Don't sell your f**k gear!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Re: Don't sell your f**k gear!

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Joey wrote:...
I cry myself to sleep every night because I no longer have an XTk....
I had a chuckle at this line. Sorry. Condolences I suppose is in order.

I've sold gear that I regret, but I never sold my first synth, an Arp Explorer. I did sell my second synth, an Arp 2600, after having it for 20 odd years and I still miss it. Other synths, not so much.
Why would you sell the 2600?! Ol' Gravel Shins, is that you?! :lol:
joey wrote:i was hoping you would chuckle, being that it was sarcastic
:la:

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Joey wrote:...
I cry myself to sleep every night because I no longer have an XTk....
I had a chuckle at this line. Sorry. Condolences I suppose is in order.

I've sold gear that I regret, but I never sold my first synth, an Arp Explorer. I did sell my second synth, an Arp 2600, after having it for 20 odd years and I still miss it. Other synths, not so much.
Why would you sell the 2600?! Ol' Gravel Shins, is that you?! :lol:
joey wrote:i was hoping you would chuckle, being that it was sarcastic
:la:
Joey, I did get that and I love the way you put things, sometimes. The sad truth is that some people probably do cry at material things they miss whether it be a synth or whatever.

I'm not Ol' Gravel Shins either, sequentialsoftshock.

I sold the Arp 2600 in 1998 to take my Mom to Bermuda and that was a great vacation. The Arp was a 'drifter' and I swear it had 13 notes per octave. I've since started fresh with the Moog Voyager as a base for a module set up. Whoever has my Arp 2600 now, I hope they get a lot of good use of it.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Joey, I did get that and I love the way you put things, sometimes. The sad truth is that some people probably do cry at material things they miss whether it be a synth or whatever.

I'm not Ol' Gravel Shins either, sequentialsoftshock.

I sold the Arp 2600 in 1998 to take my Mom to Bermuda and that was a great vacation. The Arp was a 'drifter' and I swear it had 13 notes per octave. I've since started fresh with the Moog Voyager as a base for a module set up. Whoever has my Arp 2600 now, I hope they get a lot of good use of it.
Well that's a good thing I suppose, you still have your sanity. Sounds like an excellent gesture of you. Far more rewarding than a synthesizer, even if it does have 13 notes per octave ;)

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Joey wrote: the grass is never f**k greener, keep your gear, maximize it's potential, and make some damn music

i cry myself to sleep every night because I no longer have an XTk.
Not surprised to hear that. Vowed along time ago not sell stuff... but also to only buy stuff I'm gonna use and can use fully (with my very very limited skillset).

Which is why even though my favorite (along with the Minimoog) sounding and looking synth (of all time) that I used to play regularly (when it came out in the 80's) but didn't own, the Roland Jupiter 8, isn't in my studio.

As for your gear - I was trying to get an XTk for a long time but very few showed up in the UK ( now given up for a number of reasons). But I reckon in the current climate and the fact you are in the US, if you do want get one again, you should be able to (and probably should).

Nord I don't know enough about...

Rosskey

Post by Rosskey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:38 pm

I can relate to this, well nearly. Thought about selling my D-50 and PG1000 which I've had for years, believe me, it was close when cash was tight but, it's brought me so much inspiration, enjoyment and happiness, and getting a replacement further down the years was just too much to bear. I have an affinity with it, I just can't part with it, I'd sell the wife first!...Commiserations dude, I feel for you in a synthpathetic way.
Current: Roland SH-201, RS-70, XP-30, XP-50, D-50 w/ PG-1000
Previous:Yamaha SY22, Yamaha AN1X, Roland MC-303, Alpha Juno 1,Casio CZ-1000 First: Yamaha MKS100 1983/4

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 am

Come on people all this gear is easily replaceable...

I'll sell anything and buy it again later if I miss it, with the internets these days it's really easy to find almost anything.
for sale/trade: EML-101

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 am

Sold my Jupiter 8 and Moog Voyager recently. No regrets for either, so far. I can't do the Barracuda solo anymore and I lost some really nice strings. But these things happen when you can't get work for 5 1/2 months. I may build a dotcom modular with the remaining funds, but I'm f**k sick of current vintage prices, so they're no longer part of my future, best I can foresee.

If I really get the itch to play some vintage keys, I'll go hang out with Z.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:34 am

I'm reluctant to sell my vintage gear, athough (like nadafarms said), you can usually find most with eBay these days.

The MachineDrum is a great machine, but I have no regrets selling it late 2009 because I know I can get another one easliy. Feel free to sell anything that is still in production.
Solderman wrote:
You're welcome any time, though I might have to sell some stuff if I can't find a place to put it all!

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:38 am

Z wrote:I'm reluctant to sell my vintage gear, athough (like nadafarms said), you can usually find most with eBay these days.

The MachineDrum is a great machine, but I have no regrets selling it late 2009 because I know I can get another one easliy. Feel free to sell anything that is still in production.
Solderman wrote:
You're welcome any time, though I might have to sell some stuff if I can't find a place to put it all!
Or we could start a VSE member self storage center ;)

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:30 am

esqoner wrote:regret is a strong word.
Daddy?

YES SON

What does "regret" mean?

WELL SON
THE FUNNY THING ABOUT REGRET
IS THAT IT'S BETTER TO REGRET SOMETHING
YOU HAVE DONE
THANK SOMETHING YOU HAVEN'T DONE

OH BY THE WAY
IF YOU SEE YOUR MOM THIS WEEKEND
WOULD YOU BE SURE AND TELL HER

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:14 am

At least try to sell stuff to "friends" so they will stay in the family longer. I had a MINT Trident MK2 with orig patch tape and manual. Sold to a friend for $1300 and a mint polysix. I think I got a fair deal but I do miss that thing sometimes. It's just one of those rare vintage deals, sounds spectacular and will only go up in price at this point. Fortunately, he'll never sell it but he lives states away so I can't play it any time. I can't say I've regretted selling anything else :D

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:16 am

i have had 12 synths in my hands this year! buying, selling, buying, selling!! flipping ect..ect.. i tried so many and had so many! man, i do miss my sh-101 the most. but got a few cool things out of it all. My DSI Tetra for one and my AN1x...:) that is the only VA i will ever need. AN1x rules! i miss my blofeld as well a bit. trying to keep the 4 i have now, sh-32, tetra, an1x and prophet 600 and learn them and work them and just make music and keep myself off of ebay and GC online! it's addictive!

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:05 am

I will say I should bought a bunch of andromedas for $1800 used like a year ago and a few in the box... :(
for sale/trade: EML-101

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:06 am

nadafarms wrote:I will say I should bought a bunch of andromedas for $1800 used like a year ago and a few in the box... :(
Ouch. :oops:

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:11 am

I miss my DX7 ('s)

But I'm getting a TX802 soon so.. whatev.
soundcloud.com/vectron