What's your "must have" synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Virgule

Re: What's your "must have" synth?

Post by Virgule » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:06 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

gab01

Post by gab01 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:28 pm

griffin avid wrote:2. If you could ONLY have ONE synth/keyboard, what would it be?
Roland Juno G. It has the ability to record vocals and plenty of usable sounds out the gate.
A sequencer so it's my song palette. A huge variety of drum sounds...so I can make lots of different styles of music.
Me too and for the same reasons. I have plenty of VA synths but choosing one of those limits my range of compositions compared to the juno-g's rom. I've had it for almost four years now and its not going anywhere soon.

EarthmanVIII

Post by EarthmanVIII » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm

You should definately look into the SY77/99.
These synths gave me an idea that Yamaha should implement the FM engine from FS1r in their next generation Motif, however, not in the form of a plugin card with crippled editing. Instead they should utilise the big touchscreen that will surely be there to make the most of the UI and give us the fully programmable FM section.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote: Motif ES (or XS)
I love how it is self contained...synth, sampler, FX processing, sequencer, mixer all in one box. The only feature the XS has that I wish my ES had is the ability to record 44.1/16 audio output straight to a USB flash drive...no need for any outboard recorder!!! I also love how the deeper I go into the machine the more useful features I have discovered. The best example is when I discovered that I could operate Ableton Live from the Motif with the same controls used to operate the onboard sequencer. What other synth does that?
I have the MO8, which is basically like a stripped down version of the Motif ES. I will have to say that I think my MO8 is pretty awesome. I can only imagine how cool the Motif ES actually is.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:11 pm

EarthmanVIII wrote:
These synths gave me an idea that Yamaha should implement the FM engine from FS1r in their next generation Motif, however, not in the form of a plugin card with crippled editing. Instead they should utilise the big touchscreen that will surely be there to make the most of the UI and give us the fully programmable FM section.
Amen.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:47 pm

I'd definately go for a G2. and I might just do that next year :)

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:43 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
EarthmanVIII wrote:
Amen.
+ 1, pretty hot idea. I wouldn't buy one, because haz G2, but yeah, it's a hot idea.

cram1960

Post by cram1960 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:07 am

One synth?

Andromeda...16 part multitimbral analog. done.
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:38 am

"What's your "must have" synth?"
That would depend from day to day. Now It would be a Waldorf Wave. Another day & often it would be A Prophet 5 rev 2, or an Elka Synthex or a well maintained CS80 .
Of my own synths , it would be my Prophet VS, but my Emu UltraProteus comes a close second,or my Microwave ~XT .actually I would find it very hard to choose only one from my own synths. I go for different pallettes of sound depending on the mood of the day. You know the dilemmas.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Well since I have limited space I'm limited to maybe just a couple of synths unless I can set up a rack... but I prefer synths with keys anyway. At the moment I guess my AN1x has the most synth for the space available, so I'd choose that... I don't have a wad of cash to get something else, and I'm pretty limited with software too - linux guy, ya see :)
Stephen(2)

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Having thought a bit more, and seeing some votes for it... the AN1X really is a cool/versatile synth in a compact space. I know as I deliberate over which synth to sell next that it's not going to be the AN1x (I use it too much and it can do lots of nice sounds), nor the SY77 (too many posibilities as yet unexplored), JX-3P (love the tone, but I'm strange like that).... so do I sell polysix, jx-8p, D-50? all of them? 2 of them? I guess that's for another thread another time (I guess if pushed I'd sell the 8p and D50 combined before the polysix due to it's character)

aux
Gear: Korg PolySix
Korg MS10
Moog Rogue
Roland JX-3P/PG-200
Teisco 60F
Sequential Circuits DrumTraks
Yamaha DX11
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazzbass

Post by aux » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:55 pm

Something analog, polyphonic and big sounding, Oberheim OB-8/12/X.
-------

VSE member CfNorENa wrote on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 am:

"I've come to the somewhat depressing conclusion that there is a very close correlation between bigness of sound and cost."

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:53 am

Yamaha TG77 (with an external reverb/delay)
In all these years, I don't think very many people have even scratched the surface of what this can do
and the sound quality is excellent, too

nhand42

Post by nhand42 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:56 am

For me it's the Yamaha DX7. It's the one I keep coming back to and using. Other synths have more features, better sound, better keyboards, cooler looks... but something about the DX7 just makes me want to use it.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:07 pm

portland wrote:Yamaha TG77 (with an external reverb/delay)
In all these years, I don't think very many people have even scratched the surface of what this can do
and the sound quality is excellent, too

TG/SY77 does seem to keep offering new suprises all the time. A very deep synth. And yeah is sits in the mix beautifully - a classy, clean, slightly under-stated sound that belies it's power. It can of course blow your head off (in a digital fashion) and sound analog-ish too. Good all rounder, good for leads, good for FM bass, great for pads/atmospheres/effects. So OK from my lot of synths I guess it would have to be that as my #1 keeper then #2 an1x (as they are just more flexible and mix easier than my analogs as much as I love the tone of the 3P and Polysix) - also the an/sy combo go great together (have written loads of music with these 2 alone on the track)