Korg Microstation - Manuals now online

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Korg Microstation - Manuals now online

Post by StepLogik » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:10 pm

http://www.korg.co.uk/support/downloads ... #Documents

The US site still doesn't have them but I doubt it would be any different. This looks like a really cool and easy-to-use workstation for not much money.

crofter
Gear: microkorg
KP3
Kaossilator
DS10
Mini KP
alesis Micron
Juno D
Blofeld
Xio synth.
Yamaha PSS-570
Korg Monotron
Korg Microstation

Re: Korg Microstation - Manuals now online

Post by crofter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:36 pm

I bought one last week, very nice little keyboard, quite playable even with the mini keys, sounds are very good, the sequencer is easy to use, programming is a little laborious on the keyboard itself but the software editor is good and also acts as a vst instrument, good things in a small package, it would have been better if it ran on battery power but otherwise a useful small all in one package.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:18 pm

i was looking at the manual for the sequencer section. it looks like the sequencer is just a linear 16-track? i didn't see anything about being able to create patterns/phrases, etc... have you done much editing or arranging with the sequencer yet?

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:24 pm

There is a review in this months Sound On Sound mag - might shed some light

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:49 pm

jaypodesta wrote:There is a review in this months Sound On Sound mag - might shed some light
thanks for the tip, i'll have to pick that up

crofter
Gear: microkorg
KP3
Kaossilator
DS10
Mini KP
alesis Micron
Juno D
Blofeld
Xio synth.
Yamaha PSS-570
Korg Monotron
Korg Microstation

Post by crofter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Each track in the sequencer can be looped individually, so for instance you could loop a two bar drum pattern and then create a four bar bass line and loop that and then play some piano parts over that for as long as you want and then add whatever you desire, you can record parts using a loop sequence or the pattern grid.you can also create drum patterns or use any other instrument with the arpeggiator.

Doooooooom
Gear: Microkorg, Mopho Keyboard, Korg SP-300 piano, Roland KC-110 amp, Korg Pandora.

Post by Doooooooom » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:44 am

Online manuals are good for reading when you're at work (tee hee). Unless you're a professional musician, in which case that would be normal. -But not very rock and roll to be reading a manual.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Doooooooom wrote:Online manuals are good for reading when you're at work (tee hee). Unless you're a professional musician, in which case that would be normal. -But not very rock and roll to be reading a manual.
i'm definitely not rock and roll. :D

a manual is a good way to get past the marketing hype. if you read the 1-sheet on the website, the instrument is flawless and will meet all of your wildest expectations. reading the manual will usually reveal the shortcomings of the instrument.

in the case of the microStation, i was expecting the same pattern sequencer as in the Electribe except with polyphonic capability. clearly, that is not the case which is a bit of a bummer. that linear/loop based sequencer sounds like a PITA to arrange tracks on. but, i haven't actually tried it yet.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:31 pm

well i ended up getting one of these on impulse after messing around with it at GC. its just too much fun. the mini-keys are awesome for inept players like me and the bread-and-butter sounds are top-notch. i was able to scratch out some basic house tunes (organ bass, drums, piano, etc) with minimal effort. programming beats on the grid is just like the electribe - simplicity.

i bought this as a non-studio piece of kit to use a scratch pad when i'm traveling or just want to tinker outside of the studio. this duty has been previously handled by my trusty QY-100 but i'm thinking the microstation is the new king. still too big to use on a plane though :lol:

polardark

Post by polardark » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:43 pm

I got a microStation for easy portable access as well (and i lacked a half-decent bread and butter sound source). I hope they'll get around to selling the soft bag for it in europe soon so that it can be truly portable.

For once, it seems that Korg has resisted the urge to limit the features of a smaller lower-cost model enough to piss me off with the microStation. :)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by StepLogik » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:41 pm

the only real complaint i have is the display is just too small. i really wish they could have packed in a larger one but i guess that would have raised the price too much. its basically a cheap casiotone with an enormous amount of power under the hood.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Sat May 18, 2013 2:24 am

I picked a microSTATION earlier today. Very satisfied! I have never owned a rompler until now and live in a Manhattan co-op, so the sound set matched with size factor was a plus. The quality of the build is better than I expected; more solid than the micro-X, which feels almost hollow in comparison.

Truth is I had a coupon good at Guitar Center and I went in there expecting to acquire a Mininova, but the feel of that instrument's oversized and rubberized pitch and mod wheels was slippery and disproportionate to the whole, not at all like the tight reeded edges of the smaller microKorg and Minibrute and DSI synth wheels.

Last edited by ronP on Mon May 20, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat May 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Usually you have to read the manual to scratch further than just the surface of these new synths. I didn't read my Motif XF manual at all, but when I actually sat down alot of things fell into place and I could do SO much more with it.