Novation Ultranova

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Re: Novation Ultranova

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:44 am

What's wrong with the interface? Looks just as easy as the Waldorf Matrix style, or the ESQ-1, which everyone seems to love. The Xiosynth and X-Station both sounded like s**t to me. If they get the Wavetables right, this could be a great sounding synth, and i'm excited to try one out. $700 is a great price. We must all be spoiled if we think this is too much.

Multi-Timberal synths = over rated. How many actually USE this anyway? I certainly never do, and it's something that adds a considerable price increase.

I'm glad Novation have come out with something new in the VA world, and it looks like they have a winner on their hands. Has anyone seen the poo pooing over on KVR? :roll:
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:24 am

pricklyrobot wrote:...Also, touchscreens are s**t. I don't like them at the bank machine or the grocery store; why would I want them on my synth? Give me tactile feedback any day!
Have you used a V-Synth? There's no way you'd fit all of its features on the front panel without it being 15 foot long.

That new novation looks cool, certainly looks nicer than the Xio - which I thought had a reasonable sound IMO

Don't quite get how the "Ultra" part works out though as it appears to be a stripped down *Super*Nova, thought maybe it refers to its sequential lineage... :?

Also not sure why there is a trend for gooseneck mics sprouting out of the tops of synths, vocoders are just cheesy IMO. Maybe I'm the only one... :lol:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Computer Controlled wrote:Multi-Timbral synths = over rated. How many actually USE this anyway?:
Me for one, a multitimbral synth has always been the heart of my rig and at some points my only synth. Once I encountered the Sequential MAX and the ESQ-1 I was totally sold on the idea.

Back to the main topic...
Hybrid88 wrote: vocoders are just cheesy IMO. Maybe I'm the only one... :lol:
Vocoders are a lot of fun if you use something else as the modulator besides a human voice. I like feeding in drum loops, guitars, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote:...Also, touchscreens are s**t. I don't like them at the bank machine or the grocery store; why would I want them on my synth? Give me tactile feedback any day!
Have you used a V-Synth? There's no way you'd fit all of its features on the front panel without it being 15 foot long.
:lol:
If all the synths would have the V-synth's touchscreen, this would be a better world.

The only touchscreen I hate is the one from the HP LaserJet printer from my job
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:07 pm

It's also an Automap controller, something I wish from the X-station.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Lack of multitimbrality and the traditional user interface of novation synths makes me think..

...why not just buy a nova/supernova?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:12 pm

cartesia wrote:Lack of multitimbrality and the traditional user interface of novation synths makes me think..

Portability of an all in one: Synth, Automap Controller, Audio and Midi Interface + a bonus Editor/Librarian and a gooseneck mic.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:18 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
cartesia wrote:Lack of multitimbrality and the traditional user interface of novation synths makes me think..

Portability of an all in one: Synth, Automap Controller, Audio and Midi Interface + a bonus Editor/Librarian and a gooseneck mic.
Food for thought....

Actually the more I think about it the more sold I am...
soundcloud.com/vectron

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:13 pm

crystalmsc wrote:

yeah hadn't thought of that, I guess it has appeal to computer users

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:00 pm

It seems like it could be a pretty neat little synth, but I'm not sure if it deserves the "Nova" lineage. I guess only time will tell. For now, I think I'll stick to my Supernova II and Xio. It was mentioned in another post that the Xio sound was not good. I'll agree that the factory settings are week, but I have been able to make some really cool stuff on that little guy....I love it!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:16 pm

krzeppa wrote:not sure if it deserves the "Nova" lineage. I guess only time will tell.
I remember that Nova had a decent OS upgrade. If they take the same route and focusing more on the user waveform/wavetable and fx update, it's going to be way more interesting to me. And with such a good looking plug-in editor, an update for more synth parts would also be nice. Even if they dynamically limit each part to 3 voices for 6 part multi-timbral (18 voices monotimbral, 9 voices bi-timbral, etc), it's still going to be more useful.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Arghh, If only it were bi-timbral (as the Korg R3 is) but having said that...I honestly think I'll have a hard time resisting it.

djstyleee

Post by djstyleee » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:48 am

Yeah I was reading about this it does look quite good, I am not really that interested in the performance base features however they would be good for creativity in the studio. I liked the sound on the supersaw and editor looked good, I am worried it may be very similar sounding to the SNII which I already have so...

I have to disagree with what was said earlier about the SN, I think it has a very nice sound (one of the divining synths of creating trance along with the MS2000). It is quite thin sounding at times but nothing an overdriven filter can't handle?

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:11 pm

kinda looks like something made by someone else with the novation name put on it. wish it had the look of the nova and the supernova, knobs etc. i know cosmetics mean nothing to the sound, but to me there's something about this unit which isn't exactly novation.

could be wrong.

(nova, drumsstation, bassstation, superbassstation, xio owner - usually easily hooked into buying novation products)

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:56 pm

If this a return to the Supernova synth engine as they claim , but with a few new features I consider that a bit of a shame and a bit of a step backwards. The Supernova was one of the few synths I've tried but just couldn't take to, its sound had character, just not one that I could get along with. The KS series was a major step down spec-wise, but were lovely and underrated synths and a very different character from the Nova series. I guess it didn't help that they came out around the same time as the Ion of course, but I thought the KS was the better synth than the Alesis as well. I doubt many people agree with me tho...

I haven't really followed anything Novation did after that point, or any other VA since that point on really, and I've not heard anything in my doodlings and twiddlings in music shops to encourage me to start investigating VA's again. I might be missing out, and I'm sure things have moved on in the last 5 years in features, and price/performace ratios, but soundwise and in terms of finished results I'm not sure things are that much better than they were 5 years ago. If I'm wrong please feel free to direct me to a new VA that'll change my mind, I'm open to it.