Envelope Followers

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zodnik

Envelope Followers

Post by zodnik » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:35 am

Hi All

A question regarding Envelope Followers, and how I might do something like this with my Moog Voyager.

I've got another synth which I also love, the Roland Sh-1 which has this feature built in which i've recently gotten much use out of processing audio signals..

when i played around with the audio input on the voyager I found it to be a bit limited since I could not make the intensity of the sound affect anything internally on the voyager....and looked up a few envelope followers online.. finding such things as the Oakley Module designed for Modular Synths:
http://www.oakleysound.co.uk/follower.htm
This unit also appears to be able to send CV and Gate so if it were a guitar being played it would send the notes to the voyager as well.. making it kindof like a guitar synth?

I also found that the Moog MF-101 has an envelope out which I could in turn run into the Gate of my voyager.. however its a bit pricey...
then came across cheaper things called 'envelope followers' such as this

but i'm just not sure what that will do for me.. all I really want is to be able to use the 'intensity' of a sound to trigger the envelopes on the voyager so that ... the input sound also has an effect on the filters

can anyone shed some light on this?
Much appreciated!

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Re: Envelope Followers

Post by moremagic » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:39 am

my MF-101 is just about my favorite piece of gear. It overdrives really, really well, which I understand aint quite the case on the Voyager. Now what youre seeing with the EHX stuff (and most products sold as "Envelope Followers') is an envelope follower controlling a filter, similar to the MF-101, but with no CV ins or outs. And its made for guitar, so a loud synth signal might clip the follower, reducing the modulation range.
The Moog envelope followers puts out a continuous signal and not a trigger signal, so its not reliable as a steady trigger source (though a favorite patch of mine is to run a nice arpeggio from the Polysix to the MF-101 and the Env Out from the Moog to the Arp Trigger in on the Korg, can get some srsly unstable rhythms). Youll want an inverting attenuator for it, probably, so you can lower cutoff as amplitude increases or what have you.
Another Moog with an env follower on it is the Freqbox, but my Freqbox' preamp section is too quiet or something and the range of the env is noticeably smaller than on the MF-101.

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:50 pm

zodnik wrote: ...finding such things as the Oakley Module designed for Modular Synths:
http://www.oakleysound.co.uk/follower.htm
This unit also appears to be able to send CV and Gate so if it were a guitar being played it would send the notes to the voyager as well.. making it kindof like a guitar synth?
Envelope followers only follow the volume of as sound, not the pitch. The CV from the Oakley is volume not pitch. Extracting the pitch from an instrument is much harder, and will only track clean monophonic sources.
As has been said you want really the Envelope CV going to a continous CV in, not a gate input.

Apart from the Moog I suspect the only Envelope followers generating CVs for other devices are likely to be for modulars. Doepfer do an envelope / gate / input module, but you'll also need some sort of case & PSU, then you'll want other modules... that way lies madness ;)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:34 am

there are circuits that act as pitch-to-CV followers. yet only a handful of synths feature this. like Korg MS-20, and Roland P/V Synth SPV-555. tracking is of course monophonic, and not dead accurate or lightning quick, but works.

as for envelope followers, besides extracting the amplitude, some of the more advanced ones can change the time constant of the lag processor, output the gate - thruout signal level being above the set treshold, and also extract a trigger signal on the onset of gate. one of the better eqipped ones that i know of is BLACET I/O module:

i'm using a very nice envelope follower on my Mutator filter, that has separate controls over attack, release, env intensity and treshold. but intend to add one to my Elektor Formant module as well - there are some nice DIY pcbs for this, worth looking into, like yu-synth stuff etc.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc