who else but novation?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: who else but novation?

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm

What's this, a thread spreading Novation love? 8-)

Owner of a Novation KS4 for many years. It was pretty heap when I got it, too: lot cheaper than the Nord Lead, which is often considered superior.

Nice balance between knobs and deeper menu features. I'm never lost. Great for everything from leads to ambient pads to electric pianos to classical guitars to Mellotron flutes.

Dano

Post by Dano » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:55 pm

The Novation A-Station was my first synth. (I still have it.) Then I got a Nova and then a Xio. I definitely have an appreciation of Novations as well. I'm still corresponding with Novation as far as getting A-Station patches to transfer into the Xio as they are said to be able to. (Hopefully it's not just a case of user error!) One shallow wish would be that the Xio were the beautiful A-Station blue (and made of metal)!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:06 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:It was pretty heap
You mean like this?

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am

Very nice, but she's nothing compared to Barbara.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Hugo76 wrote:I have the KS rack and enjoy it very much. Excellent synth. I'd also love to have a Nova laptop. Too bad Novation no longer do synths like these.

Any problems to report with 'note stealing' or some other notorious problem with the KS(rack) where the mono mode or something becomes 'unusable'. I wonder if those reports were true or just the usual net over-reactions?

Also read on the net (the modern version of 'a bloke down the pub told me') that the VST V-Station is every bit as good as KS rack in sound and features, have you compared to the hardware to confirm/deny this? Anyone else?

Thanks

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Pro5 wrote:Any problems to report with 'note stealing' or some other notorious problem with the KS(rack) where the mono mode or something becomes 'unusable'. I wonder if those reports were true or just the usual net over-reactions?
Never been an issue for me.

It's got 16 voices, so if you do an 8-voice supersaw in unison mode, then you'll get issues if you play it polyphonically. Similarly, if you stack up voices in performance mode, which I hardly find myself using, then you might get it.

But in normal use it's fine. This is what I usually stick to, since it sounds thick enough.
Also read on the net (the modern version of 'a bloke down the pub told me') that the VST V-Station is every bit as good as KS rack in sound and features, have you compared to the hardware to confirm/deny this? Anyone else?
I have.

The V-Station is not a Novation KS synth, it's an emulation of the K-Station. It only has 8 oscillators waveforms, not the 24 oscillator waveforms that the KS synths do. To me, that's important, because these additional waveforms (percussive hits, piano, etc.) add just that little bit extra to the sound.

Moreover, you're losing the immediacy that you get with a physical interface. That may seem a philosophical point, but I've always felt it important.

Cheers

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Plus the KS 4/5/Rack have a multimode filter, V-station (the native version at least) Is LPF only.
They have a mic/line in so you can also use it as an fx unit filter or a vocoder. It's a cool bit of kit and they go for silly prices, I paid £170 for mine 3 years ago

felis

Post by felis » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Pro5 wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:I have the KS rack and enjoy it very much. Excellent synth. I'd also love to have a Nova laptop. Too bad Novation no longer do synths like these.

Any problems to report with 'note stealing' or some other notorious problem with the KS(rack) where the mono mode or something becomes 'unusable'. I wonder if those reports were true or just the usual net over-reactions?

Thanks

Can't compare the V-Station and the KS, but I've got a Nova and the V. I far prefer the Nova for sound quality. I've used the V-Station with both Aardvark and Emu audio interfaces, which are pretty decent quality, but the sound still doesn't compare to the Nova, IMO. Gotta' state though, that I'm still pretty much a hardware guy despite the ease of use of software.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks for the info people.

KS rack owners > I believe the knobs can put out midi to control other synths yes? If so is it mappable or set to a certain CC? In other words could it replace a BCR2000 - and can it transmit sysx or just CC?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I'm using the V-station through the X-station with a dedicated preset template for the V, and prefer the sound of the X better. But it is a nice soft synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Pro5 wrote:Thanks for the info people.

KS rack owners > I believe the knobs can put out midi to control other synths yes? If so is it mappable or set to a certain CC? In other words could it replace a BCR2000 - and can it transmit sysx or just CC?

It transmits a set CC for each control. It's for automation, not to control other synths.

polyklinik
Gear: VCO, VCF, THC, LSD

Post by polyklinik » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:28 pm

crystalmsc wrote:I'm using the V-station through the X-station with a dedicated preset template for the V, and prefer the sound of the X better. But it is a nice soft synth.

for my ears, the x-station's LP filter is harder/sharper, but the fx section is better on the v-station.