If software synths had occured BEFORE hardware synths ...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Re: If software synths had occured BEFORE hardware synths ..

Post by moremagic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:30 am

There were software synths around the time of the earliest modulars. John Chowning was inventing FM synthesis in the late 60s with MUSIC on a PDP computer, though I forget which model. Clearly there would have been hardware synts, but they would have probably all been much closer to the Fairlight or something

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:02 am

I think if software synths came before hardware (and analog) then it would be people saying 'oooo, analog has much more weight in a mix and pops out more' and at the same time they'd say 'but software overall still has more possibilities and can be limitless'. I think this topic is an interesting one, but I think it would stand the same way (or similar) to how it is now, but we would just be calling them software snobs instead of hardware snobs lol.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:08 pm

is this a form follows function / function follows form problem, or an egg / chicken problem? :lol:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:02 pm

I think it's a high technology follows low technology problem.

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:03 pm

stikygum wrote:I think if software synths came before hardware (and analog) then it would be people saying 'oooo, analog has much more weight in a mix and pops out more' and at the same time they'd say 'but software overall still has more possibilities and can be limitless'.
Don't people do that already, given that analogue hw came before digital hw and software?
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:51 pm

This thread is definitely very interesting. If software did come first...and some significant time passed before any hardware synths came on to the market...what would we really be saying about them? It is really hard to know. Perhaps we would have all grown accustomed to the "software" sound. Maybe that would have been the "sound" of choice. Maybe we would have thought they sounded superior to hardware because we had grown up listening to software. People may have said things like..."Oh, that analog synth is pretty cool, but it is just not as good as a
softsynth." As funny as that sounds to me (and probably many of you), it would be weird/interesting/odd if that was they way we thought.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:05 pm

krzeppa wrote:People may have said things like..."Oh, that analog synth is pretty cool, but it is just not as good as a
softsynth." As funny as that sounds to me (and probably many of you), it would be weird/interesting/odd if that was they way we thought.
Wait 10 years...
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:
krzeppa wrote:People may have said things like..."Oh, that analog synth is pretty cool, but it is just not as good as a
Wait 10 years...

:lol: Never thought of that! :lol:

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Noooooo....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Yatmandu
Gear: reverse

Post by Yatmandu » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Yes, in that world we'd be ruled by chimps, orangutans, and gorillas.....and everyone would have minimoogs, but we'd all be salivating for a rare copy of the Arturia VST!

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:18 am

Well considering electronic music began in about 1919 with the Theremin (a type of synth) and there were no computers then but an abacus, it simply isn't possible.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:48 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Well considering electronic music began in about 1919 with the Theremin (a type of synth) and there were no computers then but an abacus, it simply isn't possible.
There are an irritating variety of definitions of the term "synth," but I really don't think the Theremin fits most of them. However, your argument has even more merit than the point you were making if you switch to the Telharmonium, which predates the Theremin by a number of years, and was a "synthesizer" in a number of definitions.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:53 am

KBD_TRACKER wrote:do you think hardware synths would have occured ?
meaning, do you think hardware like moogs, arps, junos, etc. would have been born ???
in fact still supposing that software synths had come first, do you think that being confronted latter to such hardware as a moog or virus, etc. YOU would have been interested ?
I think I would be playing with hardware synths most of the time ´cause I´d be too lazy to start up the PC to run VSTs and debug them. And this forum would probably be filled with "Why oh why can´t Steinberg reissue Neon" threads. :D
Herrare umanum est.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:Well considering electronic music began in about 1919 with the Theremin (a type of synth) and there were no computers then but an abacus, it simply isn't possible.
There are an irritating variety of definitions of the term "synth," but I really don't think the Theremin fits most of them. However, your argument has even more merit than the point you were making if you switch to the Telharmonium, which predates the Theremin by a number of years, and was a "synthesizer" in a number of definitions.
Personally, I totally disagree. If you look at how the Theremin works and compare that to early analogues you'll note that basic premise is similar, the main developements being filters adsr etc and of course the keyboard controller.

However, I understand where you're coming from and I respect that as a possible alternative.

This thread, is silly anyway. How can one say that a software emulation could ever be possible without hardware to use as a template for the program is beyond my logic capability.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Yeah, it's almost like asking "what if ARP had occurred before MOOG?"

No, wait. It really isn't. I have nothing relevant to contribute to this thread.