2 Pole Poll Round 2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What is your favorite 2 pole, -12dB/oct. analog filter?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:44 pm

POLIVOKS!!!
17%
FutureRetro XS
21%
Moog LP/Voyager (in 2 pole mode)
8%
Steiner Parker Synthacon
13%
Yamaha CS15m, CS20m, CS40m
8%
EDP Wasp, Gnat
8%
EML synths (101, 500, 200, etc.)
8%
Dave Smith synths (Evolvers, Prophet '08, etc.)
8%
Novation Bass Station
No votes
OTHER (Please list your choice in a reply to the thread.)
8%

Total votes: 24

atomfahrzeug
Gear: arp
korg
roland
tandberg
Band: 13 kHz

2 Pole Poll Round 2

Post by atomfahrzeug » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Since the last poll was far from comprehensive, I am instituting another round of competition. This time, I will leave an "other" category just in case your favorite 2 pole analog filter is not available on the list. Before listing an other, please note that Round One of this poll included at least 10-12 other synths. I will disregard votes for synths that were included on Round One.

Please consult the first round at <http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=56965> before making an "other" choice.

This time, I am listing analog synths that are either new, more obscure or on the fringe, or the ones that I simply forgot last round.

After the results for this are in, I will take the top 5 from the last round, and the top 5 from this round, and have a face-off.

Let the 2 pole poll round 2 begin!

(Reminder, the candidates must be analog 2 pole -12db/oct. filters in analog synths, and for the sake of having a constant, we shall consider the filter to be in lowpass mode if multimode). Also, I will consider the poll list probationary for the first two days. If most of you seem to be content with the choices, I will keep them (along with your votes). If there is significant dissent, I will revise the list and encourage you to re-vote. Thanks.
Last edited by atomfahrzeug on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please email me instead of PMing me. I can be reached at adamrabraham@gmail.com... Thank you!!!

atomfahrzeug
korg
roland
tandberg

Re: 2 Pole Poll Round 2

Post by atomfahrzeug » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Off the top of my head, some other options might be some of the new Analog Solutions synths, the new MFB Megazwerg or Nanozwerg, the EDP Gnat or Wasp, the old Moog Sonic Sixes (the first batch with the Musonics filter), or any of the hundreds of new boutique analog modules being produced.
Please email me instead of PMing me. I can be reached at adamrabraham@gmail.com... Thank you!!!

JJQ

Post by JJQ » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:56 pm

But the EMS stuff has a 3pole/ 18db, right?
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Oberheim SEM (original w CA3080) - still the best and unmatched, even by crapload of clones that emerged over the years and decades.

close second is 12dB filter in Obrheim OBXa, derived from SEM circuit to acomodate CEM3320.

third place would have to be a tie btwn CS-50/60/80 and Jupiter 8

looking at the poll i see only modern synths on the list, if that was a requirement i missed, i would then vote Studio Electronics 12dB (found in SE-1, ATC-X, Omega), new Tom Oberheim SEM and MOTM GX-1 clone. still belongs to "other" i guess.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

atomfahrzeug
korg
roland
tandberg

Post by atomfahrzeug » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:29 am

May I please remind you all that this is Round 2 of the poll.

Clusterchord- all of your recommendations were choices in the first poll, of which I provided a link to in the first posting.

Unfortunately, I will have to disregard votes for filters from Round 1; BUT, you can vote for them again in the final round.

atomfahrzeug
korg
roland
tandberg

Post by atomfahrzeug » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:31 am

About the EMS... perhaps you're right?!?! What do you recommend I replace the EMSs with, JJQ?