Is this your own example? Would you mind trying some single notes in the bass register, specifically a G1 and C1?

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:45 pm

colmon wrote:Thanks Desmond! Is this your own example? Would you mind trying some single notes in the bass register, specifically a G1 and C1?
Sure, gimme a few minutes...

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:53 pm

C1 x2, G1 x2, and then repeats an octave down.

All notes are held for the full duration - the patch doesn't sustain, but tails off like you hear in the example.

I don't think it's the patch you are looking for, I suspect a D50 is more likely...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:59 pm

That is waaaaay off from the PS1 boot sound.