Don't sell your f**k gear!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Re: Don't sell your f**k gear!

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:50 pm

I sold my 606 2 months ago for 500, and have regretted ever since.

Yesterday, I bought one in fantastic condition, with an Analog Solutions tone tweaker breakout for 666 bucks. 8-)

I probably wouldn't have gotten the mod, so I feel that it was actually OK for me to sell my old one in order to get this pimped version. I guess you never know what will come around again...
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Can I rent your MonoPoly??? :P

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Buying (and selling) gear is a dangerous addiction though... both financially and in the fact that you become more focused on acquiring equipment rather that actually using it to make music. I'm totally guilty of this myself... I've haven't finished a proper 'release quality' track in years but I've spent probably thousands of hours online researching synths and gear.
This hits waaaay too close to home. I have embarrassingly little to show for my pretty decent (and over researched/arranged) setup. As noted part of it is that mythical piece of gear ("if I just had a real analog delay/monosynth/filterbank then I could ....") lust, and constantly trading/upgrading stuff.

On topic, I regret to some degree selling my nova desktop, roland JX8P, dsi mopho, and Weird Sound Generator.
On the other hand, I wasn't exactly pumping out recordings with any of those, I have a bad tendency to learn alot about a piece, play with it a week then plop it in a setup and not work with it enough.

I finaly feel like I have some keepers though (fusion, Virus TI, ESX, sp555, kp3 etc) that are essential to my setup and I don't eye them and dream of bigger things

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:51 pm

rhino wrote:my mantra:

buy two broken ones
fix 'em
sell one. keep one.
Good one too.

Cumulus, if you want to offload that 808 for close to what you paid, hit me up ;)
bonne chance

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:I sold my 606 2 months ago for 500, and have regretted ever since.

Yesterday, I bought one in fantastic condition, with an Analog Solutions tone tweaker breakout for 666 bucks. 8-)

I probably wouldn't have gotten the mod, so I feel that it was actually OK for me to sell my old one in order to get this pimped version. I guess you never know what will come around again...
Did you sell it up there? I bought a 606 for $230 CAD in April and it was in excellent condition. Did the market take off, or did I just get lucky?
bonne chance

OntarioHydro
Band: {}[]<>[]{}

Post by OntarioHydro » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:16 pm

they fluctuate I saw one for $70 not 2 months ago. 2 trigger outs!

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:07 am

For me personally...there can't be a much better reason to keep my synths and machines than this...

He loves that dw8000 because of the joystick. I can thank Tallow for selling me that machine!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Newtown
Gear: microKORG
Yamaha PSR-15
mini-KP
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler
Boss DR-770
Band: Datavis

Post by Newtown » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:39 am

OntarioHydro wrote:they fluctuate I saw one for $70 not 2 months ago. 2 trigger outs!
sequentialsoftshock wrote: Did you sell it up there? I bought a 606 for $230 CAD in April and it was in excellent condition. Did the market take off, or did I just get lucky?
Woah - I'm so used to seeing them at like between 450-600 USD, eBayers really overprice things. h**l, cheapest I've seen was still like 250.
http://datavis.bandcamp.com/ is for Datavis releases.
http://soundcloud.com/datavis/ is for everything else.
http://penguinchan.org/will/ is my personal site.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:42 am

rharris07 wrote: He loves that dw8000 because of the joystick. I can thank Tallow for selling me that machine!
Does he prefer its FILTER or OSCILLATOR? :lol:

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:12 am

pflosi wrote:
rharris07 wrote: He loves that dw8000 because of the joystick. I can thank Tallow for selling me that machine!
OR the AMPLIFIER?! :biggrin:
bonne chance

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:52 pm

pflosi wrote:

Definitely the filter...he tells me when he pulls it down - "daddy off" - and when he lets it back up "daddy here," so my guess is he can actually hear the difference in the sound and when he turns that filter on most of what he hears disappears, and he associates that with turning things off.

sequentialsoftshock wrote: OR the AMPLIFIER?! :biggrin:
So far he doesn't like making things louder...perhaps he'll be a minimalist composer, heh. He does like falling asleep to my Eno records, especially Atmospheres...so who knows!

Cumulus wrote:He's trying to get that "Jump" sound....
hah oh god no, we don't play the van in this house!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't mind selling what I own, If it helps support my daughter paying for her things.
times are rough, money is tight. I have no regrets.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:28 pm

rharris07 wrote:
pflosi wrote:

Definitely the filter...he tells me when he pulls it down - "daddy off" - and when he lets it back up "daddy here," so my guess is he can actually hear the difference in the sound and when he turns that filter on most of what he hears disappears, and he associates that with turning things off.

sequentialsoftshock wrote: OR the AMPLIFIER?! :biggrin:
So far he doesn't like making things louder...perhaps he'll be a minimalist composer, heh. He does like falling asleep to my Eno records, especially Atmospheres...so who knows!

Cumulus wrote:He's trying to get that "Jump" sound....
hah oh god no, we don't play the van in this house!
Well then, he's already smarter than about half the people who shop for (or sell) synths at Guitar Center....

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:48 am

nadafarms wrote:Come on people all this gear is easily replaceable...

I'll sell anything and buy it again later if I miss it, with the internets these days it's really easy to find almost anything.
But at what cost? I bought my SH-101 for $25, got my Odyssey for FREE... I'd love to have another Oddy but not for the $1500+ prices I see these days. So I have an Evolver instead.

My rule of thumb is if I can't buy it back for what I sold it for, I'm never going to replace it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.