Don't sell your f**k gear!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Don't sell your f**k gear!

Post by Joey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

In the past year or so I have sold off a few things which I now miss dearly and regret ever getting rid of

namely:

my waldorf XTk and Nord Modular G1 Keyboard.

I sold them for other things (xtk to switch to an evolver, and NMG1 for lack of monies), and it was a terrible mistake.

so lesson to be learned

the grass is never f**k greener, keep your gear, maximize it's potential, and make some damn music

i cry myself to sleep every night because I no longer have an XTk.

and here I am offering up other gear to recoup those losses. so vicious is the cycle.

anyone else ever done this?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: Don't sell your f**k gear!

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Joey wrote:In the past year or so I have sold off a few things which I now miss dearly and regret ever getting rid of

namely:

I sold them for other things (xtk to switch to an evolver, and NMG1 for lack of monies), and it was a terrible mistake.

so lesson to be learned

the grass is never f**k greener, keep your gear, maximize it's potential, and make some damn music

and here I am offering up other gear to recoup those losses. so vicious is the cycle.

Yes. And just last night I was trying to figure out where the f**k all the money went. I can't figure it out either. :oops:
bonne chance

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:30 pm

I've been on the fence about selling my Nord Lead 2x for 6 months now. I don't use it much anymore, the ESQ and Juno are taking up all my time, but I'm hesitant to sell the Nord for a few reasons. It was my first synth, so sentimental value, it's not a bad performance synth with all it's knobs and layering and awesome pitch stick, and it's so friggin lightweight and easy to carry out to jam with.

It's also been sitting unused for months, and they're catching decent prices - I could definently easily make back what I got it for and maybe then some - but I just know eventually I will regret it.

I can relate with guitars though, man can I relate with guitars. I don't think I've been synthing long enough to make these kind of regretful decisions - hopefully I'll be able to resist. ^_^

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Elandroth wrote: I can relate with guitars though, man can I relate with guitars. I don't think I've been synthing long enough to make these kind of regretful decisions - hopefully I'll be able to resist. ^_^
Not sure if that was directed toward me and you had seen some of my posts from yesterday, but that's what I'm trying to figure out what happened with the money. Also with a MicroKorg, MC 505, Split Eight, and MAX. Don't know where it went. I sold a Kramer Baretta ($575), Kramer 1984 ($660), Big Baby Taylor ($215), Peavey Windsor Amp ($180), 5150 Combo ($450), Split Eight ($390), MicroKorg ($240), MC 505 ($200), and MAX ($230) and don't know what I did with any of the money with the exception of the Taylor covering a 606, and Windsor covering a 505. s**t. This is baaaaad.
bonne chance

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:48 pm

I also sold a Waldorf Microwave XT five years ago and I still regret it... I've managed to mostly get over it by getting the Blofeld which can create many of the same sounds.

I have a couple of synths that I often consider selling (Roland JP8000 and Korg Prophecy) but they each have just a few sounds on them that I love but can't create on other synths.

Buying (and selling) gear is a dangerous addiction though... both financially and in the fact that you become more focused on acquiring equipment rather that actually using it to make music. I'm totally guilty of this myself... I've haven't finished a proper 'release quality' track in years but I've spent probably thousands of hours online researching synths and gear.

It's easy to put off commiting to making a finished album or track because you lack that one 'special' piece of gear. Although I think that subconsciously that's just an excuse, maybe the real problem is lack of self-confidence in one's own musical ability and/or lazziness when it comes to working hard to improve your own music skills.
Last edited by memory cords on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:49 pm

I tend to keep most things, but of the things I've sold, I regret few. Nord 2X, Roland MC-202... no others spring to mind right now. Maybe the Casio RZ-1 as it was so simple and fun... but most sales go unmissed.

Depends what you want and need. I could do with a couple of bits of outboard, so some pedals and a synth will fund that. I won't be selling anything that I know would be hard to replace later though, especially given current price rise trends...

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:15 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I tend to keep most things, but of the things I've sold, I regret few. Nord 2X, Roland MC-202... no others spring to mind right now. Maybe the Casio RZ-1 as it was so simple and fun... but most sales go unmissed.

Depends what you want and need. I could do with a couple of bits of outboard, so some pedals and a synth will fund that. I won't be selling anything that I know would be hard to replace later though, especially given current price rise trends...
I don't really regret selling stuff either, I just regret the whole "not knowing where my money went" thing. It kind of sucks. :|
bonne chance

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Joey wrote:In the past year or so I have sold off a few things which I now miss dearly and regret ever getting rid of

namely:

so lesson to be learned

Oh Boy! Wise words - I think, sadly, so much of today's PC based eye/ear candy has a lot to do with this current lust for selling everything and spending the cash on software. I have turned over many a beloved synth over the years and yes, sometimes I've really regretted it - but that was always because I needed the dosh. I have an orignal uWave in the studio- and that's in the list of never to sell synths :)

I feel very sorry for those who've sold off entire studio's worth of hardware only to be left equally poor having bought a tons of software for their PC based rigs which has no material value (or soul!) whatsoever - even days after purchasing it!!

I came close to selling my old EMAX II the other day until I powered it up and reminded myself just how lovely this sampler sounds - there are few samplers around where you can chuck in one single shot sample and it sounds gorgeous transposed across 5 octaves.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 pm

regret is a strong word.
Last edited by esqoner on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 pm

I can understand why you regret selling the XTk. It's a monster and I love it so much. Even bought the 30 voice exp. Would be the last of my digitals to go.

But don't worry...you can get another one when time is up..same goes for the nord

I sold a Juno 106 and a JD 800. Don't regret it though...haven't got room for them.
Could always get them again if I wanted..but I don't need them. Right now anyway

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 pm

The only thing I regret selling was a Korg EM-1. I "upgraded" to an EMX but I didn't really like it as much. The other things I've sold (DX7, MS2000), I don't regret in the least.

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:04 pm

I sell s**t all the time and I can't think of any sale I regret, but I can definitely think of purchases that I regret. PLENTY of those.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 pm

speak_onion wrote:I sell s**t all the time and I can't think of any sale I regret, but I can definitely think of purchases that I regret. PLENTY of those.
Why don't you have at least one really bad synthesizer listed in your gear so I can say "Bet *** is one!" :D
bonne chance

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Joey wrote:...
I cry myself to sleep every night because I no longer have an XTk....
I had a chuckle at this line. Sorry. Condolences I suppose is in order.

I've sold gear that I regret, but I never sold my first synth, an Arp Explorer. I did sell my second synth, an Arp 2600, after having it for 20 odd years and I still miss it. Other synths, not so much.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Joey wrote:...
I cry myself to sleep every night because I no longer have an XTk....
I had a chuckle at this line. Sorry. Condolences I suppose is in order.

I've sold gear that I regret, but I never sold my first synth, an Arp Explorer. I did sell my second synth, an Arp 2600, after having it for 20 odd years and I still miss it. Other synths, not so much.
i was hoping you would chuckle, being that it was sarcastic
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com