What's your "must have" synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: What's your "must have" synth?

Post by balma » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:33 pm

An EMU COMMAND STATION with 4 ROMS installed. Untouchable...

I could get rid of all my synths, except the 4roms command station. I could go walking to the North Pole with it.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Syn303 wrote:No 'must have' synth for me. I simply see a synth as a tool for music creation, not an object of desire or lust. Those that dream of synths while sleeping is not normal.
If you dont dream about music, why be a musician ?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:33 pm

If you are poor the only thing that you can do is to dream about synths. Nothing weird about it
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:42 pm

moremagic wrote:If you dont dream about music, why be a musician ?
The subject thread is not about 'dreaming about music'

Music is an imaginative/creative process, if it was a dreaming process, musicians would be getting out of their beds in the middle of the night to record, and when they had finished they would go back to bed and sleep.

Anyway this is going off Topic, keep dreaming about what synth for you is a must have. I have my must have synths, no more, no less.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:47 pm

I must have a brand new ARP 2600. My life will be complete when they bring this one back and even if I'm too old to have the momentum of synth explorations that I had in my youth, I will get up off of my death bed and smoke one up and glorify the Gods of Analogue with one final composition. I mean it.

:D

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:20 pm

besides the modular the Sunsyn kicks the hardest out of the gate, and can sound achingly beautiful (i mean like CS-80 beautiful).
It's a buggy synth without OS 2.0 though. But what a sound!

I can cover 95% of vintage analog synth sounds w/ just the 2600 and Jupiter-8

older 'players' would likely most be impressed by a CS-80.

but this is not 1982, so in a modern environment the all-around flexibility/sound winner is: A6 Andromeda
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 pm

There are not synths but features, that you MUST have, otherwise you cannot compose music.

I do not use computers, so it's a must for me, to have a decent hardware sequencer. Without hardware sequencing I could quit using synths.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:51 pm

I would like to say my "must have" would either be a Prophet 5 or CS-80, or the Andromeda; but I'm only guessing. I've never owned any of them or even played with them.
From the synths I have owned, I think I would have a to say my Supernova II Pro X or my Virus TI2....They can pretty much do everything that I need.

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:01 pm

1. What synth/keyboard is your all-time favorite and why?

I'll have to go with one I've owned, I'm not sure how I could choose something exotic I've never even seen 'in the flesh'! So I'd pick the humble Alpha Juno 1, while it's not the best one I own, It's served me so well for so long.

2. If you could ONLY have ONE synth/keyboard, what would it be?

Again, I'm going to be practical and go with one I've used. Something like a Jupiter 8 would be great, but I'm not sure about it as an only synth. So I'll go with the virus ti, because of the wide range of sounds it's capable of. I'm not saying that a JP8 doesn't have a wide range of sounds, but it doesn't do digital!

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Its a real toss-up between my Prophet '08, Motif 8, and Indigo 2. All 3 serve different purposes, but I rely on all three very heavily these days.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:37 pm

i have unfortunately dreamt about mastering audio...several times...very very boring dreams.

right now i want to say my arp odyssey. it has this great sound where you get some white noise and S&H modulation, and it sounds like a frothy drink of something. i don't drink coffe, but if i did i would be driven to having a cup after hearing that patch. and the super low tones are not so much tones as they are smacking bubbly frothy noises.
vin14 wrote:2. If you could ONLY have ONE synth/keyboard, what would it be?
well for a long time all i had was a korg radias, and it did just fine, so i'm inclined to pick that, but i've already done that, so i'll have to pick a different one. i could do the same thing with the virus TI, so that's no fun. plus though i like programming it, it doesn't really "wow" me as much as i wished it did. it's a toss up between an sh-101, tr-727, and jx-8p. the odyssey's too predictable being that it was used for question 1, but i could substitute it in for the 101 and not loose a step. i think the safe bet to make all sounds, drums chords, leads, pads, effects - 101. BUT the challange would be 727, so i'm going to go with that, especially if i have some ability to record and multi track and get into the starchime with some destructive sample editing.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 pm

[quote="Syn303"]if it was a dreaming process, musicians would be getting out of their beds in the middle of the night to record, and when they had finished they would go back to bed and sleep.
/quote]

I do this frequently, thought I rarely get back to sleep. As a matter of fact, if I wake up with an idea, there's no sleeping until I get it out. That said, I never dream about instruments, but there is always sound/music/colors/words in my dreams.

As far as what synth I need - whatever you give me. They all make relatively similar sounds, my brain and hands being the common factor for having any of them make any sound. I suppose something deeper with lots of menus would keep my attention longer, while something with 20 one duty per function knobs when put me asleep after I've found the 10 sounds it's useful for making.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Yamaha CS-80
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:47 am

Andromeda A6: Sound, look and knobbage. I find it to be inspirational. Sometimes I just turn it and make sounds with no intentions of making anything musical. The JD 800 is a close second for its ability to make new sounds so quickly. I am very surprised at some of the sounds that come out of this machine.

2. If you could ONLY have ONE synth/keyboard, what would it be?
Roland Juno G. It has the ability to record vocals and plenty of usable sounds out the gate.
A sequencer so it's my song palette. A huge variety of drum sounds...so I can make lots of different styles of music.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

orbit400

Post by orbit400 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:16 am

WOW! All of you have told me about some of your STRONG feelings and IMPORTANT input! I GENUINELY appreciate it! Some of you have made me think of things I never thought of in my 24 years of studio ownership! I do notice that there seems to be very little concensus about the hardware but PLEASE KEEP GOING! Every comment helps with me with adding/subtracting from the 24 year old studio!

Again, the current list is at:
http://studio400.webs.com/studioequipment.htm