Anyone having fun with the monotron yet?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
computron
Band: Computron

Anyone having fun with the monotron yet?

Post by computron » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:16 am

I sure am .I dont realy like making noise with it but it can scream your ears to blood if you want it too.I am enjoing using it's audio in on some of my electribes and it realy beefs the sound up .I like this little filter toy anyone else enjoying the monotron?
Last edited by computron on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Living the Electro Life

Cerebral Infect

Re: Anyone having fun with the montron yet?

Post by Cerebral Infect » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:29 am

I having fun with it. I thought it was a korg toy. But when you sweep the filter, you know it is not a toy. It is a preview of something bigger coming next year.

A fully analog MS-2000 synth ? I am putting money aside for whatever analog product Korg comes up with.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:26 am

I heard that the BoomChickaTron will be released at NAMM, featuring an all-analogue drum machine, sample playback, analogue filters and an all-analogue MS2000!

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:27 am

Cerebral Infect wrote:I having fun with it. I thought it was a korg toy. But when you sweep the filter, you know it is not a toy. It is a preview of something bigger coming next year.

A fully analog MS-2000 synth ? I am putting money aside for whatever analog product Korg comes up with.
I doubt they would do that. If anything an analog monophonic. Even though they're a huge company, that's an expensive design to test the waters with; especially considering that they aren't really known for an analog poly like SCI, Oberheim, or Roland. However, I could see a mono. It would still be hella expensive though.
Stab Frenzy wrote:I heard that the BoomChickaTron will be released at NAMM, featuring an all-analogue drum machine, sample playback, analogue filters and an all-analogue MS2000!
=D>
bonne chance

computron

Post by computron » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:48 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I heard that the BoomChickaTron will be released at NAMM, featuring an all-analogue drum machine, sample playback, analogue filters and an all-analogue MS2000!
:lol:

I dont see korg making a analog like ms2000 or a poly with vcos I think a linn drum ll boom chickatron would come first.
Living the Electro Life

Elandroth
Gear: Nord Lead 2X, DSI MEK PE, Roland D-50/Juno-60/TR-707, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Casio CZ-5000, Elektron MD UW+

Post by Elandroth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:12 am

I've wanted to get one since I saw it, but I've held off cause I've got enough bullshit acquired in the last 6 months I need to spend more time with. Looks like a h**l of a nice little circuit for it's price though, I really applaud them for it.

And hopefully it's just a sign of things to come - wishful thinking but I hope to god if Korg starts pushing out some modern true analog products Roland will get back in the game and some competition ushers a new era of analog poly's.

It'd probably be bad news for DSI though, heh.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:51 am

you forgot vocoder-theramin, multi-timbral "next" button! :happy3:

colorbars
Gear: Juno-60, ESQ-1, Mopho, Micron, Poly 61, MS2000R, DX-7, DX-21, M-VS1, ES-1 mkII, Monotron, ESI32, TR-505, EA-1

Post by colorbars » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 am

I'm really enjoying mine and looking forward to modding it in the future once someone comes up with a midi kit for it, i've seen a few recently posted modded midi monotron clips on youtube so i'm keeping my hopes up.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:15 am

Its really worth it to mod it with cv/gate. Its so easy too, the circuit board even has the labeled points for gate and cv.

It controls from silent way very nicely too.
‹‡›

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 am

bhrama wrote:
you forgot vocoder-theramin, multi-timbral "next" button! :happy3:
finally something that can produce brown notes and binaural beats?

I also hope that it will be valve-based only with built-in tape delay and mechanic vibrato :lol:

toad

Post by toad » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:18 am

Some acid-esque jams featuring squealing and other noise from the Monotron (the first 3 tracks)

http://soundcloud.com/tfc-1

The rest is mopho and an old Alesis drum machine.

computron

Post by computron » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 pm

toad wrote:Some acid-esque jams featuring squealing and other noise from the Monotron (the first 3 tracks)

http://soundcloud.com/tfc-1

The rest is mopho and an old Alesis drum machine.

thats great stuff!!! I can hear the monotron noises very clearly in there and then that 5:48 monotron break down sweep with the lfo rate knob to a bass is great.
Living the Electro Life

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:40 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote: they aren't really known for an analog poly like SCI, Oberheim, or Roland. However, I could see a mono.
What, you mean like the Korg Polysix, Korg Trident, Korg PS-3100, 3200 and 3300, or the Korg DW-8000 digital osc/analogue filter hybrid?

No, I see your point. They've only ever made c**p polysynths.

;)

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:30 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote: they aren't really known for an analog poly like SCI, Oberheim, or Roland. However, I could see a mono.
What, you mean like the Korg Polysix, Korg Trident, Korg PS-3100, 3200 and 3300, or the Korg DW-8000 digital osc/analogue filter hybrid?

No, I see your point. They've only ever made c**p polysynths.

;)
I guess the MiniKorg, MaxiKorg, Mono/Poly and Poly 61 are pretty forgettable c**p too...

;)

tim gueguen

Re: Anyone having fun with the monotron yet?

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Whatever Korg's future analog products might be they will include a voice activated circuit that will announce "This unit does not make acoustic piano sounds" whenever the word piano is uttered within 50 meters of the unit.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound