Novation Ultranova

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Novation Ultranova

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Ry-Fi wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:your chilled out hooos
Ahhhhh, man I love the chilled out hooos. Which synth is the best for those? 8-)
You can use any synth you want, the chilled out hooo comes from within. If you have the hooo inside you, whichever synth you use will channel it. :hifi:

Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Post by Ry-Fi » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:44 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Ry-Fi wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:your chilled out hooos
Ahhhhh, man I love the chilled out hooos. Which synth is the best for those? 8-)
You can use any synth you want, the chilled out hooo comes from within. If you have the hooo inside you, whichever synth you use will channel it. :hifi:
:lol:

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I said earlier in this thread that I didn't think that I would want this synth, but now I'm looking at more and more and beginning to think...hey that little guy ain't half bad. They packed a lot of stuff into a small synth. I'm now seriously considering getting it when it comes out! :shock:

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Yeah looks interesting. All down to how it sounds but I hope they do well with it. I suspect it will be quite a hit actually.

Doesn't seem to have any FM possibilities though. Also I wonder if the filters are 'hard wired' in series?

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:56 pm

masstronaut wrote:. Also I wonder if the filters are 'hard wired' in series?
There is series, parallel 1, parallel 2 (Filter 1 is driven by Osc 3 and Noise source, remaining sources feed filter 2), and drum mode (as parallel mode 2 but but Filter 1’s output is added to Filter 2’s input signals)filter routing.

The manual is available at the Novation site.

Polarelch

Post by Polarelch » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 am

I just stumbled over this synth yesterday. Well, I have noticed it some times before, but never had a closer look cos I thought it was just another micro-toy. But now I'm sure it's not.
Now I am almost sure this is what I totally want rightnow, and I'm not a beginner (even though I'm quite new to this forum ;) )

I was looking for a polysynth for stage to go with a Juno Di which I only bought for classic sounds like piano, organ, strings etc. I often considered taking a laptop but always was turned off by the thought I'd also have to carry around an Audio Interface and cables, and wondering where to put it all.
I might have been fine with "classic key sounds" coming from the laptop, but I didn't want to rely only on computer, but want a proper instrument under my hands as well. My Virus TI was too heavy for public transport, and too valuable to carry around in the city at nights (I sold it, had no use for it anymore).

So lately I have been considering a Blofeld Keyboard or a Nord Lead. I never liked the Nord sound, and the Blokey was never really "hot" for me, even more so when I heard about all kinds of bugs and issues.

So yesterday I took a closer look on the Ultranova and suddenly noticed this can very well be a major solution to my needs.
It's a polysynth. It's not too heavy. It has knobs for parameters. It's not too expensive. And it lets you take a laptop on stage without you have to worry about audio interface. The Ultranova is a true connections queen!

Considering it as a performance synth, especially if you have a laptop and a more-keys-board with you as well, I would rather call it a strong contender of Blo's and Nord's instead than just another one of the likes of Microkorg, Miniak, Micron etc.

About the design, it's the first Novation synth that attracts me, and I know from their controller keyboards that quality is not the thing to worry about with them.

If it had 49 keys or more, without getting to heavy, it would be an absolute no burner.
Anyway, this will be *the* affordable synth to go, especially if you plan a jam'n'gig-setup with laptop.
I can't wait!

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:31 pm

lol.. "Its OK I dont need to carry an audio interface now I have this thing that's 8x as big!"

Glad it worked out for you though

Polarelch

Post by Polarelch » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:49 am

The trick is that its a polysynth attached ;) But I am less enthusiastic again, now that I think of giving the Blofeld Keyboard another chance. I'm indecisive. But the ultranova does look better than current cheapo synths....

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:49 am

Yeah, the appeal here is having many quality things in one. And remember, when it comes to the interface.. we're talking Focusrite quality.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 am

I see it like this.
If It's not vintage status, or a classic. No one on VSE's going to like it. lol
give the UltraNova ten or fifteen years, and everybody here will be bidding like crazy on Ebay for these things.

my advice with these new-age synths.
buy a few you like now wile their cheap, and sell them later when the vintage status kicks in.
Or save your pennies and buy one later, wile kicking yourself, wishing you bought one all those years ago.

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Being Multi-Timbral is one of the main features I look at in a synth. Does no one sequence w/ hardware units anymore? Besides me, I guess not many, but even if so, seriously how hard would it be for Novation to have implemented that? They had it in the old 90s novas, and in the K Series.

But event so , I do love the sound of the old Nova series even if it was the effects that made it sound great. I guess I'll need to test it out, but I a praying it doesn't have sound issue. After the nova's, the k, x, and xio series all suffer from clicks. Adjusting the attack or getting rid of some effects always helps a little, but I hate when Im programming and am limited. The Nova's never had this problem. I'm curious as to how this will function. Same engine, maybe, but in the age of Cheap sh!T, Ill have to mess w/ it myself.

This does look fun thou, as I have a xstation now that I mess around with, but looking online its $700! Dang, I could get a used Lil Phatty, DS Mopho Keyboard, Tetra, Waldorf Micro Q Keyboard, sweet analog synth for that. Perfect board for me maybe to wait until it hits the used market.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:43 am

^ I agree..
The sad thing is this isn't an updated nova at all, it's a xiosynth with a less ugly case and some extra synthesis features