Silence your chirpy Novation Nova

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Silence your chirpy Novation Nova

Post by cartesia » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:16 am

OK so for some reason the engineers that built this synth decided to hardwire in a beep everytime you press a button.. s**t is crazy annoying and made it impossible for me to work at night (which is really the only time I can do music stuff)

I dont recommend doing this unless you know how to carefully open/enter the insides of an electronic device.. you don't need any advanced knowledge, but you dont want to pointlessly destroy something.. Chances are if you dont know what to do, you know someone who knows enough to do it for you though.

Anyway.. Simply open up the nova, towards the top-middle seciton of circuits you will find a black circular disk shaped component.. Peel the sticker off it (if it hasn't fallen off on its own) to reveal a little hole in the top of the disk..

This disk is the chirper... Now Some people might be inclined to remove it, but I'm lazy and didn't want to destroy something beautiful..

All you need is a toothpick and some blu-tac. Start stuffing the blutac in.. I recommend not using the sharp end and not pushing too hard on the bottom, to avoid damaging the component (even though you dont need it to work).

stuff it in tight. Keep stuffing it in until the entire hollow section of the disk is filled with firmly packed in blu-tac..

Put the sticker back on if you like... Now you have a silenced Nova! :D
What you've effectively done is added a shock absorber to a moving part.. The electrics of the circuit are unaffected - the same amount of power is still put into moving the chirper to make the beep, but it just has to push up against all that rubbery blutac instead of air.

Rusty O'Hara

Re: Silence your chirpy Novation Nova

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:02 am

My SNII Rack has an option to turn those little beeps off, so I thought you were tripping and there was a simple answer or option... then I read the SNII OSv2 ammendum that says:

A new Global Menu parameter - Button Clicks allows the clicks generated by the SuperNova II buttons to be turned on or off. Note that this parameter is only available on the SuperNova II rack.

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:24 am

ha! Thanks! I might try that - so simple!
The chirp "feature" is probably the worst idea I've ever come across in a synthesizer.
When I first got my Nova I assumed that there was a way to disable it in the menus (no luck of course). I then found a place in Norway (I think?) that had a fix for the chirp but it involved soldering/capacitors/magic and other things beyond my expertise.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:00 am

Tee Hee, I just sold mine! Realised I wasn't using it much, and I needed the space (and the cash for a new mixer)
Stephen(2)