What's your "must have" synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Re: What's your "must have" synth?

Post by Old Iron Giant » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:41 am

I could live without everything in my collection, keep my Emu-XL7 and be happy.
Last edited by Old Iron Giant on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:48 am

spookyman wrote:Yamaha CS-80
the cs-80 is mo'bidly obeatz. yo.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:53 am

Moog Voyager. period.

I had an AE Voyager and had to sell it. One of the worst days, I felt deflated, and my musical drive suffered. I had to have a Voyager, and bought an EB just last year. This one won't be sold again.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 am

That's the way I feel towards my Voyager. To be honest, sometimes I got bored of its "modern analog" sound and have considered trading it. But if that thing next to me wasn't there I wouldn't know anymore what to use instead. It has presets when I need them, knob per all functions that are typically used (plus some menu stuff for tweaking), more versatile than some even people realize and the sound is close enough to a Minimoog. It provides me with the basic, organic-sounding drones and other stuff for my experimental needs and[/i] it's also such a no-brainer synth for basses and leads for the late night retro funk / synthpop ditties.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:48 pm

If I knew the answer to this question, I could easily have sold half the synths in my signature (could do with the cash), but can't seem to seperate them. Each has it's place.. it's like choosing between your children. :mrgreen:

edit> apart from my 'custom rackmount SY85' (with sliders NOT a tg500) I only kept/butchered that cos they are impossible to sell for decent money. :lol:

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Pro5 wrote:'custom rackmount SY85' (with sliders NOT a tg500)
I'm a fan of the series, mind to put some picture of it? ;)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Syn303 wrote:Those that dream of synths while sleeping is not normal.
I actually had a dream last night about playing bass on a gig and I can clearly remember the bass gear I was using.

I have had many dreams in the past about being in music stores that had very fantastical instruments, like guitars with necks that would be impossible to play...yet I was able to play them.

I've also had dreams about being in record stores finding rare and unusual records including some that don't even exist.
1. What synth/keyboard is your all-time favorite and why?
2. If you could ONLY have ONE synth/keyboard, what would it be?
1. ESQ-1
It was the first synth I saw that could play entire songs by itself. Suddenly I understood what sequencing and MIDI could do. It has the best menu based programming interface ever. I eventually bought an SQ-80.

2. Motif ES (or XS)
I love how it is self contained...synth, sampler, FX processing, sequencer, mixer all in one box. The only feature the XS has that I wish my ES had is the ability to record 44.1/16 audio output straight to a USB flash drive...no need for any outboard recorder!!! I also love how the deeper I go into the machine the more useful features I have discovered. The best example is when I discovered that I could operate Ableton Live from the Motif with the same controls used to operate the onboard sequencer. What other synth does that?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 am

1. Korg microKORG, gateway into VA synths, learned a loit about synth archetecture, I can dial in a lot of sounds I like and use regularly as well as spend hours experimenting on it...

2. Access Virus [Preferably a ti2], way too many choices in patches, lots of expression and expandability, HYBRID studio optimized with total integration, and finally, HYPERSAWS *seizures*
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:17 pm

My desert island synth is the andromeda. It sounds great and is complex enough to fulfill my experimental synthesis needs.

Theoretically, I'd prefer a considerably big moog modular system with same specs as the A6 :lol:

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:34 pm

1. What synth/keyboard is your all-time favorite and why?
2. If you could ONLY have ONE synth/keyboard, what would it be?
1. Nord G2 Engine. It does everything/anything.
2. Expanded G2 Engine. It does everything/anything more.

I suppose if I'm not allowed to have MIDI controllers, I'd make those keyboards, but I prefer creating my own control banks, so the engine is better for me.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:58 am

a must-have (as in i'd have to replace them in any way i know of, if they'd been stolen):

andromeda
jupiter 8

for many reasons. they're powerful, inspiring to me, complement each other perfectly. a6 is deep, complex, i use it for pads/fx and leads mostly. jp8 is just beautiful and liquid sounding at all times. vintage analogueness at its best. i use it for sequences, bass, leads, arpeggiators, pwm stuff.

i'd also like to list minimoog here. yet perhaps it's not as irreplacable as the first two. hard pressed, i could make do with any good discrete mono or simple modular, with ladder filter, of vintage origin, capable of the same punchy bass, and smooooth leads. like motm, macbeth or my elektor formant, for example.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

solitud
Gear: Ghosts and Ghouls

Post by solitud » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:33 am

My Choice is the DSI Polyevolver. Great mixture of analog and oldschool digital synthesis. Nearly unpredictable sound results and that keeps this thing so interesting.

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:58 pm

orbit400 wrote:1. What synth/keyboard is your all-time favorite and why?
Sequential Prophet VS - I just love the sound :)
orbit400 wrote:2. If you could ONLY have ONE synth/keyboard, what would it be?
Nord Modular keyboard (expanded) - along with the g2 the most versatile synth I've ever owned, if I had to only have one I'd go for this because it is small enough to go anywhere :)
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:07 pm

if i could only have one synth i guess i'd pick something like the nord modular for the endless options you have with it.
plus it sounds very good.

i just bougth the micro modular 2 days ago and i am very impressed and pleased .

i would really miss having a hands on , fixed architecture old school analog though .

EarthmanVIII

Post by EarthmanVIII » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I think, Yamaha DX7 is a must have synth for me. I wish there were some solid modern keyboard FM options because I'm not that much into having a 30 years old museum synth, although it is great for what it is. I need it for my chromatic percussion sounds. I can't afford a £10000 marimba and the DX7 does a very good job at emulating the sound for the price that is 100 times cheaper :shock: .