Novation Ultranova

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Re: Novation Ultranova

Post by Mr Knesh » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:26 pm

6 osc VA synth. Sounds badass to me.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:33 am

Just pre-ordered one. :)
soundcloud.com/vectron

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500
Band: Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 am

Alex E wrote:Just pre-ordered one. :)

From Nova? Did they give you an ETA?
Synths:
Avalon Bassline . TB-03 . JU-06 . MX-1 . Blofeld . MicroMonsta . Akai S5000
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:02 am

Computer Controlled wrote:

Novamusik.

Novation said it will be out by the end of Q4 2010, so that would be sometime between October and December of this year.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:29 am

Alex E wrote:

Novamusik.

Novation said it will be out by the end of Q4 2010, so that would be sometime between October and December of this year.

Very cool. I was actually just absent mindedly checking Nova and came across the Ultranova. I am not really sure what to think of it yet. Is it going to be a worth addition to the Nova family, or is it going to be more of a name hi jacking ala the "Oberheim" OB-12? You'll have to let us know.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:42 am

Neonlights84 wrote:Very cool. I was actually just absent mindedly checking Nova and came across the Ultranova. I am not really sure what to think of it yet. Is it going to be a worth addition to the Nova family, or is it going to be more of a name hi jacking ala the "Oberheim" OB-12? You'll have to let us know.
I dont see how its going to be that different from the umpteen other synths they built using the Nova code... Supernova, Nova, V-station, K-station, X-station, Xiosynth, etc. They've added wavetables and a deeper mod matrix, but its going to be at least as capable as a K-station is.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:26 am

Neonlights84 wrote: Very cool. I was actually just absent mindedly checking Nova and came across the Ultranova. I am not really sure what to think of it yet. Is it going to be a worth addition to the Nova family, or is it going to be more of a name hi jacking ala the "Oberheim" OB-12? You'll have to let us know.
As far as I can tell right now, it's an enhanced Supernova II engine with more limited controls. But the reason why I'm going to sell all my s**t to buy this is because the controls seem very straightforward and "ESQ-1 soft button-esque" and
It pretty much covers as much ground as I could ask a studio tool to cover right now; combining a few different quality things into one. And to me, that's worth investing in.
soundcloud.com/vectron

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:08 am

Is this some sort of joke? This is the most pathetic excuse for a synthesizer I've seen in a long, long time. It's this sort of rubbish that throws synthesizer development into chaos. I think Novation need a good ticking off for releasing such an utter farce of a 'synthesizer'.

The Youtube Video only shows that programming this thing is like programming a 1980's DX7. Are they seriously suggesting that people today should scroll though numeric menus?

And 18 note polyphony - that's 1990's Nord type polyphony.

The Roland GAIA offers almost four times the polyphony and a spectacular control surface. I mean, who do Novation think they are selling to - a bunch of morons? And by comparison to their own legacy of instruments, this is an insult. Clearly Focusrite have destroyed the excellent synthesizer design/innovation company Novation used to be. If Novation could not survive as a serious synthesizer company, then they should have been let go to the wall. Surviving as a company to release this sort of absolute rubbish is a nonsence. They ought to be ashamed of themselves peddling this sort of 'junk' as some sort of reincarnation of their otherwise rich legacy.

Kevin.

Computer Controlled
Gear: SH-101 . TB-3 . TR-8 . Juno-1 w/PG-300 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . Beatstep Pro . Pioneer RMX-500

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 am

knolan wrote:.

The Youtube Video only shows that programming this thing is like programming a 1980's DX7. Are they seriously suggesting that people today should scroll though numeric menus?
Not even close. DX7? Come on. Numeric menus? Where? Hit the button for whatever section you want to edit, use the associated knob. Pretty damn easy! Nowhere NEAR as annoying as a DX. Easier than even the ESQ-1. More a kin to Waldorf or even the Xpander than anything else.
Synths:
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:49 am

Not even close. DX7? Come on. Numeric menus? Where? Hit the button for whatever section you want to edit, use the associated knob. Pretty damn easy! Nowhere NEAR as annoying as a DX. Easier than even the ESQ-1. More a kin to Waldorf or even the Xpander than anything else.
ESQ-1..., Xpander? Are you serious in even daring to bring up those 1980’s dinosaurs as acceptable comparisons? You're making my point here! All that sort of menu / numeric dial nonsense was abandoned decades ago.

Have you actually looked at the video – it took the demonstrator over a minute to set up just a few basic parameters. That's an eternity w.r.t live playing, creative sound design and so on.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no excuse here - I think Novation are just scraping the bottom of the barrel in trying to extract money from people for outrageous, dated rubbish. They've reached a new 'low' in releasing junk like this. It beggars belief when compared to any half-descent synthesizer from a plethora of other manufacturers.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Alex E » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:53 am

knolan wrote: ESQ-1..., Xpander? Are you serious in even daring to bring up those 1980’s dinosaurs as comparison? You're making my point here! All that sort of menu / numeric dial nonsense was abandoned decades ago.
If you believe that, then you probably haven't been to a Guitar Center since 1986.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Computer Controlled

Post by Computer Controlled » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:57 am

knolan wrote:

ESQ-1..., Xpander? Are you serious in even daring to bring up those 1980’s dinosaurs as acceptable comparisons? You're making my point here! All that sort of menu / numeric dial nonsense was abandoned decades ago.

Have you actually looked at the video – it took the demonstrator over a minute to set up just a few basic parameters. That's an eternity w.r.t live playing, creative sound design and so on.

I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no excuse here - I think Novation are just scraping the bottom of the barrel in trying to extract money from people for outrageous, dated rubbish. They've reached a new 'low' in releasing junk like this. It beggars belief when compared to any half-descent synthesizer from a plethora of other manufacturers.

So because it took someone on a video too long by your standards means someone who does know what they're doing is going to take just as long? And have you even played or used an ESQ-1 or an Xpander? Dinosaurs? I think not. Your point was to compare it to a DX7, which isn't even close.

And by your standards, vintage synths are dinosaurs. Nice one. Shows your age i guess. Run along with your Gaia now...
Synths:
Drum Machines:
TR-09 . TR-8

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:05 am

knolan wrote:The Roland GAIA offers almost four times the polyphony and a spectacular control surface. I mean, who do Novation think they are selling to - a bunch of morons?

The Roland Gaia offers almost four times the polyphony with no way to use it, no modulation matrix to speak of, and if you turn osc sync on it becomes a $600 virtual analog monosynth.

Who do they think they are selling to? The same market as the Micron, Microkorg/MicrokorgXL, R3, etc... i.e. the VA synths that are actually moving in real numbers.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:10 am

knolan wrote:Is this some sort of joke? This is the most pathetic excuse for a synthesizer I've seen in a long, long time. It's this sort of rubbish that throws synthesizer development into chaos. I think Novation need a good ticking off for releasing such an utter farce of a 'synthesizer'.

And 18 note polyphony - that's 1990's Nord type polyphony.

The Roland GAIA offers almost four times the polyphony and a spectacular control surface. I mean, who do Novation think they are selling to - a bunch of morons? And by comparison to their own legacy of instruments, this is an insult. Clearly Focusrite have destroyed the excellent synthesizer design/innovation company Novation used to be. If Novation could not survive as a serious synthesizer company, then they should have been let go to the wall. Surviving as a company to release this sort of absolute rubbish is a nonsence. They ought to be ashamed of themselves peddling this sort of 'junk' as some sort of reincarnation of their otherwise rich legacy.

Kevin.
If you think the GAIA is a reference, then you should be ashamed to post in this thread ;)

The GAIA is truly a piece of "junk" with baby interface for "morons" who think that synthesizers is only about saw wave, cut off and amplitude envelopes.

The UltraNova offers you a extremely deep sound engine with a modern dynamic interface. It takes the Nova heritage and push it forward. You get more filters, Wavetables, more modulation (even recursive modulation), more LFO, more effects (5 simultaneous), a USB audio interface, a faster DSP, a larger LCD, 8 touch sensitive encoders, etc...

Sure the polyphony is limited to 18 voice, but who cares? It's a monotimbral synth!

The UltraNova is way more ambitious than fake vintage instruments like the Roland GAIA (or the atrocious SH201, that I'm ashamed to own). Novation, just like Waldorf, is an innovative and creative synth company. The Xio is a little wonder. The UltraNova is surely even better (and still extremely affordable).

We can debate over the sound, sure. But your accusations are unfounded.

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:29 am

I sort of like it. If I hadn't lots of other expenses (expected and unexpected) I think I'd seriously try to get one. Also the fact you get pretty much a complete package for that price is quite good IMHO. Laptop, ultranova, low cost DAW software (Reaper, FL) and freeware plug-ins = insta-portable-fun. I can definitely see this selling more than the GAIA while probably sounding better.

Oh, and I sort of want Access to update my TI with "hypertriangle" and whatever novation put that is basically a copy of the Hypersaw
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah