The Appearance of Synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Re: The Appearance of Synths

Post by krzeppa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 pm

I agree with some of the people on here who said it doesn't matter how it looks, but how it sounds and what it can do. That is always the number 1 factor to me. The layout of a synth, however, can aid in the creative process. When I sit down in front of my Supernova, I find that I am more creative because of all of the access to knobs, buttons, etc. I appear to be more productive on that than my Micron because it can be more time consuming to create what I need. I sometimes loose focus and creativity scrolling through menus to adjust things. I will say that my Virus TI looks really cool to me, but I don't find it any more inspiring than my supernova.
That being said, my MO8 is a really ugly synth - I like what it can do but it is huge and hidious! :lol:

And balma....I don't think the Blofeld is as much ugly looking as it is boring/sterile looking. ;)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:21 pm

ImperatorDX wrote:ninja6485 wrote:
it's one thing to appreciate the look of a particular synth, or really detest the look of another, but when you start making decisions on what you want to own and use based on looks, it shows that the mucisal value and functionality of the synth are less important than the looks.

Your premise is flawed. Please show me the quotation where I say that the musical value of the instrument is less important to me.
no quotation neccisary, it's simple logic.(and this wasn't directed at you, it was in general ;) ) but i think i see where the confusion is. let me clarify:

1.both aesthetics and funtionality are aspects of synth buying, and can be distinct from each other.

2.different people place different levels of importance on different aspects of said synth.

3. people evaluate synths and synth purchases based largely on their preference of the importance of the synth's aspects relative to themselves if buying for themselves.

4. in the case that aesthetics and functionality are distinct, someone who consistantly buys synths based mainly on aesthetics must mainly value aesthetics.

5. in the case that aesthetics and functionality are distinct, one cannot both mainly value aesthetics and mainly value funtionality simultaneously.

6. in the case that aesthetics and functionality are distinct, someone who buys synths based mainly on aesthetics must value aesthetics over funtionality relative to their synth purchasing by 4 & 5.

therefore, in the case that aesthetics and functionality are distinct, for someone who buys synths mainly based on aesthetics, aesthetics are more important than functionality.

so now, we look at the quote: "when you start making decisions on what you want to own and use based on looks, it shows that the mucisal value and functionality of the synth are less important than the looks." hopefully this is clearer now. sorry to get philosophical, but the use of the word premis got me a little excited. 8-)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:02 pm

krzeppa wrote:And balma....I don't think the Blofeld is as much ugly looking as it is boring/sterile looking. ;)

Well you have a point there. Exactly. There's something too "sober" on the Blofeld. Like white moccasins.

I'm a stage performer, I always compose with the live performance in mind. So, good looking synths are always handy.

At least on keyboards, the looking can mean a success or a failure on sales. How much didn't like the FIzmo purple-

blue cover? According to magazines, its appearance affected sales.

Mine is customized, its previous owner, painted it in another color.... so even color can be an issue....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:31 am

"Never judge a book by its cover."

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:07 am

I strongly object to the Mopho/Bruce Lee comparison. Bruce rocked that jumpsuit with some style. The Mopho looks like the font-monster went diarrhea on its front panel.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:53 am

balma wrote:Image
Those are pretty sexy!!! :lol:

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:38 am

RD9 wrote:Image

"Never judge a book by its cover."
:lol: i think the celebrity thread my favorite thread on vse...so brilliant...

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:18 am

pricklyrobot wrote:I strongly object to the Mopho/Bruce Lee comparison. Bruce rocked that jumpsuit with some style. The Mopho looks like the font-monster went diarrhea on its front panel.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:33 am

The layout etc. are important factors, but I'd not buy a synth purely for it's looks. Once it sounded good and makes me want to use it more, I'd not particularly care if it looked like dogshit.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:41 am

this gives me an idea for a topic :idea:

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:52 am

pricklyrobot wrote:...The Mopho looks like the font-monster went diarrhea on its front panel.
Ha ha, classic! :clap:

ImperatorDX

Post by ImperatorDX » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:45 am

ninja6485 wrote:no quotation neccisary, it's simple logic.(and this wasn't directed at you, it was in general ;) ) but i think i see where the confusion is. let me clarify: (...)
All right, that's understandable. Now my simple logic:

1) AND =
2) If 1) exists then [ OR [I don't like the sounds]] AND [I don't like the looks] = [I don't buy]
3) [I don't like the sounds] AND = [I don't buy]

In case 2) and 3) I immediately look for an alternative instrument that meets the requirements in 1). Therefore musicality is as important as appearence.
My music and instrument demos: ImperatorDX

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:16 pm

I was just waiting for the bashing on Dave Smith's regrettable taste for fonts to begin. :lol:

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm

nvbrkr wrote:I was just waiting for the bashing on Dave Smith's regrettable taste for fonts to begin. :lol:
I washed out of design school, and even I know they're bad. ;)

I don't mind the No. 2 Pencil color scheme, but the utter mish-mash of type styles just makes me sad. Then again, this is the guy who combined Stop with an uncial script on the old Prophets (albeit a bit less garishly), so I'm not sure what we were expecting.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:36 pm

I think layout and looks are VERY different.

Layout isn't subjective, it's either well laid out or not.

Looks are very subjective. I think the 800DV is super ugly but I love that retro look. I also think the XTK is super ugly but I hate that "Extreme Synth" color and type font. Both synths however, sound fantastic!

Listen, we all love our girlfriends/wives/mates for their insides, right? ;) But there had to be something visual that attracted us in the first place.
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox